Where has Client for Hangouts gone?

Moskigirl

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
Hello

A couple of months ago, I downloaded the paid version of Client for Hangouts.
Now it's nowhere to be seen.

Anyone knows what happened?

Last edited:

Sean Burcham

May 16, 2016
Visit site
That's a great question. I have been using this app for work since they first released it. The have come a long way, but I feel like the app has been slipping lately. It looks like the app was last updated on my phone on 11/29/2016.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
It looks like the app was last updated on my phone on 11/29/2016.
From what you say it looks like the app is still supported but it was removed from the Store only. Maybe it was because of "Hangouts" in its name, I heard they were about to remove apps from the Store which have a name it something else in itself. For example the developer of Windows Novosti (an app for Windows fans from former Yugoslav republics) has renamed his app to WinNovosti not to have this "Windows".

You could contact the developers of this app and ask what it is about. Hopefully it us what I said, and oh that case they will most likely rename their app to "Hangy" or wherever...

Sent from mTalk on Windows 10 phone

Moskigirl

Sep 10, 2016
Visit site
From what you say it looks like the app is still supported but it was removed from the Store only. Maybe it was because of "Hangouts" in its name, I heard they were about to remove apps from the Store which have a name it something else in itself. For example the developer of Windows Novosti (an app for Windows fans from former Yugoslav republics) has renamed his app to WinNovosti not to have this "Windows".

You could contact the developers of this app and ask what it is about. Hopefully it us what I said, and oh that case they will most likely rename their app to "Hangy" or wherever...

Wow! Windows is doing everything it can to prevent developers from developping apps for Windows Phone.
It's a shame because I like the Windows environnement et its minimalistic UI but as soon as my Lumia 735 stops working I'll switch to Android.
Being left out of everything as a windows phone user is tiring.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Actually, what they do is a good thing, although it may seem absurd at first. With this example if Windows Novosti which I mentioned - they promote Windows Mobile in the best possible way, and yet they needed to obey, and they respect the decision of Microsoft.

If a user searches for Skype, it would be bad if they allowed having Microsofts Skype as Skype, and for example "Skype for Windows Mobile" by another developer. Those two have got to have different names, there has to be no confusion which one is official, and which one is not. Same goes for Hangouts, even though we all agree it us not so likely for Google to release their own client for the service.

What you need to do right now is contact the developer, and you will know all the details. I am interested to know the details myself as I also had in mind to purchase this app.

Plus, what I said may not be the case, maybe they don't stay have any issue with their name, that was only my guess. But if it is the case, then the developers are to blame actually because they could simply update their app in the Store with the new name. Maybe they have removed the app from the Store themselves only until the change the came if the app, who knows... :) Just ask them, and let us know what they said. :)

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I emailed them earlier this week (dec 6) because I have lots of problem with notifications stop working.

I uninstalled it because it was getting really unreliable only to find I couldn't install it again.

They said they were having problems with windows store
At the moment, there are some difficulties in Windows Store and we are addressing this issue and we will do everything possible so that the application was again available in Store as soon as possible. Thank you for your understanding. We appreciate it and will contact you again soon.

Man I thought I was the only one that used it :) Unfortunately it has gotten really slow and also notifications, the most important thing in my opinion wasn't reliably working.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
I emailed them earlier this week (dec 6) because I have lots of problem with notifications stop working.

I uninstalled it because it was getting really unreliable only to find I couldn't install it again.

They said they were having problems with windows store

Man I thought I was the only one that used it :) Unfortunately it has gotten really slow and also notifications, the most important thing in my opinion wasn't reliably working.

Curious. Someone mentions it hasn't been updated in a while. And then you mention it has gotten real slow. I bet you had an OS update though....

I think .497 release preview has given me some new issues i never had with odd lag from time to time. Probably why it wasn't released to the public along with the Desktop build.

Player Piano

Jan 18, 2016
Visit site
Curious. Someone mentions it hasn't been updated in a while. And then you mention it has gotten real slow. I bet you had an OS update though....

I think .497 release preview has given me some new issues i never had with odd lag from time to time. Probably why it wasn't released to the public along with the Desktop build.
On a positive note though, the number of random reboots I was having were drastically reduced once I installed the release preview. I am still experiencing random reboots, just not several times per day as was happening with the current production build.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site

Almost but not quite :) Unfortunately, I've been having problems with the app for quite a while now. In mid September, they came out with 1.0.47 or something and was a lot more feature packed I guess but since then, it hasn't been really reliable for me in terms of being notified and I find it slow.

UWP Stuff like skype, Instagram, twitter work fine, old non uwp like WhatsApp, are reliable. Just not sure what client for hangouts is doing wrong. Maybe it's not their fault and it's google making it difficult.. who knows!

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
It is too irresponsible from them to sell their apps, and then don't solve such issues, and leave their users behind. Whatever problem is, they should let people know.

Sean Burcham

May 16, 2016
Visit site
I've contacted the developer several times, and he said he was having Store issues (whatever that means). Hopefully it will be back up in the new year, because I really need that app for work.

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
I know some other developers who had some Store issues, and who solved it much more quickly...

garisa

Sep 20, 2016
Visit site
Now I tried it. I miss the transparent white live tile. The interface is really good, but it syncs the received messages forever. I mean, it shows me that some thread are unread, and the app just won't mark them as read. I have later uninstalled it. I will check later again to see if it works better. :)

Good to see they've done something to bring the app back to the Store.

anthonyng

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
hmm strange, not the same company it seems, attractormobile.com vs mmtglobal.org....

No mention of a change from either site

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99