Skype performance on high end devices?

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
I'm new to Skype and just started using it recently on my Nokia Lumia 520. But the problem with Skype app is that it's not smooth, takes too much time to process my command, messages are not in sync, images sent in group by people using other platform can't be displayed, no notification alerts. Does this happen on Lumia 1520 or 930 which has a considerable amount of ram?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
not a high-end anymore, but Skype performs decently on my 920.

notifications have been mostly turned off, photos weren't really an issue.
and its also in sync.

its not blinding me with speed, nor is it as snappy as the text messages ex-hub, but it doesn't leave me wanting for the most part.

mathsisbest

Nov 1, 2014
Visit site
Skype is relatively fast on my Lumia 1520 & 930. Not too slow. Opens pretty quickly. I am getting notifications and not experiencing any of the problems you listed.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
930, 735, 720 - Skype is as good or bad as Messenger by Facebook. Chatting experience is similar on all three devices. 520 is low end. Skype needs resources to run in background. It's obvious it will struggle if you have other apps taking up RAM.

Using my Halloween Lumia 930.

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site
For whatever reason, Skype on WP8.0 is ridiculously fast. Like faster than Messenger, WhatsApp, Telegram on a Lumia 820, therefore 1 GB device.

However as soon as I installed WP8.1 it slowed down significantly.

On WP8.0, I didn't even have to wait for it to load anymore, tap on app, very short resuming ( it always resumed even though the app wasn't open) screen and then everything was up to date in the app.

I hope WP10 will have all the necessary APIs to allow Skype to transition to a full, modern, WinRT universal app.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Even on my 1520, Skype is not nearly as smooth or clear as it should be. I made a brief foray into iOS a while back, and about the only thing I really came away impressed with was Facetime. It was crystal clear, fast, and very smooth. MS needs to put some serious work into this in my view.

davenc

Jan 6, 2015
Visit site
I installed Skype on my 520 to the SD card and it was horrible. It is much smoother after moving it to phone memory.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Even on my 1520, Skype is not nearly as smooth or clear as it should be. I made a brief foray into iOS a while back, and about the only thing I really came away impressed with was Facetime. It was crystal clear, fast, and very smooth. MS needs to put some serious work into this in my view.

Oranges vs Apple. Username for Skype is HUGE compared to Facetime lot. They are designed differently for different purposes. Skype was never built for mobile. Facetime was born on mobile. Skype is evolving though but backend changes are slow.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Oranges vs Apple. Username for Skype is HUGE compared to Facetime lot. They are designed differently for different purposes. Skype was never built for mobile. Facetime was born on mobile. Skype is evolving though but backend changes are slow.

Don't get me wrong, my overall WP experience is better, which is why I switched back. However, when it comes to Face Time versus Skype, all I really care about is that one works really well and the other doesn't.

Last edited:

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site

Agreed. The horsepower of the 1520 certainly helps a lot, but it's definitely no speed demon. The guys saying it's as smooth as Facebook Messenger are on something... Messenger is blindingly fast by comparison.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Agreed. The horsepower of the 1520 certainly helps a lot, but it's definitely no speed demon. The guys saying it's as smooth as Facebook Messenger are on something... Messenger is blindingly fast by comparison.

Nope messenger is slow as snail when you have too many threads or a few with tons of stickers!

PratikMade

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site

Even Skype on PC is not that good I experienced some lags there too on my core i5 and 4gb ram PC!

poddie

Sep 12, 2011
Visit site
Do you use Microsoft account or Skype ID for Skype? I've noticed connectivity issued are lesser with Microsoft account.

Microsoft account. Really the big issue is speed. It's just slow to do most things in Windows Phone Skype. It keeps getting incrementally better though... I just really hope they can do something like what Denim is going to do for the camera. I would love if they could just reserves a certain amount of ram so there is almost no delay starting.

rockstarzzz

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Microsoft account. Really the big issue is speed. It's just slow to do most things in Windows Phone Skype. It keeps getting incrementally better though... I just really hope they can do something like what Denim is going to do for the camera. I would love if they could just reserves a certain amount of ram so there is almost no delay starting.

The only delay I see is syncing back from cloud in both phone and desktop. Once that pulls down quickly using Wi-Fi or 4G, I'm golden. Never waited now than a couple of seconds max if it's not tombstoned.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos