Notice to gdr3 users and installation help

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site
There have been a lot of people updating to the GDR3 preview since it was made available, but some, at least, are forgetting something:

This is a Preview.

What this means:
[INFO]
• It's possible not all features are permanent and may be changed by the final release

• It's possible not all features that will be made available in the final release may be available in the preview

• Not all features are guaranteed to work properly, and there could be some problems

[/INFO]

Also, there seems to be some confusion on other things as well.

[NOTE]
• Amber is the firmware version, and as such, is not affected by the OS and the GDR3 update

• The warranty of your devices is not immediately voided, nor did Microsoft state it did. They only stated that it may void your warranty. This means, most likely, that anything hardware related is still covered by warranty, but anything software related, as well as damage to hardware caused by faulty software, are no longer covered by your devices warranty, rendering it (the warranty) null and void

• Email attachments directly from the mail client are still unimplemented.

• This is a preview for developers. You should acknowledge this, and you will be installing GDR3 preview at your own risk.

• You will still get regular updates from your OEM, Microsoft, and your carrier. Updates are installed the same exact way, and registering for the preview only adds the developer preview updates to the available updates.

[/NOTE]

There also seems to be a forgotten (or at minimum, little spoken of) method of installation. So here are all three ways you can install the Preview (including the lesser known/spoken-of method):

[TIP]
• 1.A) Register as a developer using the Microsoft account linked to your device ($20)
• 1.B) OR, Join App Studio with the Microsoft Account linked to your device (Free, May need to install certificate)
• 1.C) OR, Developer unlock your device using the device registration app from VS2012WP (Free, No DEV account necessary)

• 2) Download Preview For Developers to your device.

• 3) After installation, run the app, agree to the terms, and join the Preview for Developers update program

• 4) Go into settings, check for updates, and install them.

• 5) After Installation, that's it!

[/TIP]

[NOTE]
If you get an error message stating: "The update was downloaded but could not be opened", Followed by an error code,
DO NOT RESET YOUR DEVICE!

Some people have suggested this, but there is no need for this. The error code happens when your device has enough memory to download the update, but not enough to unpack and install the update. (Imagine downloading an installer for a program on your computer that takes up your remaining memory, so you can't install the app. Same concept). Just delete some apps and try again. (in my experience I needed roughly a little over 1.04GB free). Some suggestions could be to remove content heavy apps that eat memory like Tumblr as well as large games like Halo: Spartan Assault.
[/NOTE]
Let me know if I forgot something.

Last edited:

marcomura

May 28, 2013
Visit site
Re: NOTE TO GDR3 USERS (Potential and Current)

Are you aware of something which actually doesn't work well?
Or features that are clearly partially implemented?

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Are you aware of something which actually doesn't work well?
Or features that are clearly partially implemented?

Personally, no. But a lot of people seem to be saying features that were spoken about in GDR3 are missing, and others have pointed out some apps and menus are unaffected by rotation lock. I also have a 521, so I get the least amount of features out of the windows phones.

I also have noticed people worrying, and even a few saying, GDR3 removes amber, thinking that amber is software related.

icstars989

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site

I'll confirm that Amber updates are unaffected. That's all firmware that isn't touched by this update.

ROKstrr22

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site

[TIP][/TIP]There have been a lot of people updating to the GDR3 preview since it was made available, but some, at least, are forgetting something:

This is a Preview.

What this means:
[INFO]
• Not all features are permanent and may be changed by the final release

• Not all features that will be made available in the final release may be available in the preview

• Not all features are guaranteed to work properly, and there could be some problems

[/INFO]

Also, there seems to be some confusion on other things as well.

[NOTE]
• Amber is the firmware version, and as such, is not affected by the OS and the GDR3 update

• The warranty of your devices is not immediately voided, nor did Microsoft state it did. They only stated that it may void your warranty. This means, most likely, that anything hardware related is still covered by warranty, but anything software related, as well as damage to hardware caused by faulty software, are no longer covered by your devices warranty, rendering it (the warranty) null and void

• Email attachments directly from the mail client are still unimplemented.

• This is a preview for developers. You should acknowledge this, and you will be installing GDR3 preview at your own risk.

• You will still get regular updates from your OEM, Microsoft, and your carrier. Updates are installed the same exact way, and registering for the preview only adds the developer preview updates to the available updates.

[/NOTE]

Let me know if I forgot something.
YES, you forgot to check your sources, this is the (courtesy) Developer's Preview of the RTM GDR3. Now for what I've interpreted this to mean ...

This is the FINAL RTM version of GDR3. Unless the significant body of Devs who d/l it can find any significant bugs. Further, this was an opportunity for Devs to repair their Apps - before GDR3 is finally rolled out to the general public. Sort of a Usability Test version, MS has limited testers ... who will NOT be able to test w every permutation of various Apps, thus we get to be the guinea pigs & hopefully report back to MS w enuff info to rectify any anomalies.
From my personal experience, no anomalies, no glitches (though my App collection is different from everyone else's) - it actually seems to make the OS smoother. Just wondering if 'X' to close will blow the stack. or if MS has handled this, appropriately. Memory leaks may appear in a week (or so), only time will tell.

Moiz Mian

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site

YES, you forgot to check your sources, this is the (courtesy) Developer's Preview of the RTM GDR3. Now for what I've interpreted this to mean ...

This is the FINAL RTM version of GDR3. Unless the significant body of Devs who d/l it can find any significant bugs. Further, this was an opportunity for Devs to repair their Apps - before GDR3 is finally rolled out to the general public. Sort of a Usability Test version, MS has limited testers ... who will NOT be able to test w every permutation of various Apps, thus we get to be the guinea pigs & hopefully report back to MS w enuff info to rectify any anomalies.
From my personal experience, no anomalies, no glitches (though my App collection is different from everyone else's) - it actually seems to make the OS smoother. Just wondering if 'X' to close will blow the stack. or if MS has handled this, appropriately. Memory leaks may appear in a week (or so), only time will tell.

I think you might be right, considering how few bugs this are, definitely feels like an RTM. That being said, it is a good opportunity for Microsoft to go back and fix the X button flickering and map icon for bing in multitasking menu, LOL

Dustin Hodges

Jan 22, 2013
Visit site

Will you please give me your sources? I've read 2 blog posts by ms, the preview page, and app description for the preview, and none seem to state this is RTM.

I changed the original post anyways though.

I assumed the preview was similar to a release preview for windows (more like 8.0, which was fairly close to final, with minor changes and bug fixes, unlike 8.1 which is more riddled with bugs and is farther from rtm 8.1.)

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Dev previews are rarely considered RTM releases. Windows 8 dev preview, release preview, 8.1 preview have set the precedent. In no way should this be considered RTM unless it is explicitly stated to be so. And going by previous WP RTM releases where we actually get at the very least insider confirmation I would not consider this RTM.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Yes, this is absolutely a Preview, and nothing with a Preview should be considered in any way to be "final". Ever.

antiochian2010

May 11, 2013
Visit site
There have been a lot of people updating to the GDR3 preview since it was made available, but some, at least, are forgetting something:

This is a Preview.

[NOTE]
? Amber is the firmware version, and as such, is not affected by the OS and the GDR3 update

Thanks Dustin - I was curious why Extras & Info was still reporting this as Lumia Amber when everything else seemed to be updated to Update 3.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site

Yes, this is absolutely a Preview, and nothing with a Preview should be considered in any way to be "final". Ever.
Yup, if a preview was the final and rtm version then the consumer preview of W8.1 would have been the final version but it was not. People who consider a preview of a product is the final version of said product, seriously need to step back and think it through before posting.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon