Wireless chagers - where to put them?

TexZenFool

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
It really surprised me that one of the biggest things I miss about my old Pre is the convenience of the Touchstone charger. Being able to basically drop it on the charger and not have to fumble with finding my cable and its tiny usb connector that has to be plugged in the right way is a real bonus. Honestly, we're only talking about saving about 3-4 seconds each time, but the perception of how easy that is has a much bigger impact for me.

The old Palm forums has lots of posts about how people were installing the Palm Touchstone chargers in their cars. Browse around there if you want to get some good ideas.

LevSer

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I have really been trying to find reasons not to buy the L920 (in favor of 8X and L820) but both of those phones have some lack of features that sway me towards the 920. Anywho, because I'm getting 920, and thus will be getting wireless charging I've already though of a way to integrate it into my home office desk.

I have a pretty thick leather desk pad made up of three layers; one layer of leather, one of cork, and one of some material which is in contact with the desk (don't know what its called). As long as I can pry open the shell of the wireless charger and spread out the components as I wish (modifications will be needed ofc) I might be able to fit the charger under the upper layer of leather.

This way I will have a seemingly ordinary desk pad where I currently use my laptop/paper documents/books with a charging area for my phone at the top left/right corner. It all depends on the thickness of the individual components of the charger, so this will probably be the first thing I investigate after getting my L920 /w wireless charger.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
Remember that the Nokia qi plates are for the time being the only plates to have both charging and NFC, and this allow auto app launching when placing the phone on the charger.

Im getting a Nokia charger for me car, not sure about me desk yet, but nightstand and gf's nightstand will be cheep ones...

I have played around with the idea of the energizer qi pad with 2 chargers on, fit it inside my desk, and then see if I couldn't get something like a 820 cover with inductive charging, and somehow solder the coils onto my computer mouse.
It just leaves the issue where I need to move it when its near death, so still thinking on that one.

I don't know If any of you managed to sit through that entire Russian "review", but they actually test the distance the 920 can be from the qi pad and still charge, and its actually around 1cm.
I assume the longer from the pad the slower the charging time, but its nice to know Im gonna have some room to work with.

What russian review ? I also picked up a Energizer QI charger on ebay for $16... and was thinking of gutting it to put in side things...

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
What russian review ? I also picked up a Energizer QI charger on ebay for $16... and was thinking of gutting it to put in side things...

I took my energizer Qi charger apart and it'd be pain to use this one to integrate into other things. There's only one circuit board for both plates.

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I took my energizer Qi charger apart and it'd be pain to use this one to integrate into other things. There's only one circuit board for both plates.

Figured as much. Plan on putting them both next to each other in what your building it in. There for you will have a wider range of placing your device (I would think) or you can be ready for another QI charging device..

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Figured as much. Plan on putting them both next to each other in what your building it in. There for you will have a wider range of placing your device (I would think) or you can be ready for another QI charging device..

I might try to snag another if I can on the cheap. I want one in good working order when I get my phone.

EvanKr

Aug 18, 2012
Visit site
If I end up with a 920, wireless charging would be a HUGE advantage for me. As a current webOS user, it's honestly one of the platform's great little features that have me hooked. It's less so about the speed and more so about ease, I have a Touchstone in the kitchen, living room, bedroom, rec room, I've even installed one in the car. One of the benefits with the Touchstone is its ability to magnetically attach itself to the phone, which lets you easily use one in the car, so you may be out of luck there with the Lumia.

What's really concerning me though, is the price. When the Touchstone was initially released it sold for a whopping $70, what's more, it costed about $5 to manufacture. Hopefully Nokia won't get too greedy, $30 would be a good price, but anything too much higher and I'm out.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Or exhibition mode like webOS has!

Although SAMOLED are prone to burn in, not sure id want an app that kept the screen on with static images... Then again, the 920 doesn't have an SAMOLED screen!

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

No idea what is "exhibition mode", but you could do like the screensavers on AMOLED devices do.. they switch places. So instead of having the clock screensaver in the same place all night for it to burn in, it changes it's place every minute. Naturally with like.. a full screen image might be harder to do :p Just have it not show the same thing long periods :p

But yes, it's a small quality of life thing, but as someone who always (and just about only) charges their phone over the night, it's the project every night before going to bed is dig up the charger cable from behind the night stand or somewhere. Sure there could be a way (as easy as taping it) to have it there easier, but I wouldnt underestimate the convenience of just dropping it in. Especially more so in cases other than having it at your night stand. Being able to charge your phone by just putting it down on the tablet (in the right spot! :D) is a nice thing.

I'd like to get one of those JBL speakers for living room and/or kitchen and just a usual charging pad for the nightstand. Thought about installing it into the nightstand (I read that even up to 40mm off the pad and it should still charge), but I think my better half would kill me for touching the nightstand with anything that leaves a permanent change to it :D

Last edited:

ejb222

Apr 3, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if any company makes a NFC chip that can be installed in a home PC? What if you could power your NFC enabled wireless charging plate via USB from your PC? Then when you place your phone on the charger, the NFC tag automatically starts up the sync with XYZ on your PC. Or even if they made a NFC chip that connected via SATA or PCI to your PC and you just attached it to the inside of your PC case where you might rest a phone or be able to touch it to the PC. Or any combination of these ideas. What do you think?

rwcrossman

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I had my Touchstones for my Pre+ all over the place, one on my desk in the office, one on the night stand, and one next to the couch, they were small enough to not really be noticeable and the black blended in with my endtables. I'm not sure how the ones for the 920 are going to fit in but I'm too spoiled to go back to having to plug in my phone again. :D

Aykazu

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Im installing those wireless charging docks here in my house to the kitchen, 2x into living room (one close to my hometeather and the other inside the sofa), one to my work room and of course one of those beatiful JBL speakers is going somewhere, thinking of putting it into the sauna but theres the problem called water...

Anyway car needs a charger also, im propably gonna go into MacGyver mode and tune up my Lumia 900's navigation dock into a wireless charging navigation dock :p

damn... These chargers are propably gonna cost a fortune lol :D

Jay Bennett

Resident Developer
Nov 2, 2010
Visit site
Im installing those wireless charging docks here in my house to the kitchen, 2x into living room (one close to my hometeather and the other inside the sofa), one to my work room and of course one of those beatiful JBL speakers is going somewhere, thinking of putting it into the sauna but theres the problem called water...

Dude you totally forgot to put one in your shower! And next to your toilet...

TenTwelve

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
Anyone know if any company makes a NFC chip that can be installed in a home PC? What if you could power your NFC enabled wireless charging plate via USB from your PC? Then when you place your phone on the charger, the NFC tag automatically starts up the sync with XYZ on your PC. Or even if they made a NFC chip that connected via SATA or PCI to your PC and you just attached it to the inside of your PC case where you might rest a phone or be able to touch it to the PC. Or any combination of these ideas. What do you think?

NFC and wireless charging are completely separate elements. NFC tags can be applied anywhere and are basically a label with a thin chip. It is powered by the field generated by phone not by it's own source. The tags are programmed by the phone to activate your choice of actions.

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rhiannonbarion