Facebook messanger

haykol

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
Why everytime i open facebook messenger it have to check for network then connecting then syncing then connected !! It's not in android like this !! Why this happen only in windows phone

And i have to wait until finish all this till my messages sent

Last edited by a moderator:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
This feature was released as an update to the Messenger app - this was implemented by the developers (Facebook, Inc.) and hence is not a resultant of the OS being WP. This feature also tells the user what exactly the app is doing - we'd rather want to know that the app has successfully connected or not in order to know why our messages were or were not sent, rather than staring at an app that gives no clue as to why the message wasn't sent. This also gives us a hint on the quality of the Internet connection we have access to - if it takes a while to sync and connect, then the connection isn't as great as we had hoped.

Nonetheless, even if this has to happen, messages should still arrive through push notifications provided that the phone has an active internet connection. In fact, most likely, regardless if the app tells the user that it is synchronizing and then connecting or not, the user won't be able to send messages if the app hasn't done these tasks behind the scenes - the only difference now is that the user is being told of what is happening.

ttsoldier

Retired Ambassador
Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
You must be new. messenger has gotten a lot better over the past couple updates. Beside the syncing/connecting/connected happens a lot quicker now. And just picture it not being there. It's not going to make a difference. Messages can now be sent in the background.

As we are on the topic.

What's a good facebook messenger app for windows 10?

haykol

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
No i am not new i have lumia from couple of months

My messenger still give me error when i send a messages and instantly minimize the app
My messenger version is 11.0.1

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
"New" can be relative and subjective. For you, "new" may mean just a few weeks but for me it can mean four months. Depending on how technically adept a user is, it can even mean six months.

Anyway, the recent Messenger versions indeed have had an intermittent crashing problem, most frequently when trying to launch it by tapping on a relevant quick notification. What phone are you using? Have you tested the integrity and quality of your Internet connection? Use the Microsoft Network Speed Test app and check the latency and bandwidth of your Internet Connection - it's not enough to have large bandwidth; the lag/delay, jitter and packet loss % value are all equally important.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the information.

1Mbps download is on the lower range of bandwidth values and based on my experience when the bandwidth gets that low, the lag/delay (and other criteria) also "deteriorate". I've had troubles connecting to Messenger as well with a similar Internet speed... it's logical: the slower the Internet speed, the longer it will take the app to connect and synchronize, and the longer the app takes to do those two initial tasks the higher the chance that the user would already have attempted to do a lot of things with the app (swiping, opening up pages, typing, sending), putting those additional tasks in queue while the app finishes the initial task of connecting and synchronizing, and with that the load on the app increases, freezing the app and causing it to crash - at least that's a non-technical way of describing the process.

If you can, observe how the app behaves in an Internet connection that is stable at 3Mbps up (download).

By the way, is that really MB/s (mega-bytes per second) or Mbps (mega-bits per second)? The Microsoft Network Speed test app reports in Mbps.

haykol

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
I am using Ookla app for speed testing and i wanna mention that my lenovo ideatab was flying with this speed so why on windows it have to check everytime i open the app

skt_diaz

Jul 10, 2015
Visit site
This feature was released as an update to the Messenger app - this was implemented by the developers (Facebook, Inc.) and hence is not a resultant of the OS being WP. This feature also tells the user what exactly the app is doing - we'd rather want to know that the app has successfully connected or not in order to know why our messages were or were not sent, rather than staring at an app that gives no clue as to why the message wasn't sent. This also gives us a hint on the quality of the Internet connection we have access to - if it takes a while to sync and connect, then the connection isn't as great as we had hoped.

Nonetheless, even if this has to happen, messages should still arrive through push notifications provided that the phone has an active internet connection. In fact, most likely, regardless if the app tells the user that it is synchronizing and then connecting or not, the user won't be able to send messages if the app hasn't done these tasks behind the scenes - the only difference now is that the user is being told of what is happening.

Sometimes messages coming through push notifications take some time to actually show up inside the app because of this connecting and synchronising. Why doesnt this lag happen with whatsapp?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Sometimes messages coming through push notifications take some time to actually show up inside the app because of this connecting and synchronising. Why doesnt this lag happen with whatsapp?

That's a question only the developers of the Messenger app (Facebook, Inc.) can answer with certainty and authority. :smile:

But it appears logical to deduce that either the Messenger app has a larger overhead requirements which makes it require more time (and more data) to load, or the Facebook servers behave differently than the WhatsApp servers in relation to a particular region - given the same Internet speed connections in running both apps.
Both apps appear to occupy relatively the same space, with Messenger occupying just 42.65MB and WhatsApp occupying 45.22MB.

I've tested the app launch speeds, measured from the time I tap on their pinned icon to the time it's ready to be used (I can already send or read a message) and here's what I got:

WhatsApp: 3.2 seconds (no splash screen)
Facebook Messenger: 12 seconds (11 seconds splash screen, 1 second sync, connecting)

Yet, in healthy Internet Connections (such as the one I'm currently using, up to 17 Mbps download, 508 ms lag and <1% packet loss), the delay caused by the waiting for network, synchronizing and connecting phases of the app is hardly obstructive (it all takes just about a second).

Bottom line: I suspect it's the Internet connection, either or both at the server-side and the user-side, that's causing the delays in the connecting and synchronizing phases. But then again, these are all just deductions, as I'm not in anyway related to any of the developers of these apps. :smile:

P.S. I must mention that I almost always (9/10 times) have the Messenger app crash when I tap on the notification center icon of Messenger, in addition to the slow start-up time through the big blue splash screen. This, I think, is a more serious problem. :wink:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos