Anyone else a little disappointed with the 820?

cedarlog

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
I'm really hoping Nokia did their testing on the 820's screen. With no gorilla glass they better have chosen another quality scratch resistant display
sorry but there isn't any scratch resistant screen
if they have to implement scratch resistant screen gorilla glass will be their choice
what i would like to know how much scratch resistant screen will increase price of the phone and how much it will drop the price if there isn't any

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't buy for a second that there's no scratch resistant screen just because there's no Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (TM). Corning is not the only company that makes scratch-resistant glass, and competitors with less name recognition probably offer scratch-resistant glass at a fraction of the price. So you go with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for your flagship due to name recognition, and you go with brand X scratch-resistant glass on the mid-range device for 90% the scratch resistance with 50% of the cost.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I don't buy for a second that there's no scratch resistant screen just because there's no Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (TM). Corning is not the only company that makes scratch-resistant glass, and competitors with less name recognition probably offer scratch-resistant glass at a fraction of the price. So you go with Corning Gorilla Glass 2 for your flagship due to name recognition, and you go with brand X scratch-resistant glass on the mid-range device for 90% the scratch resistance with 50% of the cost.
I always get a kick out of people who say that they won't buy a phone unless there is proof that they could use the phone as a hammer in a pinch. There will definitely be a quality panel on the phone.

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
I'm a guy that just tosses my phone in my pocket with keys, loose change, ECT. Why even take a chance? Nothing worse than a scuffed screen. Also, 1650 battery is a joke in a 4.3 phone.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm a guy that just tosses my phone in my pocket with keys, loose change, ECT. Why even take a chance? Nothing worse than a scuffed screen. Also, 1650 battery is a joke in a 4.3 phone.

If that's what you do, then maybe you should prioritize a device with Corning Gorilla Glass 2. The 8S has it. It's inferior in every other way to the Lumia 820 (particularly camera, memory, and onboard storage), but it's got Gorilla Glass.

Personally, I keep my phone in a pocket on its own because, even if the screen was made of bulletproof unobtanium, I don't want the remaining 60% of the phone's surface to be covered in scuffs and scratches. For this sort of use, I'm not sure that brand X scratch-resistant glass is really any worse than Corning Gorilla Glass 2 (TM).

ricardios

Sep 23, 2012
Visit site
FYI - the Samsung Galaxy Nexus does NOT have gorilla glass. Instead it uses fortified glass. There's videos online of it going through scratch tests. The more I think about it I'm not really worried about screen the 820 has. Sure the resolution can be higher but if it's as clear as the 900 I'll be happy.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

I think there's a strong possibility we will see aftermarket extended batteries thanks to the removable back/replaceable battery.

A nice 2000 MaH battery upgrade from Nokia or even SEIDO would be an attractive option.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site

90% the scratch resistance for 50% the cost?

Is that pure speculation or do you have some verifiable data for that?

SugiSugiarto1

Apr 22, 2013
Visit site
not at all, i have Lumia 800 and that make it Lumia 820 more more comfortable.
nice offline Map! smart shot and beautifull Nokia citylens!
'sent from my bold & beautiful Lumia 820'

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos