Wow Games look really bad in WP7.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
So a really cute old couple stop a my work for a cover for it's ipod touch and we started making conversations. He had a couple of games but didn't knew how to play them. ( Fruit ninja, bunch of Angry bird versions, NBA Jam and some I didn't recognized ).

Anyway I'm a avid Fruit Ninja player, lacking only one luck related achievement. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Fruit Ninja running in IOS, it's like a completly different game, so smooth, so crisp.

Why do the games look so off on my platform? Anything that Mango will fix or just lazyness of the developers?

starblade876

Jan 14, 2010
grrrinders.com
iPhone 4 has a higher screen resolution than WP7 (640x960 vs 480x800). If you compared it to the previous iPhones (3GS and below), it'd probably look better since those are all 320x480.

Also, yeah, Fruit Ninja was originally made for the iPhone, so it might just be a lazy port. When I first saw Words with Friends on Android vs the iOS version, it looked... off. And that comparison was even an Evo vs a gen 1 iPod.

When I compare Fruit Ninja on that iPod with WP7, WP7 looks better and has more detail in the wood background.

Paul Acevedo

Writer
Jan 19, 2011
Visit site
The iPhone version runs at a higher framerate (60 FPS vs 30 FPS on WP7 I believe) too. So yeah, it does look a little better. The resolution issue can't be helped, but the framerate thing and semi-glitchiness of the Achievements is simply due to developer Halfbrick's porting work.

Of course, Winterfang thinks everything looks bad...

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
I'm not negative at all, I was just shocked because I though Fruit Ninja looked really good on my phone but man for a Xbox Live phone the ports are kind disappointing. Maybe the Optimus7 is not the best phone for games.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
No one can do anything about the resolution. Most Windows Phones are about equal to the iPhone 4 in terms of strength though, so really it all comes down to lazy porting.

Get used to it, as Windows Phone 7 is a platform still in its infancy, while the iPhone is the go to home for mobile developers. Few developers will think of rebuilding their games from the ground up for our platform. And why should they when we're not even worth a quarter of the sales you can make on the iPhone?

Tobyus

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
As much as I love my WP7, I have to admit that when I compared Fruit Ninja on the iPhone 4 vs my LG Quantum, it does look better/smoother. Racing games on the iPhone are another area where I catch myself drooling. But, I have to say that my Father-in-law's iPhone 4 has had more issues than my LG Quantum so far and we got them less than a month apart from each other, one of them almost had him ready to take it in to replace it but I managed to figure out how to get it to do a hard reset and that fixed it.

Not being able to remove the battery is still my #1 complaint with the iPhone/iPod. Wouldn't trade my Quantum for one, even for the slightly better graphics and larger app selection.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
It depends what you're looking for. While there are plenty of arguments against Apple's hardware and iOS, it's not even remotely debatable that another phone offers better gaming. The iPhone still holds the reigning crown in that regard.

That being said, there's no reason why another company couldn't surpass them with time. At least Microsoft appears to genuinely wish to apply that pressure. They just need to attract more developers and find a better way of delivering key titles.

Wyn6

Jul 2, 2011
Visit site
Games that hit WP7 first, like The Harvest, look really good graphically speaking. Also, the 30fps limit on xna games has been lifted by MS. So, 60fps, here we go.

So, expect an evolution in the games department come Mango. It's kinda how the first generation of games for a new console don't look as good as subsequent gens.

condemned

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
So a really cute old couple stop a my work for a cover for it's ipod touch and we started making conversations. He had a couple of games but didn't knew how to play them. ( Fruit ninja, bunch of Angry bird versions, NBA Jam and some I didn't recognized ).

Anyway I'm a avid Fruit Ninja player, lacking only one luck related achievement. And I couldn't believe my eyes when I saw Fruit Ninja running in IOS, it's like a completly different game, so smooth, so crisp.

Why do the games look so off on my platform? Anything that Mango will fix or just lazyness of the developers?

I noticed the same thing regarding my Sensation vs my HD7. I've got Angry Birds installed on both but the Sensation plays the game a lot smoother. Not that WP7 doesn't play it smoothly because it does but next to the Sensation you can definitely tell the difference.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
1. XNA games are capped at 30 FPS. This limit will be raised to 60 FPS with the Mango update

2. All WP7 devices use the same SOC, the 1st-gen Snapdragon (actually there are a couple different versions in WP7 devices, but the only difference is the type of radios they support). It has the Adreno 200 GPU, which is pretty underpowered by today's standards, and is totally blown away by the PowerVR SGX 535 in the iPhone 4.

The next generation of Windows phones use 2nd-gen Snapdragon SOCs with the Adreno 205, which blows away the Adreno 205 (3x more powerful).

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
How does this Adreno 205 compare to the iPhone 4 hardware equivalent?

I'd say it's definitely more powerful than the PowerVR SGX 535 that the iPhone uses, but not by a huge margin.

It's hard to get a direct comparison. Here you can get some idea though:
AnandTech - The T-Mobile G2 Preview

The G2 uses the 2nd gen Snapdragon (although only clocked at 800 MHz). Nexus One and Evo 4G use the 1sg gen Snapdragon with the Adreno 200. Epic 4G and Fascinate use the PowerVR SGX 540 which is actually like 50% more powerful than the 535 used in the iPhone 4.

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
It's the first set of phones. Fresh users are always the beta testers. We'll see more juice in WP7 sets soon. I mean just look at what the Samsung Galaxy S 2 can do. If we're getting a WP7 version of that? I'm buying.

smartpatrol

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
It's the first set of phones. Fresh users are always the beta testers. We'll see more juice in WP7 sets soon. I mean just look at what the Samsung Galaxy S 2 can do. If we're getting a WP7 version of that? I'm buying.

Don't get your hopes up too high. As of now, WP7 only supports 1st and 2nd gen Snapdragon processors.

This is just my speculation, but the WP7 version of the Galaxy S II will almost certainly use the 1.4 GHz 2nd gen Snapdragon -- same CPU that the Galaxy S II Mini will use. That CPU is no slouch, but it is definitely not as powerful as the Exynos chip the real GSII uses.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
EyeTea