Navigon maps vs Here maps

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If I download the maps app on my Nokia 822 and then use Navigon rather than Here Drive do I need to install the maps from Navigon or does the app find the here maps and use them?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If I download the maps app on my Nokia 822 and then use Navigon rather than Here Drive do I need to install the maps from Navigon or does the app find the here maps and use them?

Navigon uses its own set of maps, unfortunately. Otherwise they couldn't make money from their annual map update subscription they're offering. Even though I prefer the voice and features of Navigon, I most often use Here, as its maps are newer, hence more accurate.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
If you go to "maps" on the phone and then settings you can choose Navigon or Here+ or I suppose another installed navigation.
So I'm still not sure whether or not I need Navigon maps.

muvig

Apr 23, 2012
Visit site
My wish is for HERE Maps to update there maps more frequently for on other countries that have outdated maps.
i have been updating map data on HERE Creator but it takes years for them to really update them on the actual Maps.

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
If you go to "maps" on the phone and then settings you can choose Navigon or Here+ or I suppose another installed navigation.
So I'm still not sure whether or not I need Navigon maps.

That just determines which voice navigation app is used whenever you choose to start a voice guided navigation from one of the map apps (or wherever else this feature is implemented). It doesn't have any influence on the actual maps that are used. HERE maps are only available to apps that specifically target them (e.g. HERE maps, HERE Drive and so on). Navigon has its own set of maps.

Edward_g

Dec 16, 2012
Visit site
When Navigon is opened the first thing you see at the bottom right corner is "Here Maps".
So how does that work if Navigon uses Navigon?

dKp1977

Jul 14, 2011
Visit site
When Navigon is opened the first thing you see at the bottom right corner is "Here Maps".
So how does that work if Navigon uses Navigon?

Navigon uses maps provided by navteq, which is now known as HERE. ;) Or something along the lines, those business changes are too blurry for me to completely comprehend. :) Nevertheless, Navigon obtains their maps from HERE. But these have nothing to do with the HERE maps you download to your device. Navigon doesn't use these. You can try it for yourself. Download as many maps as you want and install Navigon then. The first thing Navigon is going to do is prompting you to download maps.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05