All Windows 10 apps fail on SD cards?

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
All Windows 10 apps fail on SD cards? Help!

Using Windows 10 on either my Toshiba Encore tablet or my Lenovo Stick 300 atom based PCs was needed mainly for the ability to move apps to another drive, as both these devices have a 32gig internal drive and W8.1 can only relocate modern apps on phones. I can move apps off to an external USB HDD fine (and do so with my stick PC) but if I do this to an SD card things go very wrong. To begin with, they install fine and launch and run without issue. Until I reboot or shut down/power up, whereupon they break. Basically, the system does not recognise that the apps are there and can't launch them (greyed out tiles on the start screen). This occurs using a variety of SD card brands (at least 3 tried, Toshiba, Samsung and Sandisk) over various capacities (16, 32 and 64gig) and classes (class 6, class 10 and some premium high speed cards at faster than class 10 speeds) all bought from reliable high street sources (no forgeries from ebay) and all work great for all other operations even on these same devices that fall over only when running apps from them. The Samsung cards (32gig and 64gig) both work fine for this purpose under Windows 8.1 on my Lumia 820 which is known to be very picky about the cards it uses. Both the stick and tablet PCs use the usual standard Intel SD card drives for the Atom chipsets (drivers are provided directly by Windows for these), Bitlocker on or off makes no difference, write caching on or off makes no difference, NTFS or exFAT makes no difference. A clean install of Windows 10 makes no difference. Searching on Bing gets me no info on this at all, which is surprising as these are the very type of devices on which users will need this feature and I get this using a clean install over two different devices and manufacturers. So, I assume this is somehow just me? Can anyone shed any light on this? Thanks pals.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Re: All Windows 10 apps fail on SD cards? Help!

Interesting, I recently bought a asus E403s and haven't gotten round to setting apps to installing on a SD card. Will do so in the next day or so, will see if the same issue persists (Running Win 10 Home build 10240 - out of the box).

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site

Originally posted by TechFreak1
Interesting, I recently bought a asus E403s and haven't gotten round to setting apps to installing on a SD card. Will do so in the next day or so, will see if the same issue persists (Running Win 10 Home build 10240 - out of the box).

Please do post your findings. As I say, an external USB 2 HDD works like a dream for my stick PC so no probs there, but I use it as an example because the SD card produces the same problem. Though the HDD trick also works fine on the Encore tablet, that is obviously not a solution for tablet use. It is a puzzler and no mistake. Perhaps there's some special card reader driver I'm not aware of that I should be using, but I can't find it from Lenovo or Intel. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has apps running from the SD card well. I am using the latest fully updated public release version of W10 home on these devices (not a test build), 32bit version of course.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Please do post your findings. As I say, an external USB 2 HDD works like a dream for my stick PC so no probs there, but I use it as an example because the SD card produces the same problem. Though the HDD trick also works fine on the Encore tablet, that is obviously not a solution for tablet use. It is a puzzler and no mistake. Perhaps there's some special card reader driver I'm not aware of that I should be using, but I can't find it from Lenovo or Intel. I would also be interested in hearing from anyone who has apps running from the SD card well. I am using the latest fully updated public release version of W10 home on these devices (not a test build), 32bit version of course.

Will do :), waiting on delivery of the sd card from amazon ;).

This is what I use to find drivers for general OEM hardware, Vendor ID in this case would 197B and device id: 2391.

View attachment 125011

pcidatabase.com

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
I've just tried again for the first time since the last W10 cumulative update. Interestingly, this seems to have fixed it! Too soon to be sure, but it looks like MS and Intel have been talking. I shall update after a while to keep you informed. Please do likewise, TF1. I can't test the Lenovo stick for a while as I'm not at that location. The W10 update has done wonders for the tablet in this regard though. Good times? Let's hope.

AndyCalling

Apr 15, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately this problem is not solved. I'm not sure why it appeared to be working right after the update, but Switching it on a few hours later and those apps cannot be seen on the card anymore. Card works fine, all other files on it are fine, just that the apps system will totally lose track of the apps saved to SD cards. Darn it.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Unfortunately, the sd card I bought has been "borrowed" for a dslr without consent whilst I was at work so have ordered another one.... lol.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett