900 vs. 920: screen?

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Offended or anything? Calm down. Relax. I am entitled to my opinion yet you come here trying to "correct" me.

It's an LCD. It's safe to say I won't accept its black levels. I'm not even totally happy with the black levels on the Galaxy Nexus for example. Now go try lesson up someone else. I don't give a rats *** about PPI it's just a number on paper. Not important in real life to me at all.

*whispering* Psst, hey... you seem to be the one getting worked up, yet you're telling someone else to calm down and relax? Goosefraba! :)

Anyway, don't you think maybe taking a look is a good idea before you declaring something is "unacceptable" to your eyes? Not saying you're wrong, I'm not saying there aren't better options... just saying it's kinda ridiculous to declare a phone display "unacceptable" without actually seeing it.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
I have never ever witnessed any kind of LCD screen regardless of IPS/PVA/TN that has a black level that I am happy with except TV's with local dimming. That's why I am saying I won't accept its black levels only.

Just trust me instead of arguing it with me. I won't accept its black levels. Everyting else will be super about the screen I'm positive.

Like I said I have a Galaxy Nexus too with an amoled screen. While the black level is excellent it's not as good as on the Lumia's. So I'm not even all that happy with the black level of the Nexus.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I think I'm just gonna walk away now... I don't see anybody arguing or getting worked up but you. We're just discussing facts and opinions. All I said was don't make an assumption without proper validation.

Final thought... if you're so sure... why are you here debating the point? There are going to be other phone options that are more to your liking.

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Was just curious to see if someone else was let down by the screen choice on the 920. Seeing as this thread exists I am not the only one. Others might just not be quite as let down as I give the impression of. It's just that I am very picky when it comes to black levels and I prefer amoled screens.

I love Nokia and their excellent build quality and hence they are the first choice for a WP for me by far. I assumed these new models all would get enhanced versions of the Lumia amoled screens. Lumia 900 screen with higher resolution. Instead they went the LCD way on one of them. That's why my disappointment shines through so much.

Walking away here too. Cheers.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Color me disappointed.

Yes IPS technology is the best on the LCD side but still it's LCD. Even though it has clearblack technology the black will be crappy LCD blackness specially in angles. The clearblack won't do miracles here as it does on amoled that has very dark blacks to begin with even without any kind of filter.

This is a dealbraker for me. I can not go back to LCD tech when having used amoled for so long now. It doesn't matter how good of a phone it is I will never ever buy a phone again with ordinary LCD.

WP is a dark OS by nature and needs amoled to truly shine as intended.

Maybe try it out before judging it...

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Was just curious to see if someone else was let down by the screen choice on the 920. Seeing as this thread exists I am not the only one. Others might just not be quite as let down as I give the impression of. It's just that I am very picky when it comes to black levels and I prefer amoled screens.

I love Nokia and their excellent build quality and hence they are the first choice for a WP for me by far. I assumed these new models all would get enhanced versions of the Lumia amoled screens. Lumia 900 screen with higher resolution. Instead they went the LCD way on one of them. That's why my disappointment shines through so much.

The 820 is AMOLED. Merry Christmas.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site

Understood. Thanks for clarifying. :)

For what it's worth, I have to believe that their decision was based on a technological advancement or they wouldn't have taken the time to switch back AND patent it as a new marketing buzzword (PureMotion).

AngryNil

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
This is very sad news to me. I've never truly owned a WP that wasn't AMOLED (Focus, Focus S, and now L900), and when I had the HTC Titan II for a while, that was one of the biggest reasons why I disliked it compared to the L900, no AMOLED. Those deep blacks are just too nice. Why in the world would they change that?
  • Blacks are reported to be fantastic, though they probably won't be 1:1 with AMOLED.
  • There are currently no HD AMOLED screens that are not PenTile. The screen will be better than the GS3 and Galaxy Nexus, you'll have 50% more subpixels even if the screens were the same resolution.
  • AMOLEDs destroy batteries. They consume something like three times as much battery when displaying white, and quite frankly that offsets any possible gain you could get from the zero power draw on blacks.

The blacks on my AMOLED Omnia 7 don't look any different from what is shown here:
lumia920headerimgwmed2.jpg

Last edited:

Thuoudo

Mar 3, 2012
Visit site
Just to add two notes to the previous post:

1. I've observed that simply using the white theme on my 900 uses twice the power of the black theme. Think of all the white pages we view on our phones, then notice the next time you open a blank tab in IE the screen dimming automatically.

2. The black levels on OLEDs is fantastic, but their white levels are lacking. My Samsung Focus S had a noticeable blue/green tint on any white color (text, background, apps). People commented at first that the 900 had a red tint, though "white" has more of a red tint than blue to our eyes. Side by side, the Samsung was blue.

So then what if it turns out to be a 90%+ gamut screen like the good IPS displays? Pure black and pure white to the naked eye...in addition to almost-180 degree viewing angles.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Don't forget that AMOLED burn in as well guys...

It's not burn in, its that the pixels have a shorter half-life. That is to say that the pixel's brightness will half much sooner than an LCD pixel. I have this problem on my focus. I read a lot of mobile news pages in the browser and, before mango, the nav bar could only be seen in portrait. I have what appear to be ghosted images of the buttons present in Nodo. When I press the ... and expand a menu I can clearly see where they used to be because the pixels there are dimmer than the rest. LCD pixel lifetime is MUCH longer than OLED pixels.

doomtuba

Sep 13, 2012
Visit site
I'm imagining this being similar to the HTC's One X screen, except with ClearBlack tech and the "no blue" crap or whatever it's called. I'm exciting to see it. The One X has a GORGEOUS screen. I'm sure this will be just as gorgeous, if not moreso.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Am i missing something here? From the coverage ive been seeing the lumia 920 is amoled. just under a different name.
Yes you are.

The different name you probably are talking about is the PureMotion HD+, which refers to the resolution (1280x768, hence the plus) and the refresh rate (60Hz instead of normal 30Hz) of the screen. The display tech used is IPS LCD, which is clearly stated in 920's product page.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte