Deleting temporary files

Oleg Ilyin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Hi to all early adopters!

Just installed GDR3 preview on my Lumia 920. No wow effect so far, but I noticed one annoying bug or feature(?). When you go to phone storage-> temporary files and try to delete them the operation takes considerable time and if your phone screen happen to lock in progress operation is canceled. Tried to delete temporary files again tapping the screen for 5 minutes, then I got bored, screen locked again and the operation is canceled again. Pretty annoying!

Alon Rozenblit

Nov 22, 2012
Visit site
I've just disabled screen locking for the duration. It's still deleting, seems to be taking ages.

EDIT: Took about 5 minutes, doesn't seem to have deleted anything. Temp files were taking up 937MB before deletion, same thing now.
Nokia Storage Check says temp files are taking up 292MB. I don't understand the inconsistency, but I'm guessing the one on MS side isn't even reading the data correctly. 1GB of temp files seems to be much too much...

Oleg Ilyin

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
Same here, disabled screen lock, waited for about 45 minutes, still deleting. Temporary files size 592 MB. Nokia storage check shows 289 MB. Clear deletes nothing.
UPD:
Reboot didn't help much. Nokia deleted 1MB, windows detele still hangs and deletes nothing.

Last edited:

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Don't forget that a healthy percentage of your previous "Other" category now lives in with "Apps".

It really would be nice to know what apps were the fattest ones on my phone.

Yup, deleted Six Guns and an indie game and immediately regained almost 1Gb.

Kieta

Jan 18, 2013
Visit site
Mines is showing 921MB of temp files. Sits on Deleting temporary files forever and still has 921MB when done.

EDIT: Nokia storage check shows 290MB but that's the amount it stays at. It never goes to 0.

Last edited:

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
Don't forget that a healthy percentage of your previous "Other" category now lives in with "Apps".

It really would be nice to know what apps were the fattest ones on my phone.

Yup, deleted Six Guns and an indie game and immediately regained almost 1Gb.

If your device is Nokia, storage check allows you to see how much room an app takes.

drbanks

Dec 17, 2012
Visit site
The Lumia Storage Check Beta will tell you which apps are the fattest, although that's little help if you don't have a Nokia.

jatwo

Dec 4, 2012
Visit site
I'm still on gdr2/amber (920) and the Lumia storage check recently stopped deleting my temp files too. Sitting at 2GB right now

DJCBS

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
1.41GB of Temporary files. Doesn't delete anything, Shrink Storage does nothing either.

I still have another storage app will try that...but doubt it will work. Oh well. Hopefully they have this sorted out for the final release.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss