Weave News Reader replacement

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I woke up today to check my News and found out my beloved app is now dead, confirmed on Twitter as well, it's sad day for Windows Phone users :(

Been a Weave user from almost day one of owning a Windows phone 7 device. It was truly the best news reader for phone ever. In the last 2 or so months, it's had a few bugs and issues but, over all from it's life, it was one of the best apps for Windows Phone... I did pay $9.99 for the app because I thought it was that good.

I tried NextGen, It's ok, Not as nice looking as Weave but, I guess it will do. Only thing I do like about it is it uses feedly, so I can setup all my feeds on the PC and go. I did set it up about a week ago so I was ready when this day came.

The thing is, Weave had these all set for me, I didn't have a need for feedly....

So, out of a single Newsreader(I want one news reader for everything) what other options are there besides NextGen that support Feedly(or other options) ?

I did get a refund for Weave...

nycny

Nov 27, 2009
Visit site
I've been poking forums to Keep Weave Alive and all I hear is cricket chirp.
Windows Phone News, (WP7)is still alive, from same developers.
Tech News Now also.

Last edited:

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I loved Weave but I find I'm liking Nextgen better ;)
One thing though - I can't get its primary tile to be live, no how.

Bugbog

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
After being able to aggregate my news-feeds into sections, that's the No.1 Primary requirement any news reader replacement must have; The ability to pin tiles and display [beautifully] the content within. So whenever I glance at my start screen I can easily delve into anything that looks good.

Sadly NextGen, being the most bandied Weave replacement, fails at this; consistently failing to deliver headline articles or images properly. Instead defaulting to tile transparency and article count flips which, if I were to pin just the one section could be moderately acceptable, but when pinning 5 to 6 wide tiles (yeah, Weave was really a big staple on my start screen) is a big no-no! (And no matter how much one tries to adjust the settings it just doesn't behave!).

Last edited:

jojoe42

Sep 13, 2013
Visit site
I've actually discovered that the MSN News app is pretty good...well either that or now it doesn't suck as much as it used too :p

MKairys

Dec 7, 2012
Visit site
I use the MSN News for most of the feeds I read and Nextgen for a few I can't get fromMSN. But I've noticed that many of my sources never show up in the headlines, while many of the headlines are from sources not in my list! I'm going to start moving feeds that don't show up to Nextgen and see how I like it. I may end up using MSN only for headlines and general news and Nextgen for all my specific feeds.

Too bad its live tiles don't work better ...

amitnahar

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
After being able to aggregate my news-feeds into sections, that's the No.1 Primary requirement any news reader replacement must have; The ability to pin tiles and display [beautifully] the content within. So whenever I glance at my start screen I can easily delve into anything that looks good.

Sadly NextGen, being the most bandied Weave replacement, fails at this; consistently failing to deliver headline articles or images properly. Instead defaulting to tile transparency and article count flips which, if I were to pin just the one section could be moderately acceptable, but when pinning 5 to 6 wide tiles (yeah, Weave was really a big staple on my start screen) is a big no-no! (And no matter how much one tries to adjust the settings it just doesn't behave!).

Try feedsea.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers