This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Dumb thread is dumb. Announce your product early so consumers know what to expect. Trying to hide all the info until it is ready to launch is an inferior tactic. Just because Apple does it that way, that doesn't make it right.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Why is that how it's done?

Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.

No, that is why you wait until the product is ready. The OS is ready, the hardware is ready, and are now being mass manufactured as the announcement is taking place. It is even worse when you have to fake promotional material because the product is not ready. It is even worse when you don't announce pricing or availability because a lot of people will just buy a competitors product that already has been released or will be release shortly. Nokia has got a solid product, I'm going to buy it because that's what I want. But it doesn't help win new customers to the platform when you get bad press for faking a product that's not ready, and don't release any information on who will carry it and at what price. More than likely they will just buy what's already out there and not wait. Talking about the average non-fanboyish customer who is not loyal to any echo system, which far outnumber us geeks.

SoloXCRacer

Apr 5, 2012
Visit site
Dumb thread is dumb. Announce your product early so consumers know what to expect. Trying to hide all the info until it is ready to launch is an inferior tactic. Just because Apple does it that way, that doesn't make it right.

Yeah inferior. That's why they sell twice as many products in a weekend than Lumias ever.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
I think there is some confusion, but I don't really think that the Nokia or the Samsung things were "launch parties" they were product announcements. I think there will be a launch party in the next month or so that will have specifics. This will be a straight up Microsoft event though, I think.

ljkelley

Dec 23, 2011
Visit site
I disagree this once. Nokia did the right thing. It was better to announce before the iPhone 5 without a product. Why?

Because everyone is comparing the iPhone to the Lumia 920 and for all intents and purposes the Lumia 920 comes out ahead.

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
The iPhone5 announcement was a disaster.

This is NOT how you do it Nokia.

no the announcement wasn't a disaster, what they announced was a disaster. Apple made Nokia's press conference look like amateur hour...**** it WAS amateur hour. Between JoJo the Clown and Capt BlunderShields Nokia should have said at the end, you know what, we were just practicing, we'll be back ina few weeks with a real presentation.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
I disagree this once. Nokia did the right thing. It was better to announce before the iPhone 5 without a product. Why?

Because everyone is comparing the iPhone to the Lumia 920 and for all intents and purposes the Lumia 920 comes out ahead.

Precisely. Check every Apple review right now, and they're all doing it. And now suddenly, those futile complaints about the fake ads seems petty, because the true photos are going to really impress.

This is precisely when Nokia needs to pounce!

doublebullout

Jan 18, 2011
Visit site
If Nokia can learn anything from how Apple conducts its product launches, it would be in the presentation. Apple's executives handle themselves on stage better than Nokia's. As for the date/carrier/price information, I still believe it was a mistake for Microsoft and Nokia to not get such crucial details nailed down before the Lumia announcement.

Nevertheless, I wasn't that impressed with the iPhone 5. I didn't see anything compelling enough for me to upgrade from my iPhone 4, which I've had for over 2 years now. Perhaps the timing of Nokia's short-on-details announcement was a little risky, but it looks like it is paying off. A lot of the conversations I see online are about how much better the Lumia 920 is than the iPhone 5. You've really got to give Nokia some credit for having the courage to jump ahead of the iPhone 5 reveal.

Sent from my The New iPad using Tapatalk

Yakkob

Dec 6, 2011
Visit site
The problem I have with the OP is that the thread title is negative, and is very pro Apple.
I honestly don't believe your next phone is a lumia 920 (Love you to prove me wrong with a photo when you get it).
Why else would you go to the trouble of posting the screenshots you did which is basically telling people when and how much it will be..

These are the kinds of threads I am getting at in my earlier thread.

Hardly a way to promote an ecosystem that you say you are buying into by promoting the competition with huge screenshots..

So yeah...

By all means prove me wrong..

saintforlife

Apr 6, 2012
Visit site
The problem I have with the OP is that the thread title is negative, and is very pro Apple.
I honestly don't believe your next phone is a lumia 920 (Love you to prove me wrong with a photo when you get it).
Why else would you go to the trouble of posting the screenshots you did which is basically telling people when and how much it will be..

These are the kinds of threads I am getting at in my earlier thread.

Hardly a way to promote an ecosystem that you say you are buying into by promoting the competition with huge screenshots..

So yeah...

By all means prove me wrong..

I'd love nothing more than prove you wrong although I don't have to do anything just because you told me to. I hope you are still around towards the end of the year. I even know the color I am getting - Slate grey.

I am not promoting Apple or it's ecosystem. The screen shots were for emphasis on the dates, prices and countries where it will be available. If I really had a agenda I would put a picture of a slide showing one of the iPhone's features like its camera or processor or something.

Looks like people here just looked at the title of the thread and decided to draw a conclusion on what it it that I was referring to without bothering to read the OP.

TheDvlsAdvc8

Feb 4, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the OP. If you're going to have a "launch" event, then you need to say when its available and how much it will cost. Nokia's event was more like an unveiling that ends with "coming soon... "

Smg-Uk

Jun 14, 2011
Visit site
Right so if WP8 is not ready to go and Nokia waited too show off how awesome their Lumia 920 is More people would probably get the iPhone without seeing a alternative however because they have shown Apple up pretty much all over the internet is buzzing with people saying how they are going wait to get the Lumia 920 rather than the IP5.

If you ask me it was a clever thing to do, the fact that they didn't give dates and prices is annoying yes but this was much better marketing than the mess they made of the "fake" video and photos etc.

baseballbert

Aug 14, 2011
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.

This is a good group, I think people are just a little more excited about WP after todays announcement. You are right, announcement, order dat, delivery date would've been great.

However, there is a small possibility that Nokia and MS may came off looking like the sly fox after all. All of the articles I've read mention the 920 as the WP player. Not Samsung, HTC or whoever else comes to the table.

Nokia has gotten a ton of free press, and I'd safely argue that at least 60% of the comments attached to each article were "iPhone 5 meh, 920 for me." so, last week may not be the disaster we all thought it was.

1jaxstate1

Dec 6, 2010
Visit site
Nokia had the better products, but the people presenting them were horribly dull.

Apple released a taller iPhone which was meh, but put on a better show.

IMO

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
It's not my fault that your thread title wasn't specific.

You are not much of a winner when it comes to reading comprehension are you?

This was the title of my thread: "This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn".

The only things I highlighted/bolded in my OP were the dates, so you had to know that was the focus of the thread. There wasn't a single word about the iPhone 5's features or how it lined up against the 920.

The fact that you jumped all over this thread without even bothering to understand what the point of the OP was speaks more to your insecurity about Nokia and WP than my supposedly misleading thread title.

Like I said, my next phone is a Lumia 920. My only problem with Nokia's launch was lack of concrete dates and availability. They have a lot to learn from Apple in this regard. But I am sure Nokia and MS will get there eventually.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
In fairness to Nokia, the way Apple does it isn't the norm. Didn't Samsung announce the Note 2 and the Ativ S recently? I don't recall pricing and availability of these products being announced. The way Apple handles these things is quite nice, but it certainly isn't the way most manufacturers handle it.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
In fairness to Nokia, they can't release a phone without an OS, so we're actually waiting on Microsoft. And Amazon has a number of Kindle releases before November, my Kindle Fire HD 7 will be arriving in the next 5 days.

Then it's Nokia's fault for announcing a device when the OS isn't ready.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
Then it's Nokia's fault for announcing a device when the OS isn't ready.

I don't feel there's a fault at all. Scottscraft is right that most companies do a coming soon approach.

Besides, this has worked out well. If Nokia announces deals and preorder options in the next week, they'll see a lot of interest. They could still leave out dates and generate interest.

Now, Microsoft can begin announcing features to steal some thunder and redirect attention to Nokia again.

People spend too much time thinking in the moment and ignoring long term strategies...

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
Apple's presentation may appear better because they are a marketing machine. They could sell iSnow to an Eskimo (no offense to any Eskimos out there). Nokia tells you what is. Heck, I was sure excited during the presentation.

Oh, and I think AT&T and Verizon (and maybe T-Mobile) are the folks who want to announce price and availability of Nokia, HTC and Samsung devices. That should happen after HTCs announcement. My guess is Verizon especially, wants to make this a special moment. Not a Verizon fan, but I look forward to the announcement. Will be a big day for WP. Do you remember rolling thunder. You have already seen the rumbling. Get ready for a big clap.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

oblivman

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Yeah inferior. That's why they sell twice as many products in a weekend than Lumias ever.

And? Apple could say coming in 2 months and they would still sell the same number of phones.

Please use logic to explain why Apple's system is better for the consumer. Pro-tip: you can't.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786