Lumia Edge concept phone with 2 screens

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It must reside partially in another dimension.

6.4 mm thickness, yet it can still house a 4200 mAh battery, all the claimed hardware AND a pullout secondary screen that takes up 1/2 of the internal volume... In a package with very minimal bezels on a 5.3" display...

And in that other dimension normal patent law must be suspended so that it can freely infringe on Samsung's Edge name and curved over display design.

I like concept devices, but I also like them to have a basis in being something that could be realized under the normal laws of physics and common sense.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
It started looking like an android device, especially in the camera controls.
battery tech hasn't reached that level yet, nor can a camera module of 32MP be squeezed in a space of less than 6.4mm

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site
Why is it every phone has to be so dang thin? What is the point? All it does is structurally compromises the design. All the bending forces just from being in a back pocket are absorbed by the screen and battery as you can't get an aluminum body that thin internally and have any rigidity. Plus your hands get cramped trying to hold something that thin.

I would rather have something in the 12-14mm range that would allow a good sized battery (4,500 - 6000 mAh) for all day, heavy use. Plus it give you something real to hold.

Are people so weak now they can hold a phone that size for more than a couple minutes? If so, get a Bluetooth headset and eat some Wheaties.

Last edited:

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Why is it every phone has to be so dang thin? What is the point? All it does is structurally compromises the design. All the bending forces just from being in a back pocket are absorbed by the screen and battery as you can't get an aluminum body that thin internally and have any rigidity. Plus your hands get cramped trying to hold something that thin.

I would rather have something in the 12-14mm range that would allow a good sized battery (4,500 - 6000 mAh) for all day, heavy use. Plus it give you something real to hold.

Are people so weak now they can hold a phone that size for more than a couple minutes? If so, get a Bluetooth headset and eat some Wheaties.

you have said the best thing today -I salute you. Thank you :smile:

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site

I have wondered the same thing always. 10mm seems the sweet spot for me. Actually I was a 920 user and never complained of the thickness of that baby! Best feeling in the world when I held the phone in my hands. Sadly got stolen!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I have wondered the same thing always. 10mm seems the sweet spot for me. Actually I was a 920 user and never complained of the thickness of that baby! Best feeling in the world when I held the phone in my hands. Sadly got stolen!

and you didn't recover it? Find my phone didn't work, did it? Same boat, different phone - 1020

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
Nope. Didn't recover it. I think the thief might have removed the SIM card, and reset the phone. It's painful! Sadly have to use Lumia 520 for development purposes. Saving up for buying a 640 or 650! Feel sorry for your 1020. I know the feeling!

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Nope. Didn't recover it. I think the thief might have removed the SIM card, and reset the phone. It's painful! Sadly have to use Lumia 520 for development purposes. Saving up for buying a 640 or 650! Feel sorry for your 1020. I know the feeling!

find my phone is supposed to work, even without sim, since it can check for imei - at least that's why I tend to believe since the find my phone service form my phone is set to track using imei which I believe can't change

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
Thin phones are easier to pocket so that's why people prefer them. And not only because of that but most people may put a case on it that adds thickness so if the phone is thinner the extra case keeps it within a size easy to put in your pocket. Thinner phones are also easier to hold for people of all hand sizes. Small hands can deal with them as well as normal hands. I think instead of trying to pack large batteries and make phones thicker the goal should be to get better battery tech. I do prefer thinner phones because I have smaller hands. I know people with really small hands that just can't hold thicker phones.

It's good for tech. The thinner phones get the more R&D is put into better batteries. I think the future of bendable and all screen phones will likely be the result of better technology that develops from our attraction to thin phones. Thin phones sell with the majority of people. You may not appreciate it but you're likely not the majority.

Apple is a great company as a stepping stone for future tech. It's because they force their users into new tech and their users adapt. The addition of just a usb-c port on their apple was laughed at but now OEMs are following and USB-c has become more popular as a result. It's faster, more secure and allows you to do way more than older USB ports. Of course oems are adding more than one and likely additional older ones to make the transition easier. Hubs and converters help as well. Any OEM that releases a USB-c only device can add a converter as part of the package.

Apple removing the headphone jack will pave the way for better wireless headphone tech. Likely Bluetooth 5.0 will pave the way for better quality and more reliable headphones. And this is because of something as simple as trying to make a phone thinner. Other technology progresses as a result.

While most concepts are silly and don't take engineering into consideration they are still fun to look at.

white_Shadoww

Jan 11, 2015
Visit site
find my phone is supposed to work, even without sim, since it can check for imei - at least that's why I tend to believe since the find my phone service form my phone is set to track using imei which I believe can't change

I don't know much about it! But it didn't work. I used to checked everyday.. Finally removed the phone from my Microsoft account so that no one misuses my account. Did you recover your 1020?

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
I don't know much about it! But it didn't work. I used to checked everyday.. Finally removed the phone from my Microsoft account so that no one misuses my account. Did you recover your 1020?

it's been 6 weeks now - I think I'll go back to the police to check with them. I check everyday too - I still haven't bought a smartphone since I don't feel like it and nothing can replace a 1020

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Thin phones are easier to pocket so that's why people prefer them. And not only because of that but most people may put a case on it that adds thickness so if the phone is thinner the extra case keeps it within a size easy to put in your pocket. Thinner phones are also easier to hold for people of all hand sizes. Small hands can deal with them as well as normal hands. I think instead of trying to pack large batteries and make phones thicker the goal should be to get better battery tech. I do prefer thinner phones because I have smaller hands. I know people with really small hands that just can't hold thicker phones.

It's good for tech. The thinner phones get the more R&D is put into better batteries. I think the future of bendable and all screen phones will likely be the result of better technology that develops from our attraction to thin phones. Thin phones sell with the majority of people. You may not appreciate it but you're likely not the majority.

Apple is a great company as a stepping stone for future tech. It's because they force their users into new tech and their users adapt. The addition of just a usb-c port on their apple was laughed at but now OEMs are following and USB-c has become more popular as a result. It's faster, more secure and allows you to do way more than older USB ports. Of course oems are adding more than one and likely additional older ones to make the transition easier. Hubs and converters help as well. Any OEM that releases a USB-c only device can add a converter as part of the package.

Apple removing the headphone jack will pave the way for better wireless headphone tech. Likely Bluetooth 5.0 will pave the way for better quality and more reliable headphones. And this is because of something as simple as trying to make a phone thinner. Other technology progresses as a result.

While most concepts are silly and don't take engineering into consideration they are still fun to look at.

the problem with battery tech is that any ground breaking technology is still a decade away. All new concepts seen in MIT or elsewhere, those are just in testing phases. Getting that to production will take some years. So for now we basically have the same battery technology that we had 5 years ago. What has changed is the level of efficiency of the processor and the OS. That's the way batteries last longer (marginally) than on older phones - optimise OS, optimise processor, RAM, apps etc

JM_Thomas

Oct 9, 2014
Visit site

1) Simple fix. Don't wear skinny jeans and you won't have the pocketing issue.

2) You can only make a phone so thin before being structurally unsound. I worked in machine shops for years, so I know manufacturing materials pretty well. I will agree about the improvement in batteries, those are improving.

3) Apple, i.e. Steve Jobs, was/is a marketing genius, not so much an innovator. Look at the Apple line the last 3-4 years. No real changes in their designs. USB-C was coming whether Apple adopted it or not. They adopted it because their Lightning connector got ignored by the rest of the industry since it is no better than USB-Micro connections in durability or stability.

As far as removing the 3.5mm headphone jack, that is just plain nuts. 3.5MM PCB connections have a assembly height of maybe 5-6mm tops. Buying a $10 pair of wired headphones vs $40 Bluetooth ones whose battery will last maybe a year or so....hmmm.....who is making money here?

Not knocking you personally or deriding your opinions, but tech has gone from innovating to doing stupid stuff because they have run out decent ideas and are just racking up money now.

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
the problem with battery tech is that any ground breaking technology is still a decade away. All new concepts seen in MIT or elsewhere, those are just in testing phases. Getting that to production will take some years. So for now we basically have the same battery technology that we had 5 years ago. What has changed is the level of efficiency of the processor and the OS. That's the way batteries last longer (marginally) than on older phones - optimise OS, optimise processor, RAM, apps etc

Actually Apple has developed a newer battery tech called Terraced battery cells. They used it in their macbook and were able to maintain thinness while giving it impressive battery results. It's not necessarily about just swapping lithium ion for something else. It's about these small innovations that allow for it to evolve over time.

Terraced battery cell, a unique design that adds 35 percent more battery capacity than would otherwise be achievable.

A typical lithium ion battery “pouch” type cell comprises layers of a thin sheet of aluminum or copper, coatings of a specialized material that can absorb lithium ions, and layers of plastic. Each of these layers is mere microns thick.
What Apple has figured out is how to fit these stacked electrode sheets into any size cell they choose. These different-sized cells can then be stacked on top of one another, allowing its engineers to pack as much battery as possible into any given space.

In order to assemble the terraced battery cells in the MacBook, Apple says it used high speed cameras to take photos of the casing and the battery. This process documents the minute variations in each that occur during real-world production, so that Apple can fit the batteries inside each individual casing with an unprecedented degree of precision.
Apple also—according to what it said during its Monday keynote—tweaked the chemical formula inside the cells. That didn’t have any bearing on the unique battery shape, but by altering the composition, Apple could eke a little bit more efficiency over previous MacBook batteries.

Apple has also increased their R&D budget to about the same as MS now. So they will be producing some interesting stuff. MS doesn't really have the kind of hardware experience Apple has so not sure they could do anything unique. But again that was developed purely out of the need to make it lighter/thinner. And that helps technology in the long run.

Chintan Gohel

May 23, 2014
Visit site
Actually Apple has developed a newer battery tech called Terraced battery cells. They used it in their macbook and were able to maintain thinness while giving it impressive battery results. It's not necessarily about just swapping lithium ion for something else. It's about these small innovations that allow for it to evolve over time.

Apple has also increased their R&D budget to about the same as MS now. So they will be producing some interesting stuff. MS doesn't really have the kind of hardware experience Apple has so not sure they could do anything unique. But again that was developed purely out of the need to make it lighter/thinner. And that helps technology in the long run.

how far is the technology from being used by other manufacturers of devices such as Samsung, MS, LG, HP, Nikon etc? Or is that tech to be used by apple only?

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
how far is the technology from being used by other manufacturers of devices such as Samsung, MS, LG, HP, Nikon etc? Or is that tech to be used by apple only?

Well it's patented so I'm sure that it would be a matter of licensing deals. But it also will drive competition to try to figure out their own solutions.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Originally posted by Krystianpants

I feel like you were trying to say something genuine... But I couldn't tell through all the useless faff...

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BevitalGluco2