Why do WhatsApp Chats show phone numbers instead of names?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

I have WhatsApp client version 2.16.64 installed on my Lumia 535 double SIM with Windows Phone 10, version 1511. For some days now, under "Chats", the full phone numbers are shown instead of corresponding names. That makes it difficult to attribute chats to the right person. Additionally, I can't start a new chat since only four contacts (out of several dozen contacts) are listed in "Favourites".

I have heard of other persons having this issue, but so far, I did not find a solution, WhatsApp support seems to be working with computerized answers that don't make much sense...

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have WhatsApp client version 2.16.64 installed on my Lumia 535 double SIM with Windows Phone 10, version 1511. For some days now, under "Chats", the full phone numbers are shown instead of corresponding names. That makes it difficult to attribute chats to the right person. Additionally, I can't start a new chat since only four contacts (out of several dozen contacts) are listed in "Favourites".

I have heard of other persons having this issue, but so far, I did not find a solution, WhatsApp support seems to be working with computerized answers that don't make much sense...

on the contacts section in whatsapp, select refresh
If that does not change anything, try a soft reset
In privacy settings, is whatsapp allowed to access contacts? -confirm
Lastly, if the above fails, uninstall and reinstall whatsapp

If you need additional help or have more questions or details to share, please join the site so you can reply in this thread. See this link for instructions on how to join Windows Central.

struppi

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

Reply to your remarks:

on the contacts section in whatsapp, select refresh ==> There is no such entry (It might have to do with the fact that I use another language version of WhatsApp). There is however an entry that says "favourites". I refreshed the list. Nothing happens.

If that does not change anything, try a soft reset ==> You mean shutting down the phone and turning it on again? I did that many times, it did not change anything.

In privacy settings, is whatsapp allowed to access contacts? -confirm ==> Where exactly are those settings?

Lastly, if the above fails, uninstall and reinstall whatsapp ==> I have done this, it did not change anything.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for replying.

Reply to your remarks:

on the contacts section in whatsapp, select refresh ==> There is no such entry (It might have to do with the fact that I use another language version of WhatsApp). There is however an entry that says "favourites". I refreshed the list. Nothing happens.

If that does not change anything, try a soft reset ==> You mean shutting down the phone and turning it on again? I did that many times, it did not change anything.

In privacy settings, is whatsapp allowed to access contacts? -confirm ==> Where exactly are those settings?

Lastly, if the above fails, uninstall and reinstall whatsapp ==> I have done this, it did not change anything.

settings >privacy > check for a section for contacts or people

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Difficult to find if you don't mention the exact place where to look up. Again, consider that I am using the German version of WhatsApp

I know and I'm sorry about that but I don't have my phone with me so I'm doing this from memory

People app, tap the 3 dots, go to settings > filter contacts list. Are all accounts selected to show?

struppi

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
What do you mean with soft reset? Shutting down the phone and turning it on again? I did that many times.
How shall I add all my contacts again?
Please be a little more specific. Thanks!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
What do you mean with soft reset? Shutting down the phone and turning it on again? I did that many times.
How shall I add all my contacts again?
Please be a little more specific. Thanks!

I think what he's trying to say about adding contacts again is this

This can take a while -
Go to pc, browser, open your outlook account, go to the people section (when outlook mail is open, tap the box of dots you see on the top left - it will show different sections for people, onedrive etc.

Open people app, download or export all contacts as csv file. Make sure the file has downloaded and you can open it on pc
Then select all contacts, delete them

On the phone, sync your email account from settings >email and accounts. T

Once that is done, go back to the browser, select import contacts on the people section and choose the file that you had downloaded - then sync on the phone again - let the contacts sync back and then check whatsapp

struppi

Mar 22, 2015
Visit site
Better late than never: Thanks for all your inputs so far. I didn't follow the last one as it was somewhat unclear.

Latest info however from WhatsApp support: My problem is known with Microsoft, they should be working on a solution. Did anybody in this forum hear any details already? Thanks for letting know the community.

mohamed els

Feb 14, 2018
Visit site
Hi Sir
i had the same problem and i have solved it this way , go to settings , privacy,contact,then check the whatsApp icon, the names of your contact should appear in the whatsAPP chat list, hope this is will help you
Regards
mohamed

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte