Best Podcast App?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Well I can't find the Podcast app Microsoft had built. They've given up on us! Podcast Lounge is giving me troubles too. Sometimes it just hangs after I press play, and the images to the podcasts wont load for some reason so I have to click each individual pod cast until I find the right one. Very annoying!

Anyone have recommended podcast apps that regularly get updated?

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I hear a lot about Grover Pro, and it also uses the iTunes database if I'm not mistaken. If most of your podcasts are hosted on SoundCloud, I suggest AudioCloud. It's a great app.

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Here is a link to the stock Podcast app... https://www.microsoft.com/store/apps/9wzdncrfhv5h

IDK, I use the stock app because it seems to handle certain things better as it's kind of hardwired in... However, It kind of sucks, crashes a lot, and sometimes requires a phone restart to pick up the last podcast where you were listening to it previously.

Think I'll keep an eye on this thread to see if any really good alternative pops up. Will have to check out Grover Pro.

gomezz

Mar 24, 2013
Visit site
With Podcast Lounge you could change the display to List Format to work round the lack of images.

I sometimes get the Play or other function not working first time but just repeat. I think it may be because there is a momentary glitch in the data connection (wi-fi or mobile). I really like PL but do wonder why it needs to phone home all the time?

etphoto

Aug 15, 2007
Visit site
I am a podcast junkie and don't know if it's best but I use EZ Podder. Stay away from podcast+ Pro, not supported anymore and it stopped working. The stock podcast app has too many bugs for my liking and there are podcast it doesn't find using search.

Twitter: @PhotographyET

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
A podcast app is an essential phone app. Man, it's tough to endorse anything MS when they abandoned ship on some of its essential apps and an essential platform. I guess MS isn't too big to fail. Kind of wish i had an Apple this entire time but the battery life on those suck generally. I'm trying Podcast (beta) now. It's up to version 7. something. I'll let you guys know how it works after a few days of giving it a go.

Stephen Pedersen1

Jan 28, 2015
Visit site
Good to know. I JUST bought that app lol. sigh. Man the MS Store for mobile is a deserted wasteland. Hopefully my audiobook app AUDIOBOOKED doesn't go bad. I really wanted this phone to last me a couple years at least...

VetDuarte

May 4, 2014
Visit site
Not a Windows user anymore, but I'd recommend PocketCasts. I guess it's free for up to 3 subscriptions, then you'd have to pay if your list is longer.
It works well (or did, until I sold my last WP) AND, it's best feature!, it's cross-platform, so you can have it on WP, iOS and Android, and it syncs with it's own server, so you can start listening to a podcast on your WP, stop and continue on your iOS/Android companion seamlessly.

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I just switched to Grover Pro.

I tried I Podcast, Onecast, Podcasts (beta), Podcasts.

Grover Pro is the best, the others all had different deficiencies.

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
I just switched to Grover Pro.

I tried I Podcast, Onecast, Podcasts (beta), Podcasts.

Grover Pro is the best, the others all had different deficiencies.
Thank you for your comment. I have heard a lot about Grover Pro around these parts, and with SoundCloud's future possibly being up in the air, you sold me on this.

I agree about the shortcomings on the other ones as well too. Very stable app!

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
Well I can't find the Podcast app Microsoft had built. They've given up on us! Podcast Lounge is giving me troubles too. Sometimes it just hangs after I press play, and the images to the podcasts wont load for some reason so I have to click each individual pod cast until I find the right one. Very annoying!

I second the earlier suggestion. Grover Pro or AudioCloud

Sent from my HP Elite x3 on mTalk

camaroz1985

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
Definitely would recommend Grover Pro. Great on mobile or desktop.

Pocket Casts is great on iOS and Android (it is the app I recommend for those two platforms), but the Windows App is way behind them, and the developer has no plans to update the app or make a UWP app.

Darutto

Oct 31, 2012
Visit site
My go to podcast app has been PocketCasts for the last 3 years. Like many others, it has bugs and sometimes requires a restart of the phone. But the options and layout are superb and as someone mentioned already it is cross platform, so not a bad investment.

I also downloaded Grover Pro, I haven't used it a lot yet but it looks solid as well.

fdruid

Aug 8, 2013
Visit site
Podcasts (beta) is the one for me, I've tries all those that get recommended when the issue arises and no other app works the way I need it to. For example, this one has a setting that let's you swap the skip and scrub buttons for using it over Bluetooth. Without this, it would be a hassle to use it in my car, where I listen almost exclusively to podcasts. Podcasts! was ok but didn't have this option, so it was a deal breaker. Also, as I listen to past episodes of long series of podcasts, download management is important, as is the ability to mark listened episodes. Playlist management is probably the weakest feature on this one, but you can manage and it's pretty straightforward. In fact, I don't remember any podcast client that let's you raise or lower an episode within a playlist. But again, it's just a minor gripe.

Indistinguishable

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I hear a lot about Grover Pro, and it also uses the iTunes database if I'm not mistaken. If most of your podcasts are hosted on SoundCloud, I suggest AudioCloud. It's a great app.

+1 on Grover Pro. I use it every day. The only glitch is that it will occasionally take a couple seconds to start to play a Podcast when I hit the play button. That happens once every couple of weeks. But aside from that, I have no issues at all. Great UI, full featured, etc...

Wevenhuis

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site

Have been searching for a great surrogate podcast app to microsofts basic. For me Grover is hands down the best choice, for 10 mobile and pc.

Tarkus13

Aug 2, 2015
Visit site
There may be better apps for Windows than Pocket Casts, but it's what I use, because it syncs with the Android version, where I do most of my listening. And the Android version is killer.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
COME ON WIN ANDROID (ADI)