Driving Mode (GDR3)

Bob Hoil

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
I am considering buying a bluetooth dongle for my car just so I can have it auto pair. Not sure yet if I could really use the functionality or not though.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
I agree to this. I use bluetooth headset in the car in order to receive calls, to have text messages read to me, reply to them if necessary and make calls using voice commands. So why would I activate the option to ignore calls politely by sending a text message that I'm driving since I've put the headset in order to receive calls not to reject them?
The good option would be indeed to be able to activate driving mode without a Bluetooth device connected. Let's hope it's just a bug that will get fixed in final release.

The way it works is perfect for my needs. I still allow the calls when I'm driving with this mode enabled, but I automatically send a text response to messages, but it still reads the text to me as it always has done, it just alerts the sender that I may not get back to them straight away because I'm driving... Whats not to like here? I get my messages and calls as normal (though you can choose not to receive either or both if you prefer).

It's a fairly simplistic app, but it does its job very well, and it has enough options for most people if they take the 5 seconds they need to understand what the options mean. That's not directed at anyone in particular, it just seems that some people either haven't used the app before commenting or haven't properly understood the options. I also realize that it doesn't suit everyone and everyone has their own needs, so I'm not saying as it suits me it must therefore suit everyone else.

TruPlaya187

Oct 19, 2011
Visit site
The way it works is perfect for my needs. I still allow the calls when I'm driving with this mode enabled, but I automatically send a text response to messages, but it still reads the text to me as it always has done, it just alerts the sender that I may not get back to them straight away because I'm driving... Whats not to like here? I get my messages and calls as normal (though you can choose not to receive either or both if you prefer).

It's a fairly simplistic app, but it does its job very well, and it has enough options for most people if they take the 5 seconds they need to understand what the options mean. That's not directed at anyone in particular, it just seems that some people either haven't used the app before commenting or haven't properly understood the options. I also realize that it doesn't suit everyone and everyone has their own needs, so I'm not saying as it suits me it must therefore suit everyone else.
So quick question, how do you still hear your text message coming in?

nsa74

Jul 27, 2013
Visit site

Nobody said it's not something to like. We understood the options and surely used driving mode before talking about it here.
The hole point of the discussion was to add the possibility to turn it on without having a Bluetooth headset connected. And that because it's a nice way to inform the caller, hey I'm driving, I don't have a headset on so that's the reason I can't answer the call right now.

Kyorin

Dec 20, 2012
Visit site
So quick question, how do you still hear your text message coming in?

My Sony bluetooth head unit reads them to me. It interupts whatever is playing at the time and reads it out over the speakers. After that I just say "Reply", "Call" or "I'm done", and it acts accordingly.

Just to make this a little clearer, you don't have to enable the "ignore texts" feature to use the auto reply.

Last edited:

blegs38552

Jul 23, 2010
Visit site
My 1990 Miata and 1997 Acura do not have an BT devices installed. Does this mean that I need to bring a BT device with me, such as a headphone (even if I don't Plan to use it) in order for this app to work? Seriously, this app should be designed to work without a BT device - just turn it on and all calls and messages will be ignored (I know that I can also go into Airplane mode and achieve the same result, but still do not understand the purpose behind this app).

Luke DeSmith

Jan 11, 2014
Visit site
When you are using the phone in car you will always be using bluetooth so isn't that a good trigger for the app?
If you are not using bluetooth it might be seen as likely that you are contravening a law. Maybe this, and the 'automation', are the reasons for the bluetooth requirement.
i use the phone to play music in the car and therefore can take calls over the speaker system, no need for a thing in my ear which i cant hear over the wind noise any way (convertible), so no i will not always be using a BT ear thing in the car, and apps don't need triggers, they need switches.

MaXi32

Nov 26, 2012
Visit site
Without the bluetooth requirement, I can use Driving Mode to auto reply to any text that my friends sent at night while I'm sleeping.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
taylormcintire