Will the Samsung Ativ S get all the Nokia features eventually?

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
Like Nokia Maps, Drive, City Lens, the Nokia exclusive apps etc? I am pretty underwhelmed by the Lumia 920. It has none of the features that I care about - big screen, thin profile (10.7 mm? - what is this 2005?), light weight (185 gms! - really?) and professional looking (the glossy colors look amateurish IMHO). Which leaves me with the Ativ S. As long as the Ativ S gets all the Windows Phone 8 enchancements (including all the Nokia ones), that will be my next phone.

Can somebody confirm that Nokia Maps, Drive, City Lens etc is coming to all Windows 8 devices?

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
exclusive apps will be less of a factor with WP8 (if it catches on) reason being is developers will be able to port WinRT apps over with ease so adoption should be higher. Combine this with the fact that the ATIV S will have a decent camera sensor and it makes it the better choice.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
Nokia will always have exclusive apps; it's a big selling point of the company. Just like HTC will always have HTC Hub as an exclusive (not that it's all that great, but that's beside the point) and Sony laptops will always be the only laptops with Picture Motion Browser (once again, not that great, but that's beside the point).

Whether that selling point is important to YOU is another. I'm not that psyched for Nokia's apps, many of which (like the augmented reality app) seem focused on Manhattan and other major metro areas instead of small-city Oregon, where I live.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
And Samsung didn't need to make a misleading commercial to sell the attributes of the ATIV.

pulling a non functional device out of your pocket for 30 seconds doesn't take much talent.

film that Nokia commercial on your bike doing about 20 down a dirt road one handed when you get your 920 and let us know how that works out for ya.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
bwahahahaha....HTC Hub as exclusive.....oh yes...what WOULD I do without HTC hub. LOLOLOLOLzzzzz

I never said it was good. Read my post again. What I said is, the chances of a Samsung phone getting Nokia apps are about the same as a Nokia getting HTC apps. OEMs will always have their own exclusive apps.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
Actually, I believe a lot of these Nokia services will be ported to WP 7 devices as well as part of the 7.8 upgrade, so yes I believe they will be available to the Samsung and HTC WP 8 selections. This is part of the Nokia/Microsoft alliance. Nokia gets access to WP in ways other manufacturers don't, and Nokia provides services to MS to help sell WP. I believe MS pays for these services as well, helping Nokia keep cash flow coming.

I haven't seen anything totally confirmed of course. Shouldn't be much longer until we know about all this gossip.

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Like Nokia Maps, Drive, City Lens, the Nokia exclusive apps etc? I am pretty underwhelmed by the Lumia 920. It has none of the features that I care about - big screen, thin profile (10.7 mm? - what is this 2005?), light weight (185 gms! - really?) and professional looking (the glossy colors look amateurish IMHO). Which leaves me with the Ativ S. As long as the Ativ S gets all the Windows Phone 8 enchancements (including all the Nokia ones), that will be my next phone.

Can somebody confirm that Nokia Maps, Drive, City Lens etc is coming to all Windows 8 devices?

Nokia Drive/ Nokia Maps are coming to all WP8 devices
Nokia Drive for all Windows Phone 8 smartphones ? Nokia Conversations : the official Nokia blog

From the looks of it the mapping software will be the same for all OEM so I am not sure how Nokia will be able to differentiate itself in this arena. I guess Nokia Commute and other transportation apps but if you got the turn-by-turn feature and etc the others may not be as critical.

Even with a WP7 map, I was able to use it view indoor layouts of one of our malls which was pretty cool.

City Lens
From the looks of it...nope. I have used City Lens and I think it cool to show off but then it just collects dust in the apps drawer.

Timed Exclusives
...just a matter of time. I would think. I don't see anything thats a must have but your experience may differ.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
If Windows Phone 8 market share move's from 3% to 30% over the next 3 years we could see all Nokia features if the money is flowing!

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site

The black and grey Lumia 920's look very professional to me (they aren't glossy and have a no nonsense design). Much more so than the faux "brushed aluminum" plastic anyway. Matter of taste I guess.

Concerning your other question:

No. Not all Nokia apps will be coming to WP8. In fact, none are guaranteed to at all. This is something people are misunderstanding all over the place. This is how it works:

Only one thing is guaranteed to come to all Windows applications (not just WP): Nokia's mapping data and services. Note that is not an app. It is just data. Bing maps already uses Nokia's world wide mapping data. The "Maps" app in WP8 is similar, as it is developed by Microsoft, but uses Nokia's mapping data and services (e.g. the ability to download maps for entire countries and use them offline). This is one of the things Microsoft is paying Nokia for each quarter.

ND (Nokia Drive) will NOT be coming to all devices, although Nokia does offer it to anyone that wants it, but they must license it from Nokia, just like HTC and Samsung license Google Maps from Google for each Android device they sell. For example, devices sold in Japan will sell without ND, because Navteq hasn't got enough mapping data on Japan to make that useful. It is EXPECTED that most WP8 device will include ND (nobody knows which devices and apparently Nokia is still in deliberations with HTC, Samsung, etc), but it is not GUARANTEED, in the same sense that it is not guaranteed that every Android device will ship with Google Maps.

Finally, Nokia devices will come with ND+, which will include more functionality and get more updates than ND.

None of the other Nokia exclusive apps will be coming to any other WP device (City Lens etc). Ever. Even if WP does achieve an 80% market share. If navigation is important to you, a Nokia device is your best bet. That statement will become more and more relevant going forward.

This is what Nokia had to say about it.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05