iPhones with 512mb ram vs WP 512mb ram devices

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
So yesterday Subways surfers was released for WP, and it currently requires 1gb of ram to run. However this game like many others came to iphone first (which had only 512mb ram at that time) ran perfectly. And i believe that WP8 OS compared to iOS doesn't consume much system resources. Then why does games require more resources from WP?
Is this because dev's have to port it from one platform to another? Or does iphones have magic powers?

KrisJoeEll

Aug 11, 2013
Visit site
I don't think its the architecture. For example look at 512mb/1gb version's of Halo SA, they look almost identical. I believe every game with a 1gb requirement in the windows app store can be played in any 512mb device.

Binoya Mathews

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site
Let me just add another game to the list: Angry Birds GO.Is compatible with iPhone 4 and iPhone 4S at the time of release. Not compatible with WP 512 MB RAM devices.

Its simply that the devs are going after market share. They hold iOS with high regard, can`t find a fault with that though. They make these games to get money, and even when the androids are 80 percent of the market,most of the devs earn a lot more from iOS. So, they are not that keen on optimising it, thats all.

rakesh1995

Banned
May 26, 2013
Visit site
Taking about iPhone? Every one having a iPhone dosent matter if its iPhone 1 or 5s paid the SAME price. So they deserve all apps.

Now my rant is why does subway surf runs on bugdroid aka lag/lamesdroid 512mb devices. But not on my Lumia 520.
Did ms lied about wp not being resource hungry

Sent from my snow phone 520 (RM-914_im_india_269) using Tapatalk

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Why is it soo difficult to understand? There are 10s maybe 100s of millions of 512mb Android\iOs devices, and a comparatively tiny numbers of 512mb WP devices, so developers don't put the effort into WP.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk

Nokia Boy

Sep 22, 2013
Visit site
wp8 doesnt have big population,maybe devs just focus on iSheeps,as u noticed gta sa is out only on atm,and iphone 4 might be able to play it,buut i doubt they will make an effort to make it run on my lumia..

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
I believe it has everything to do with resources and optimization. It's easier to get apps/games up and running on 1GB devices, so to get the app in the store as fast as possible, most devs will opt for the quicker route. Once the app is out, developers can then concentrate on optimizing their app for 512MB devices if they think it's possible and if there's demand.

It could have something to do with the wp8 architecture. But I think the devs are just lazy.

While there are devs with different levels of skill. Any developer that has actually published a game or app is not lazy by any means. It takes A LOT of work to make these programs we enjoy every day.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
Why is it soo difficult to understand? There are 10s maybe 100s of millions of 512mb Android\iOs devices, and a comparatively tiny numbers of 512mb WP devices, so developers don't put the effort into WP.

Sent from my RM-821_eu_euro1_342 using Tapatalk
there are more wp's with 512mb RAM than 1024mb...
If they are really THAT lazy they should've released it for 512mb devices instead :)

Kage Maru

Nov 21, 2013
Visit site
there are more wp's with 512mb RAM than 1024mb...
If they are really THAT lazy they should've released it for 512mb devices instead :)

You have to also consider the type of consumer that purchases a 512MB device. I imagine these types of phone owners to be more passive or casual, while those that buy a 1GB device would more likely be the power user who would download more apps. If someone was looking to download many apps, they probably wouldn't go with a 512MB device unless they didn't have any other choices. So while it's true that there are more 512MB phones out there, which type of owner is more likely to download and try your app? I don't have the stats to say which type of consumer is more likely to download apps, but that is one thing that developers may be looking at and considering.

DennisvdG

Feb 25, 2013
Visit site
You have to also consider the type of consumer that purchases a 512MB device. I imagine these types of phone owners to be more passive or casual, while those that buy a 1GB device would more likely be the power user who would download more apps. If someone was looking to download many apps, they probably wouldn't go with a 512MB device unless they didn't have any other choices. So while it's true that there are more 512MB phones out there, which type of owner is more likely to download and try your app? I don't have the stats to say which type of consumer is more likely to download apps, but that is one thing that developers may be looking at and considering.

Good point :)

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
. So while it's true that there are more 512MB phones out there, which type of owner is more likely to download and try your app? I don't have the stats to say which type of consumer is more likely to download apps, but that is one thing that developers may be looking at and considering.

all of them. I have a Lumia 521. I didn't have much of a choice in buying a device at the time and paid $160 for it with shipping included. I try a lot of apps.

Binoya Mathews

Sep 27, 2013
Visit site

No, not at all, especially when it comes to windows phone which an ecosystem that is just starting to develop in the earnest. A lot of people in that category, power users ,would have bought low/mid range devices rather because they need to try it out and see how far they can use it as their daily driver if they switch in the future.
And of course the developers are aware of this and that 512 MB devices make up the majority of windows phone market, but as is mentioned in here, its much easier to ensure smooth operation on the 1GB RAM devices. But then sadly ,I don`t think app developers are still looking into this ecosystem as an option in terms of making profits even at this point. They have released apps just because MSFT has paid them to have a nice ecosystem which they feel will help pick up sales. Do you think that all the game releases recently has been because of the sudden growth in windows phone market? Nope. Why is instagram still in BETA at version 0.2.1? Major app developers are still not sure about investing in the platform. That`s it and I don`t feel it will change unless WP8.1 is a major release in every aspect.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs