This is how you do it Nokia - watch and learn

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
The bottom line is Apple is the KING of devices and until someone knocks them off that perch they can talk all the smack they want.

the_thunderbird

Dec 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree with the commentary that the Nokia launch was probably not the best executed thing ever - but let's be real, I think we all probably agree that the 920/820 combo was kicked out the door to avoid potential issues from the iPhone launch. Perhaps if Nokia had known the (major) iPhone 5 leaks were all true, they would have changed their strategy a bit. But hindsight is 20/20.

Regardless, the iPhone 5 launch day seems to have been a great victory for Nokia. If they release the 920 in a reasonable amount of time, at a competitive price point the 920 will surely have piqued the interest of many.

I am a fairly avid reader of technology blogs, and today is the most mention of a WP product I have seen other than immediately following an announcement or release of a WP device. In comparing the iPhone to other devices the Lumia 920 is on a lot of the comparisons, and more importantly, some fairly notable tech bloggers seem to be looking at the Lumia in line with the Galaxy SIII. Fantastic.

Here is to hoping Microsoft, Nokia, and in fact other WP makes carry this positive momentum further and get into that third place OS spot!

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
All the posts above goes to show fan boys are d*cks any where you go on the internet. I was stupid to think this forum would be different. If you read my OP again, you will see that it was about the iPhone 5 launch dates, prices and countries and nothing more. I didn't say anything about the iPhone 5's features or lack thereof or how it competes with the Lumia 920.

Why are you guys so insecure? My next phone will be a Lumia 920. Too bad I will be part of another iSheep or Fandroid community with just a different name. I honestly thought the WP faternity was going to be different and above petty attacks. I was mistaken.

So you make a rather unintelligent, poorly researched thread in the wrong forum and suddenly everyone else are a-holes?

There are so many things you didn't take into consideration that it would be easy to pick apart. But hey, I understand, you have your blinders on and the only person you're listening to is yourself. So do whatever...

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
Finance analysts... we just can't escape them...

I think this whole: "the presentation was trash because Nokia didn't release price and availability information" is ridiculous. The whole sentiment got seeded by finance analysts who were making up (ehem... I mean looking for) a rational explanation as to why Nokia's stock fell 16% on the day of the product launch. These analysts clearly stated why they thought the announcement was a complete and utter disaster. Obviously, it was due to the fact that by the end of Nokia's announcement a billion dollars in stock value had evaporated. For them, that is the only thing that counts. I'm sure their explanation is complete nonsense, but it isn't the worst attempt at an explanation I've heard, because even as someone who believes in Nokia, Microsoft and WP, you need to know which U.S. carriers will be selling them, by when, and at what price point in order to gauge earning potential. As an investor, you must know these things.

Anyway, various news sites picked up on this and spread it through the internet, which is how it eventually ended up on our beloved tech websites. Of course these "journalists" (and most of their readers) couldn't care less about stock prices, but hey, if everyone was agreeing that the announcement was a disaster due to the lack of release and pricing information, then there must be something to it, right? Yes people, that is how we get news these days... :(

Long story short: if you're not an investor, price and availability announcements aren't the main issues. What we should be judging are the products.

Just to be clear, I also think the presentation was trash, but for the stylistic reasons others here already mentioned.

Fins... I like you guys, really, but you shouldn't be allowed to make presentations! Americans are so much better than Europeans at that sort of thing. Next time, get our friends on the other side of the pond to do it (I'm European, so I'm allowed to say that).

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Boo. Release dates and price points don't do crap for people like me that are locked into contract. If someone opted to hold off on upgrading for this particular device, guess what? It wouldn't matter: their mind is set on that device. As long as they saw it in action and see that it is coming, they are happy. If I was waiting to upgrade to the lumia and had my mind set on that device, this announcement would not deter me because it has a release date

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
No, that is why you wait until the product is ready. The OS is ready, the hardware is ready, and are now being mass manufactured as the announcement is taking place. It is even worse when you have to fake promotional material because the product is not ready. It is even worse when you don't announce pricing or availability because a lot of people will just buy a competitors product that already has been released or will be release shortly. Nokia has got a solid product, I'm going to buy it because that's what I want. But it doesn't help win new customers to the platform when you get bad press for faking a product that's not ready, and don't release any information on who will carry it and at what price. More than likely they will just buy what's already out there and not wait. Talking about the average non-fanboyish customer who is not loyal to any echo system, which far outnumber us geeks.

They didn't fake anything because the software wasn't ready
And how do you know that them announcing wp8 early doesn't put doubts in the minds of those in the market for the new iPhone

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
The iPhone4S could have been relaunched with no changes at all and it would still be a million seller.

Apple already has an established mindshare. A very strong one.

It would be foolish for companies without that mindshare to think that whatever works for Apple would automatically translate to working for themselves.

The Lumia 920 was announced first but by the time the Lumia 920 comes out, the Iphone will be a million seller.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
The full SDK isn't even out and Microsoft doesn't let Samsung or Nokia to even show the whole OS. Neither will HTC or Huawei be able to announce release dates because Microsoft can't give one yet.
I mean Microsoft hasn't even fully announced WP8, like they said on the Nokia event.

When MS gets the bug testing finished we will hear more.

That's the reality we live in. We should be discussing what in this position Nokia and Samsung should have done and in my opinion announcing the devices before iPhone 5 was the right thing to do.

Lumia 920, GS3 and HTC One X have been the most compared to iPhone 5 in the spec lists and gathered some attention there.

The iPhone4S could have been relaunched with no changes at all and it would still be a million seller

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdIWKytq_q4&feature=player_embedded
;)

I will say that Apple is starting to remind me so much of Nokia back in 2006-2007. Going with the wave and still making record profits for 2-3 years with sub par products before in matter of year or two people started to see behind the brand.

Last edited:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I complete agree in terms of announcement and boom release date, pricing, carriers ete... 100% agree. huge flaw nokia has going on right now is that we know the device but no clue when, how much or if they are going to be moronic and have exclusive providers.

the iphone 5 itself is a meh and an LOL all rolled together though

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site
I agree a little, but mostly disagree the thread starter.

Reason why I disagree - Immediate release date is not important to the average, non-tech-site reading customer

Who are the people that want to buy a certain new phone asap? It's the ones who had no intention of buying anything else anyway.

The majority of people are, though, not fanboys. They might have their preferences, but they won't preorder and they won't even dream of queuing up for anything. They will lhave the preferences, they walk into the provider shop once their contract is up or their old phone has crashed, and they will choose from what is there, not giving a sh*t when those existing devices were launched. The onces without much interest in technology might choose what their friends have, some other ones will listen to the salesperson and some others will choose according to their evaluation. I mean come on, if I buy a phone now, does it really, really matter if it is brand-spanking new or three months old?

Reason why I agree a little:
The presentation itself could have been done better by people who are better at presenting. A good speaker might not fool me (I tend to listen to content and to what's not said and not the way it is being presented because at the end of the day, a good presentation doesn't make the product better), but I believe are different in that matter.

All IMHO, of course ;)

Last edited:

N8ter

Banned
Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
Boo. Release dates and price points don't do crap for people like me that are locked into contract. If someone opted to hold off on upgrading for this particular device, guess what? It wouldn't matter: their mind is set on that device. As long as they saw it in action and see that it is coming, they are happy. If I was waiting to upgrade to the lumia and had my mind set on that device, this announcement would not deter me because it has a release date

That's not true. Any time someone hold off there is always the chance that you can get the jump on competition and steal that sale, if your device/platform/ecosystem grabs their attention. It can happen.

One of the reasons why the iPhone 5 announcement was a yawn fest is because it was probably the worst kept secret in the tech industry ever. Pretty much everything about it was leaked and it was even KIRF'd in China before its announcement so everyone knew pretty much exactly how it looked. Apple had already had an iOS 6 announcement before, so the device did seem a bit "oh, that's all" yesterday.

The Samsung GS3 device was kept a bit more under wraps leading up to release, by comparison (they manufacture most of their own components, so that is easier for them).

However, Apple is very good at announcing their products and getting them on the shelves fast. That does matter. It means people who get excited about it will be able to get it with very little time for competitors to pull them away.

That's a mistake RIM made with the Blackberry Playbook (announced early and didn't release for MONTHS). People do lose interest nad "settle" often. It's not as simple as "mind set, sorry." Maybe to you (a WP enthusiast), but not to the average consumer.

Luminatic

May 5, 2012
Visit site

While this is true, I believe this would also have happened if the iPHone preoderes and sales start had happened at a later date, so I don't see a connection there. Apple still has a strong, loyal following and quite a few people want it asap no matter if they have hold and tried it yet, hence the sell out.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I think this whole: "the presentation was trash because Nokia didn't release price and availability information" is ridiculous. The whole sentiment got seeded by finance analysts who were making up (ehem... I mean looking for) a rational explanation as to why Nokia's stock fell 16% on the day of the product launch. These analysts clearly stated why they thought the announcement was a complete and utter disaster. Obviously, it was due to the fact that by the end of Nokia's announcement a billion dollars in stock value had evaporated. For them, that is the only thing that counts. I'm sure their explanation is complete nonsense, but it isn't the worst attempt at an explanation I've heard, because even as someone who believes in Nokia, Microsoft and WP, you need to know which U.S. carriers will be selling them, by when, and at what price point in order to gauge earning potential. As an investor, you must know these things.

Anyway, various news sites picked up on this and spread it through the internet, which is how it eventually ended up on our beloved tech websites. Of course these "journalists" (and most of their readers) couldn't care less about stock prices, but hey, if everyone was agreeing that the announcement was a disaster due to the lack of release and pricing information, then there must be something to it, right? Yes people, that is how we get news these days... :(

Long story short: if you're not an investor, price and availability announcements aren't the main issues. What we should be judging are the products.

Just to be clear, I also think the presentation was trash, but for the stylistic reasons others here already mentioned.

Fins... I like you guys, really, but you shouldn't be allowed to make presentations! Americans are so much better than Europeans at that sort of thing. Next time, get our friends on the other side of the pond to do it (I'm European, so I'm allowed to say that).

lol, maybe they could hire a motivational speaker to do their presentations. That way, you would be getting the dirt on the new phone, and feeling good about yourself at the same time. Actually, the more I think about it, the more I like the sound of that.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
I could just imagine Anthony Robbins pitching Nokia, and a Personal Power app. LoL

Or Kobe Bryant including the Lumia into the "Kobe System." "You're welcome."

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
This event isn't what sold them all those phones. It was their brand and reputation.

The event could have said that there would be no changes other than a bigger screen, and you'd still see it sell out.

So no, this is not how you do it. Only a company with Apple's already existing clout and fan base could get away with it.

cinek

Sep 11, 2012
Visit site
honestly, I think nokia has done the right thing. If they released the phone, hardly anyone would buy it as everyone would be waiting for apple to come up with the next "big" thing, which didn't happen so this works in nokias favor

experiment 626

Jul 20, 2011
Visit site
I complete agree in terms of announcement and boom release date, pricing, carriers ete... 100% agree. huge flaw nokia has going on right now is that we know the device but no clue when, how much or if they are going to be moronic and have exclusive providers.
I believe this is what the OP was getting at.Hardware-wise the 920 looked great,at least equal to the iPhone 5 and flagship Android devices. On a side note: I think the iPhone 5 upgraded well. Had Apple not released the 4S last year and gave the 5 all of it's features plus this years' upgrades on the bigger screen critics would be glowing over this phone.

btgusto

Jul 16, 2011
Visit site
Why is that how it's done?

Especially when the final build of WP8 may not have passed all QA tests yet.

Imagine Nokia announcing a release date, then having to delay it because there was a bug found in WP8 QA that had to be fixed before release. THAT would be worse.
then don't announce a phone and have a big even without final software. I agree with the overall premise of the post. We ALL would appreciate a price and release date closer to the announce date of the 920/820.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion