Advantages of Ativ S over Lumia 920

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
The appeal of the Ativ S is its screen size and phone form factor. HTC and Nokia screwed up by making their phones nearly identical in size and weight as the HTC Titan, but with a smaller screen. The only way I'd go down to a 4.5" or 4.3" screen from my Titan would be if there were some phone size benefit to it. Why get another huge phone with smaller screen? 4.7" is glorious.

The Nokia and HTC both appear to be great phones, but any Titan owner is going to balk, I imagine. 4.3" in a phone the size of the Titan especially is not happening for me.

Really? I'm not concerned by the 820's size in comparison to my TITAN. Will have to hold it to be sure though.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Samsung ATIV S is not a carrier exclusive phone!

The ATIV S will be on all Canadian/USA carriers like the GS3 :)

Samsung ATIV S is not a carrier exclusive phone! :happy:

Lumia 920 is only on two Exclusive carriers US/CAN :mad:

justop26

Jun 22, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to get the Lumia 920 and I'm eyeing the ATIV S for my girlfriend... I'm trying to convince her to change to WP8, seeing that her beloved GS2 just got stolen and she hates the GS3 looks (square corners are a must, go figure...).

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
I would have thought someone would have added this benefit to the ATIV s. Samsung Smart TV integration. My wife and I are into dog agility and I video most of the runs in a days meet. It would be nice to come home, click the smart button and see these runs on a large screen TV.

All of the other things mentioned here are good points; just adding a subtle one to the list.:D

rabit1

Sep 8, 2011
Visit site
Nokia Maps and Nokia Drive are being made available for ALL Windows Phone 8 devices, which in my opinion, takes away the primary pull Nokia had going for it.

Can someone confirm that Nokia Drive is being made available for all phones? I thought it was only Nokia Map

Squachy

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
I can only think of:

-Bigger screen (4.8inch)
-better battery (removable, and its like 2300mah?)
-removable SD card

What i want is the screen usable with gloves (when it gets cold up in canada, it gets COLD), the camera (i hope its as good as its hyped up to be) and the wireless charging (more for a set and forget deal without having to fiddle around with the USB cable)

Thickness doesnt bother me.....ive had an Optimus 7 (kia) and currently using a Lumia 710. If you look up the dimensions of those, they are still some of the thickest phones out there. And if you put a big fat case on an iphone its just as if not thicker (like many people do)

and the Optimus 7 was 160g so it was a heavy mofo, and i never realized it until i switched to the 710 lol. Damn thing feels like a chunk of metal (well it did have a real metal backplate). You could probably break a wall if you tossed it at one lol. The Lumia on the other hand is much lighter but still has a very solid feel to it (like u can break a wall if you threw it at one lol)

but since Telus is carrying the ATIV and not the Lumia 920...i will have to look at it.

spinedoc

Oct 23, 2012
Visit site
Ativ all the way for me. The nokia and HTC phones look like little kids Tonka toys, although in black they aren't terrible, but they are pretty thick. The Ativ looks so sleek, it's too bad its plastic but at least they made an effort with the faux brushed aluminum. Also the lack of a microSD port is ridiculous these days. I just hope ATT gets it.

stkhalo07

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Benefits of the ATIV S over the 920:

• Removable battery
  • MicroSD support
  • 8.7mm vs. 10.7mm
  • 4.8'' vs. 4.5'' (though this might be a wash for people concerned about PPI)
  • Lighter weight (135 grams vs 185 grams)
  • Bigger battery (2,300mAh vs. 2,000mAh - though this again could be a wash in terms of actual battery life due to the increased screen size)

Benefits of the 920 over the ATIV S:

• Nokia exclusive applications
  • Super Sensitive Touch technology (able to use gloves)
  • Higher screen PPI (332 vs. 306)
  • Wireless charging
  • Camera (this is subjective until the reviews are out, but with image stabilization on the 920 and the GS3 sensor being used on the ATIV, it's hard to see it not being better)

That's the unbiased list. There are arguments to be made for build quality (which would probably go in the 920's favor), though again, that is subjective. Another argument could be made that the support is there more on the Lumia devices, but we don't know what Samsung will do going forward.

Personally, I can't do a 10.7mm thick phone. If the Lumia was 9mm or 9.5mm I'd (possibly) chose it over the ATIV (still would prefer a 4.8''). But a whole 3mm thicker is a huge difference - keeping in mind the ATIV still isn't the thinnest phone out there, either. I'm a bit worried because I need to get a new phone within the next month or so for work, and if the ATIV isn't out I may have to jump platforms for a thinner phone. Would be a shame - I've been onboard since the OG Focus, have the Focus S, and was looking forward to the ATIV since it fit my specific needs. But thinness is a big deal to me, and the HTC 8X is only marginally thinner, plus I'd like at least a 4.5'' screen, so that tosses it out.

That being said, there's a lot to like about the 920. Nokia provides great support, they care about the platform, and they're offering some great technology.

Last edited:

paulm187

Nov 14, 2010
Visit site
I've got a Samsung Omnia 7 so my natural upgrade would have been the ATIV S, however support for the Omnia has been dreadful and Samsung don't give two hoots about Windows Phone. So I'm not buying this, it will be a Nokia or HTC phone for me.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
The ATIV is a fantastic device and it comes from proven hardware. It represents the best hardware samsung had until the Note II.

Also it has huge advantages (practical ones) over the competition.

Better black levels on the screen.
Huge screen
720P actually gives you more screen real state.
Beautiful device, just stunning. In a different way than its colorful competition.
Super slim
Crazy light
One of the best cameras in the market.
Biggest battery size
Removable battery
SD card support.

Can't go wrong with the ATIV S. You just can't.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Has anyone pre-ordered the ATIV S at this point? I'm completely on the fence and really wish there were more reviews out there [thorough as the GSMArena one was, I'd like more than one opinion!]

phirefly

Jan 20, 2012
Visit site
I would have thought someone would have added this benefit to the ATIV s. Samsung Smart TV integration. My wife and I are into dog agility and I video most of the runs in a days meet. It would be nice to come home, click the smart button and see these runs on a large screen TV.

All of the other things mentioned here are good points; just adding a subtle one to the list.:D

DLNA via Nokia play can do this on a Samsung Smart TV

Smidgerine

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
It seems that ATT is not getting this phone in the US, is that correct?

I want to get it off contract maybe anyways. I have a Note 1 (which I actually really like the screen...just don't like Droid too much, although I do like it better than iOS), so I could sell it and buy the Ativ S.

What are the best places to buy things off contract in the US?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
johnwilliam9750