Nokia to get exclusive EA Games

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Kotix.jpg

While Xbox LIVE games on Windows Phones are probably one of the more popular apps on the marketplace, the range of big-name titles do seem pale when compared to what?s available on rival platforms such as Apple?s App Store. In fact, we have spoken to a representative from Electronic Arts recently, and were told that EA had traditionally been focussing on the iOS platform in the mobile gaming space.

Well it seems this is set to change. During Nokia World 2011, Nokia and Electronic Arts announced that EA will be bringing some big-name games to Nokia Windows Phones. According to the Nokia Developers blog:

EA is going to bring 20 of the world?s best games to Windows Phone for Nokia. ?This time, we?ll be designing our games for an awe-inspiring experience on Windows Phone for Nokia,? Barry Cottle, Executive Vice President and GM for EA Interactive, said, noting that they plan to publish 10 games from EA as well as games from Chillingo, their indie publishing arm. There will also be seven games from the Hasbro line-up for Nokia users worldwide.

From the slide above, EA is set to bring several big-name games to the Windows Phone platform, including games like FIFA 12, Madden 12, NBA Jam, Tiger Woods PGA Tour, and third-person shooter Dead Space. This will also mean big-name titles from PopCap (which EA Mobile recently purchased), such as Bejeweled 2, will come too. Game titles from EA?s licensee Hasbro, including Risk and Game of Life, will also come to Nokia Windows Phones:

However, neither Nokia or Electronic Arts indicated when these games will be made available, or whether the games would later become available to other Windows Phones. It is anticipated that these games will be coming to Windows Phone sometime in 2012.

EA to bring big-name games to Nokia Windows Phones | LiveSide.net

TheWeeBear

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
Yeah lots of exciting WP7 news lately. Good on Nokia!

Their Lumia 800 ads are on UK TV all the time now, hopefully people will at long last get to know about WP torchxit.

Onwards and upwards. :)

Judge_Daniel

Sep 7, 2011
Visit site
This really bothers me. I wouldn't mind if Nokia received the games first, but for some reason I find it wrong to have exclusivity to a third-party app. Especially something as big as apps from EA. What if each carrier started doing this with various companies? No one would want any WP, since no phone could receive every app. I think if this trend continues, it will be the users that will be hurt by this in the long run.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The Nokia OVI store already has about a dozen EA games like sims, monopoly, fifa for the Symbian OS. All they are really saying is they are following Nokia to WP.

littlesteelo16

Oct 27, 2011
Visit site
Thinking now I may get the Lumia 800, with all the nice software its getting. Some people are complaining about the exclusivity being bad, but as TheWeeBear said, it is likely a time limited thing, and also it is unlikely these games would have ever come to wp7 if nokia hadn't thrown money at them.

I know what you mean about the uk advertising, they must have spent millions with the amount of tv and web ads I've seen. I think that this partnership is what will get wp7 out of it's little pit of no market share. HTC are now advertising their phones as well. Lets hope it pays off for them.

Terrin

Jun 13, 2011
Visit site
More or less I hope they are live enabled if only for achievements, which is the main thing for myself.

But I think its either A a timed exlusive where they can download first or B its they can download for free picking up through the marketplace with the imei showing a nokia phone, and the others have to pay the 2.99 to 6.99 for the app.

I am hoping for B as I dont mind supporting games like Dead space, Madden and Fifa (also if you look at the screen for the icons we already have at least 2 of those games I picked up bejewled 2 and flight control, so I am diffenetly leaning to 2 that its just free for them to download the special 40 games.)

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
OEMs have to do things to differentiate themselves. Otherwise, why buy a Samsung vs HTC vs Nokia? Who says that OEMs are only allowed to differentiate on hardware?

Dark Mirage

Jan 7, 2011
Visit site
I just see this as a sign of more games for everyone. Those games will obviously be super easy to port to all the other phones if they work on the Lumina, and you know this agreement won't last more than maybe a year. It'll just kinda suck that only Nokia users will have access to them immediately.

Hopefully we'll see plenty of interesting releases to the regular Xbox service alongside these ones to keep everyone happy.

selfcreation

Dec 16, 2010
Visit site
if they make games to be exclusive to NOKIA ,

2 words = EPIC FAIL

lets PIN WP7 VS WP7 ... competition with itself....

now I have to get a GOOD WP .. AND a nokia…. So I can get good games…

little apps ok , but major tittles.. wtf……

you know they are UNIQUELY doing this to try to bring nokia back in business and to prevent them from going bankrupt,

just so they can lour in a phew suckers to their UNDERWELMING 7Million $$ MS deal Pink Nokia phones. thinking its better cause it has more major titles.

I dunno whether to be mad at MS for letting them do that.... or NOKIA for doing it...

Last edited:

DarkSynopsis

Sep 13, 2011
Hopefully as others have said it just a timed exclusive thing! I would be very annoyed if I did not get these games! Though if they happen to not be LIVE Enabled that is fine I can get most of these on my iPod Touch.

I hope its not even a exclusive thing just a way of advertising the Nokia WP7 stuff since I don't believe other companies are pushing WP7 to much yet.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb