Dell Technologies Cyber Savings Event - Up to 45% off

09-22-2013 07:53 PM
75 123
tools
    I already have an iPhone 5 and while I am in love with aesthetically and love the app ecosystem. I'll probably still buy a 920! I just hope that WP8 has some kind of new notification system more like Android & iOS.
    10-03-2012 06:18 PM
    Its its your first iPhone I say go for it. But if you've had previous iPhone, then you should definitely go Lumia. I've had so many iPhones that I left after the 4 and I have no plans on going back unless they release something really magical. The iPhone 5 wasn't it, for me. But I've been with window phone 7 since day one, and its just as fresh as it was the day it released.
    10-03-2012 07:15 PM
    For instance I prefer being able to operate my phone with one hand which is why, I'd take a high-end 4 inch or less Lumia any day. Seriously, the iPhone's dimensions are perfect...in my opinion.
    I recently picked up an iPhone 5. I had been using a Galaxy Nexus (4.65" screen). When comparing them, I was very surprised to find the Nexus was more comfortable to use one handed and seemed more stable in my hand. The straight edges, lack of curved back, and narrow, somewhat bookmark-like dimensions of the iPhone seemed the culprit.

Granted, the small size of the iPhone did make it much less noticeable in my pocket and somewhat more portable.

I ended up returning the iPhone and am considering the 920 as my 2nd phone (still keeping an android phone regardless). The iPhone really felt like going backwards in tech and capabilities. If I only talked and texted on my phone I may have kept it. But, I am on the web quite a lot, watch video, view documents, manage stock trades, and more with my phone. These things were definitely a poorer experience on the new 4" iPhone.

No, I'm not an apply hater. I own an iPad 3 and Macbook Air. Yes, I realize this is my opinion. That is self-evident.
    10-03-2012 10:05 PM
    I'm using my iPhone for over 2 years now, and before that I was even a apple fanboy. I have got a Macbook Air at home as my laptop, and a Mac Mini as home theatre server for movies with plex and other stuff. It's really hard to break the cycle...

BUT the reasons I bought the following three:
    1) It was until that day impossible to buy an iPhone if you were no telekom client.
    2) the new iPhone 4 looked incredible compared to the iPhone 3GS
    3) I was so happy with the apple products I had

2) was the main reason to be honest.
    But now, with the Update to the iPhone 5 I am so disappointed. The iPhone looks just like the iPhone 4, but a little bit longer and thinner. That's s so ****ing Boring. In addition to that, everyone in Germany is having an iPhone 5. boring too....

Now THIS phone, actually it's a little bit TOO big for me, but I'll at least give it a try if it's out and have a look at it in some store...

The OS looks awesome, sadly no matt cyan :(
    10-04-2012 04:37 AM
    Id love 920 specs in the 800 body, perfect phone. Buy that's my preference! I'm sure it won't take long to get used 4.5".
    If they built that, I would literally buy it tomorrow.

But the giant XL brick phone? Not so much. I can stick with my 900 and wait for something better.

If I HAD to get a new phone tomorrow, it would be the 820, but I would not be excited about 800x480 resolution and no Gorilla Glass. :dry
    10-04-2012 02:49 PM
    If I HAD to get a new phone tomorrow, it would be the 820, but I would not be excited about 800x480 resolution and no Gorilla Glass. :dry
    That's why I would not choose the 820... I want the camera, I want the better resolution, I want gorilla glas for sure.

So 920 is the only choice right now, and I'll give it a try at least. If it's too big in the end, I'll sell it...
    10-04-2012 03:47 PM
    I just sold my iPhone 4s and currently using an original Samsung Focus. Note impressed with the iPhone 5 and very interested in the 920. Hopefully Windows 8 phone OS turns out great. There are definite things I hope they improve on. I just wish the 920 had a real button for the Windows key that can turn on the phone. Just way more convenient. That and hopefully vendors improve their apps. Just because an app might be on the Windows Marketplace doesn't mean much if it is missing half the features of the iPhone version.
    10-05-2012 04:55 PM
    I already have an iPhone 5 and while I am in love with aesthetically and love the app ecosystem. I'll probably still buy a 920! I just hope that WP8 has some kind of new notification system more like Android & iOS.

Notification is the same as before (WP7). You get the notice on top edge of the screen and then the Live Tile gets updated.
    11-03-2012 04:52 PM
    To me the iphone 5 is boring ... i find myself using my 808 more often than the iphone, and I suspect the 920 will be better than both of them.
    11-03-2012 04:56 PM
    Well, MS announced on Monday that you will be able to sync all your iTunes music (and I assume movies as well?) with Windows Phones, so I don't think there is anything to worry about on that front.
    11-03-2012 07:46 PM
    So, what about doing the switch (which I plan to do actually). How do I get my contacts from my iPhone to the Nokia? Any idea guys? :) I really don't wanna manually add all the contacts... :(
    11-04-2012 03:37 AM
    So, what about doing the switch (which I plan to do actually). How do I get my contacts from my iPhone to the Nokia? Any idea guys? :) I really don't wanna manually add all the contacts... :(

Sync your contacts to an email account. As soon as you add that account it'll sync them automatically. It will also pull your fb friends if you add that account.
    11-04-2012 07:37 AM

[YT]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BOH3nBRbtHo[/YT]
    11-04-2012 07:47 AM
    I used copytrans to get my contacts off my iphoen, works great, but I had to pay for it tough. Not alot, but still not freeware.
    11-04-2012 08:15 AM
    Thanks, that looks easy. How much is the app then?
    Last edited by litchblader; 11-04-2012 at 09:55 AM.
    11-04-2012 09:33 AM
    I had to do this for someone who just went iPhone->Galaxy s3. I ended up exporting the contacts from iCloud, and then importing them into a google mail account. Windows live might have an easier solution...don't know. That bluetooth transfer method mentioned above looks pretty sweet.
    11-04-2012 10:58 AM
    I got gmail aswell, but I'd rather do it with the bluetooth method mentioned above. Looks really great.
    11-04-2012 11:07 AM
    Let me state right up front: I'm much more excited about WP8 and Lumia than the iPhone 5. I wish I could switch away from my sequence of iPhones. The problem is that I'm smothered into the Apple ecosystem (which is exactly Apple's game plan, of course). Movies and music, for one. All the movies I already bought through iTunes. It's not even clear to me how to buy movies on a Windows Phone. And then there is integration with iPad and Mac. Does Windows Phone integrate well enough with Mac (example: the windows phone help page say you have to buy movies on a PC and transfer to the phone. No mention about buying movies directly on the phone or on a Mac). And there is iMessage.

A have a few hours to decide if I should pre-order the Iphone 5, or wait for the Lumina, and I'm torn.
    Does this one help?

Welcome Home to Windows Phone
    11-04-2012 11:58 AM
    You dont lose anything media wise, but not sure if Zune software works on macs

You don't need Zune software for PC or Mac with WP8
    11-04-2012 01:11 PM
    Thanks, that looks easy. How much is the app then?

if your talking to me, the Nokia contacts transfer app is free. There is even a website you can use that takes all data from your current phone and transfers it to your new Nokia, then takes all your current apps and finds new WP apps, I forget the name of the site, but it was posted here on wpcentral
    11-04-2012 03:37 PM
    if your talking to me, the Nokia contacts transfer app is free. There is even a website you can use that takes all data from your current phone and transfers it to your new Nokia, then takes all your current apps and finds new WP apps, I forget the name of the site, but it was posted here on wpcentral
    Ebaneeezor: Is it a nokia website? I'll try the software first, thanks for your help :)
    11-04-2012 03:49 PM
    Ebaneeezor: Is it a nokia website? I'll try the software first, thanks for your help :)

yes, its a website. I'll post a link when I get home.
    11-07-2012 03:20 PM
    11-09-2012 02:04 PM
    I just wanted to follow up on this old thread, since I started it.

I think it is clear I decided on the iPhone 5 instead of the Nokia 920 a year ago. But a week ago my iPhone was stolen, and this time I did make the switch: I bought a Nokia 1020. There is just nothing else in the mobile world even approaching the camera on the 1020.

Now I will see how I like Windows Phone compared to iOS. Definitely, I can see Microsoft's problem: for one App I used a lot, the developer says: "due to lack of demand, we decided not to develop a WP8 app." At the moment I mainly see the things missing in WP8 (no week view in calendar!), but as I get familiar with it I think I will start to see the advantages. Definitely, it is a very elegant UI.
    09-22-2013 03:38 PM
    gazelle trade in prices. Iphone 5 $300, lumia 1020 $267, lumia 920 $100. From a pure financial viewpoint, well, the answer is obvious. And yes, i now have a 920 and really like it.
    09-22-2013 07:53 PM
75 123
LINK TO POST COPIED TO CLIPBOARD