Adverts in MSN Apps ( news , weather etc. )

Tw4T

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi, after updating the Microsoft apps on my wp8.1 device I was shocked to see adverts for the first time. Before the update there where simple ads that linked to other MS products, ie Finance, but now the adverts are FAR more intrusive. After looking at the weather app today there was a prominent add that looked like a mini control panel with the "message" icon stating I had a message. Out of curiosity I clicked the ad and was redirected multiple times to a website that had a fake competition stating I was eligible to win an iPad. After reading the small print, it was in fact a subscription service that costs ?5 a month via a premium rate text service. I am not at all happy with this kind of advertising and Microsoft should be ashamed of themselves. I bought a Window phone fair and square and did not not buy an advertising platform. This must stop. How can I remove these adverts and complain to MS. I am really not happy that windows phone is travelling the same dodgy road as Android. What do you think, should MSN apps ( news, weather, finance, health and fitness etc.. ) place these types of ads in there software?

Shinigami910

Sep 26, 2013
Visit site
I have just opened all my msn apps I have installed. And im not seeing the problem you are. I see no ad banner in the app at all. Could you please post a screenshot?

Tw4T

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
Could it have anything to do with the fact I flashed a HK variant to a GB version? I'm still seeing the small banner ad at the bottom of the MSN/Bing apps, today there for Experian (UK Credit Reference Firm). Really annoying.

Tw4T

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I've just done a hard reset and disabled "Advertising Preference Sharing" in the setup procedure. Next time I come across the ad in either News or Weather ( where I was seeing them the most ) I'll post another screenshot.

o0Nighthawk0o

May 15, 2013
Visit site
I did finally find one in the Food and Drink app. Took a lot of digging to find it as the ads are not prominent and are inserted at the bottom of the page.

Considering that the app is provided for free to the end user I don't think a small advertisement is all that big of a deal. Maybe you feel that charging for the app would be better?

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
Also seeing ads. An ad to Bing.com in the news app. Extremely disappointed. But I'm afraid we are doomed to follow the same route as Google. MS products will be full of ads in the future especially when windows 10 becomes a free OS. That's why I am against it becoming free. It will ruin everything and they can never go back because then people get angry. So we are doomed to see more ads in the future. I'm afraid even on the start screen eventually.

Tw4T

Apr 19, 2014
Visit site
I haven't mentioned I suffer from OCD, and one of the symptom are not being able to cope with ANY adverts, the sight of just one makes me have to do a hard reset. I know its totally illogical but its the way my brain works unfortunately. So yes, I would quite happily pay for a premium app that was advert free. Moving to windows phone from google was a god send to me in the beginning, but now, I am getting no enjoyment out of my L1520. As crise said, advertising is the future and I'm afraid I am going to have to leave WP and go back to a "dumb" phone. I Hope that me opening up explains why I am so obsessed with the ads in msn products. I hope you understand.

anon(5969054)

May 7, 2013
Visit site
People want everything free, we are doomed to get everything for free but full of ads. I think your dumb phone wont save you for long as I think they will eventually die out.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb