Funny, WP's lack of marketshare resulted in a better Fly Delta app

Mike Gibson

Apr 17, 2013
Visit site
I now have all three ecosystems in my house. I have an HTC 8X, my daughter has a Note 4, and I switched my wife from a 920 to an iPhone6+ yesterday. I've had a chance to see how the same app functions on all of the main platforms. The thing I noticed the most about the Fly Delta app on the three systems is that both the Android and iOS versions include more "house advertising" of additional purchases from Delta. They're kind of pushy about it. The WP8 Fly Delta app is just a basic get'er done app showing your upcoming flights, details, etc. Not a lot of scrolling past "upgrade" or "try this" banners taking up precious screen space. The WP Fly Delta app is information dense in comparison to iOS and Android.

I've found the whole app extravaganza on iOS and Android underwhelming. The Infinite Campus app isn't available on WP but is on iOS and Android. Those versions are poorly written and have a bizarre UI. For example, grades on assignments are sorted by class and listed in ascending time order, meaning you have to scroll the entire list to get to the latest entries. WTF? The web interface has a simple list of grades sorted in descending time order then a separate section for each class. We don't use the craplet but rather view the web page on Android and iOS, just like we did with our app-less WP phones.

Another thing I don't like about Android or iOS is that I can't pin a contact on the main screen. In WP I pin my wife, daughter, and Home to the main screen. To text or call is two taps on the screen (tap the contact and tap the function to execute). In iOS I have to double click the physical button and tap one of the (limited) Favorites listed. But that always calls rather than let me choose to text or call. Maybe I'm missing something, I don't know.

I'm sure there are plenty of useful applets on iOS and Android. However, my overall impression is that applets are the latest hula-hoop craze. Lots of press and buzz (which is initiated by companies trying to make big bucks, btw, and boy have they succeeded) but ends up being an "emperor has no clothes" when you get into the details. Maybe I'm just a Luddite?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss