Why are games so expensive?

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I agree. I'm always kind of dumbfounded that people will pay $200-$300 for the phone and two to three thousand bucks for the lifetime of the dataplan, but if an app costs more than ninety-nine cents, all of a sudden they get all frugal.

Haha!! So true!!

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
It is a well understood part of consumer purchasing habits - we compare within categories not across. So if I decide to buy a coffee, I compare the price at Starbucks with another coffee shop. If decide to buy an app, I will compare it with other app stores not with a cup of coffee. It is pretty much the same for all consumer purchases.

That is why most consumers never consider the price of their phone/contract with apps - they are in both categories or reference groups.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

asac12

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
People paying premium prices for phones and contracts doesn't automatically justify games costing $5. It's difficult to find a XBL game that's rated better than 3-out-of-5 stars and not have a consensus of needing major bug fixes. Bejeweled, for example, runs faster and smoother on my GF's iPhone 4S than my Titan. I have a hard time paying $4.99 when I know a $0.99 version exists and is overall better.

roffleswaffles

Dec 16, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I'm always kind of dumbfounded that people will pay $200-$300 for the phone and two to three thousand bucks for the lifetime of the dataplan, but if an app costs more than ninety-nine cents, all of a sudden they get all frugal.
:straight: Uh... because you're investing in way different things when you spend hundreds of dollars for your phone and data plan? If you spend money on a game, that's it-- you can't return it or trade it in for another game or anything. So if you stop liking it or you don't end up playing it as much as you thought you would, too bad for you.

Besides, you can get $5 games on Steam. Why would I spend that much money on a game on my phone? That's just my reasoning-- I'm a student so I'm broke.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The market is what it is. Devs need to make a living, and until WP's install base grows, we won't see the insanely low prices that we see on the iPhone. It's part of the growing pains of being an early adopter.

With that said, I know of many iPhone owners who are hesitant to spend 99 cents on an app. And Android owners who think that if it's not free, then it's a rip off.

It's tough being a game developer right now.

scottmedes

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
I see its only 3 or 4 bucks a game but for people who like playing alot of games on a WP it adds up. Some games cost 6.99! And compared to iPod apps were most are free or a dollar , you could spend 50 bucks a month on games while only spending 10 or even less a month on iPod.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
99 cents font make much sense to me. Especially when songs are 99 cents and up!

I think people don't appreciate all the time, money, work, and RISK that goes into making a game. Even an Indy game.

So many small studios go out of business it's not funny. So many small devs have their dreams crushed because even a decent game can get overlooked so easily. It's a scary business.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa