Do you think Nokia can get its magic back in the smartphone world with the Lumia 920?

maplewebb

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
News from zdnet says that Lumias puts challenge to rivals with Nokia's focus on features and services with Windows Phone 8, like Nokia Maps, Nokia Transport and Nokia Drive all upgraded with new features for the two devices.

The Lumia 920 also took better pictures and video with PureView camera technology, especially in low light, than any other phone camera. It can also be charged without being plugged in; the user just places it on a wireless charging pod.

So then the big question on everybody's lips is: just how does it shape up against its two current biggest rivals, Samsung with Samsung Galaxy S3, Samsung Galaxy Note 2 and Apple with the new iPhone 5 coming? The Lumia 920 will feature the same dual-core Qualcomm Snapdragon S4 processor as found in high-end phones in the U.S. like the Samsung Galaxy S3 and the HTC One X.

Nokia can get its magic back in the smartphone world or say goodbye to us? Give your opinion

Source: http://samsung-center.blogspot.com/2...msung-and.html

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I can only speak for myself, but i cant wait for the 920 to hit the streets..
I will be ordering one (subject to reviews) the moment they come out if the reviews are half decent, and I will be switching from a galaxy S3, so I obviously think it will be better.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Why don't you want to stick with your galaxy s3? I've been on the fence about staying on the WP8 side since MS is being so stingy about giving us users what we want, and that's info and what exactly it will bring to the table. Other companies aren't worried about what MS I bringing, so the excuse that they are holding out to protect other companies from copying doesn't cut it for me. They aren't being transparent about it enough. Not that I would dare get one, but the iPhone announcement is coming soon. Without know more about WP8, it might be hard to convince potential new customers to wait for WP8. And to top it off, 7.8 will release later than the release of WP8. Seems a bit backwards. The fact that they are querying NOW when they should have been querying the last few months about what users want is lame. Leads me the question where their head is at and if it's in the right place. But, I'm going to stick it out and see what they ate cooking before I make a brash decision.

Sent from my PI86100 using Board Express

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Why don't you want to stick with your galaxy s3? I've been on the fence about staying on the WP8 side since MS is being so stingy about giving us users what we want, and that's info and what exactly it will bring to the table. Other companies aren't worried about what MS I bringing, so the excuse that they are holding out to protect other companies from copying doesn't cut it for me. They aren't being transparent about it enough. Not that I would dare get one, but the iPhone announcement is coming soon. Without know more about WP8, it might be hard to convince potential new customers to wait for WP8. And to top it off, 7.8 will release later than the release of WP8. Seems a bit backwards. The fact that they are querying NOW when they should have been querying the last few months about what users want is lame. Leads me the question where their head is at and if it's in the right place. But, I'm going to stick it out and see what they ate cooking before I make a brash decision.

7.8 was always an afterthought. They made the decision to focus on 8 because it's the future of the platform, and 7.8 is merely a bone they're throwing to those WP7 adopters that can't upgrade yet.

Even the querying for feature requests is an afterthought, because they've had so much feedback, and they're trying to please as many as they can.

Don't get any delusions about 7.8 being more than a pacifier though.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
The SG3 and the 920 are both good phones or appear to be in the 920's case.

The key for me is integration and a common enviroment, I freely admit that I didn't get it until I installed all the latest and greatest from MSDN on my test rig and then I had that whole Eureka moment with where MS were going with the cloud strategy, or at least how I could use it for what I need from online services.
Im sure MS will fudge somethings in yet to be seen ways, but Im convinced that for me, things are going to get alot easier once I switch to Win8 on my desktop and WP8 as my mobile device

That is all I want really
I hurry to add that only the newer software has made this possible for me at least
WP8 with all its improvements
Better skydrive client for mobile and PC
Win 8
Office 2013
Lync client

When using win8, I could see how having a WP8 would benefit me - google just doesn't have the integration, google drive, docs are separate apps, goggles and maps are separate apps, windows and google cloud services do work together, but not in a seamless way and there are far too many compromises.

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
That's the thing that kills me is that Microsoft gets "It" ya know. But there are those other functions that you would think are basic that the are missing. Boy I hope they add those few things to WP8. And fix the damn music player/zune for crying out loud!

cp2_4eva

Mar 19, 2012
Visit site
Yeah, I hope in genera WP8 advertising pushes informative ads like Samsung does. Their commercials are semi funny and informative at the same time.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
had they announced then released before iPhone 5, yes. However, Im not sure what the business strategy is for releasing after iPhone is, so its really hard to say. On the surface it seems rather risky, then again, so was xbox when it came to market. I do know that in business and personal life, slow and steady always wins the race.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
High-end phones are mainly for show. For their long term strategy, they don't expect to make most of their money from their flagship phone.

The emerging markets is where it's at. Low-end devices that can sell to huge masses.

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
It may have been sloppy, but perhaps Nokia's gamble is paying off. The iPhone 5 isn't unbeatable after all. There's lots of positive buzz today about the 920 when compared to the latest iPhone.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

larrynj

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
I'm betting they will get some of their magic back. They have the products to do it. They simply need to market and sell the things.

hc_1540

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I've lost count of the number of times the 920 has been mentioned (favourably) in comments about the iPhone5. The interest is there, Nokia just need to pounce and capitalise on this interest. If they leave it too late (i.e. after the iPhone 5 is available) they won't get another chance until this time next year.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Can Nokia get the magic back - most definitely, but not with the 920, but maybe with the 820 or the 710 replacement.
I have spoken to so many people over the last week and so far Im the only one who wants a 920, but some are interested in the 820 or a cheap mid-range 710 replacement.
Even with 32Gb on board, it seems that some people have an issue with the lack of SD card support on the 920, and I also had a few comments over the 32Gb limit for the SD card on the 820 where people thought it would get a firmware update to support 64Gb cards.
Nokia will get some of its magic back, more when more models have been released and WP8 will get a whole load of magic coming its way once windows 8 is out - in my opinion of course!

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
7.8 was always an afterthought. They made the decision to focus on 8 because it's the future of the platform, and 7.8 is merely a bone they're throwing to those WP7 adopters that can't upgrade yet.

Even the querying for feature requests is an afterthought, because they've had so much feedback, and they're trying to please as many as they can.

Don't get any delusions about 7.8 being more than a pacifier though.

More like a middle finger XD. I can't even imagine my phone ever getting that update, carries will probably block it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon