Microsoft Game Studios

VernonEL

Nov 27, 2010
Visit site
I just want to make a quick point about Microsoft Game Studios.

I think the gaming on the Windows Phone platform is amazing!

Now, keep in mind, I'm not you're typical "gamer". On my other devices, all I would ever play would be Sudoku, and very rarely at that. I do not have a "full size gaming console" (or whatever the term is), such as an X-Box, Wii, or PS3. Neither am I a PC gamer.

What Windows Phone has done is allow me the opportunity to try (and enjoy) something that I would not have otherwise done. I now feel that the gaming aspect of Windows Phone is a very big selling point that cannot be overlooked by those in the mobile device market.

I have no doubt that other OSes have games that are similar in general quality, but I haven't experienced them myself. ...but that's my point. I haven't experienced them because I don't buy a "phone" for the games. But I'm having a good experience with Windows Phone partially because of the games.

I feel good that Microsoft has come out with something that can appeal to a wider demographic swathe of the population. Increased adoption of Windows Phone will only snowball it's growth, and will eventually add to all users experiences, even if they don't "game".

(Obviously MS has more work to do with this fresh new OS, but that is an entirely different thread... If I were talking about that, this thread would be in the OS category, not Apps, so lets stay on topic with this one.)

cdook

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
I totally agree with you. As I've gotten older my time has gotten more limited. I don't have 60 hours to beat an RPG on a console. I'm pretty much at the point now where I don't spend any time console gaming because I can't make the commitment to the game's story or learning curve. WP7 has allowed me to get a high quality gaming experience on the go. These games don't have complicated plots, big learning curves or hard to learn controls. You can just pick up and play for 5 minutes or a few hours.

I actually made a post a few weeks ago about how I think there are too many good games for the phone. All the Xbox Live titles are amazing.

Averry

Feb 2, 2011
Visit site
I totally agree with you. As I've gotten older my time has gotten more limited. I don't have 60 hours to beat an RPG on a console. I'm pretty much at the point now where I don't spend any time console gaming because I can't make the commitment to the game's story or learning curve. WP7 has allowed me to get a high quality gaming experience on the go. These games don't have complicated plots, big learning curves or hard to learn controls. You can just pick up and play for 5 minutes or a few hours.

I actually made a post a few weeks ago about how I think there are too many good games for the phone. All the Xbox Live titles are amazing.

Man, most games don't take 60 hours to beat specifically for the reasons you mentioned.

Unless you only like RPG's, than you should take a second look. But games like Mass Effect don't take very long to beat and are just amazing experiences.

That said....yeah, Microsoft has done a good job here. They, being a huge player in the gaming space, has most definitely been in a good position to succeed here. They own dev stuidos after all. But they are also a very successful publisher.

I don't personally know how many of the small games that MGS has put out are specifically from Microsoft owned companies, but they are probably just publishing most of them.

Apple sort of fell into gaming.....it is in fact a big selling point for iPhone's anymore, so for Microsoft it was essentially a huge imperative.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers