Windows Phone 8X by HTC

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
Hey...for the smart people out there,

what does a '2.55-volt audio amplifier' mean to a person like me? does this mean my device sounds louder when compared to a dedicated MP3 player.

In other words what does it mean in the real world

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Hey...for the smart people out there,

what does a '2.55-volt audio amplifier' mean to a person like me? does this mean my device sounds louder when compared to a dedicated MP3 player.

In other words what does it mean in the real world

Most likely nothing. It mainly means that it can drive some really high impedance headphones. If you're not an audiophile, it's not going to make much of a difference, in my opinion.

tk-093

Aug 30, 2010
Visit site
I think the rumor is the ATIV doing the GS3 thing and hitting all carriers (except Sprint, of course, who seems to like trying to lose paying customers).

But you are right- the 820 and not the 920 is rumored for Big Red. That makes the 8X top WP8 dawg in a huge, open yard right now.

If the ATIV launches at the same time as the 8X on Verizon, I'm probably gonna jump all over the ATIV. 2300 mAh battery versus 1800 and expandable storage is a no brainer.

The only thing that worries me is the signal quality. Having used both the VZW Galaxy Nexus (or as I refer to it, the Crapxus) and now the GS3, I just don't have a lot of faith in Sammy's radio ability... but to be honest, if it is at least as good as the GS3, it'll probably be acceptable.

No matter what I pick, I hope all the WP OEMs kick *** though.

sentimentGX4

Feb 23, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed. The 8X is clearly lower end than the HTC Titan. After offering WP users an amazing 4.7" device (and 4.7" was even bigger back then) with dual led flash and an attractive metal backplate, we get this?! 4.3"?

I hope an S4 Pro device is in the pipes to replace the Titan because this is clearly a downgrade. I am not impressed by any of the current WP8 offerings.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I am disappointed. The 8X is clearly lower end than the HTC Titan. After offering WP users an amazing 4.7" device (and 4.7" was even bigger back then) with dual led flash and an attractive metal backplate, we get this?! 4.3"?

I hope an S4 Pro device is in the pipes to replace the Titan because this is clearly a downgrade. I am not impressed by any of the current WP8 offerings.

you think a phone is a down grade if they make the screen smaller? Is that correct?

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I would say smaller screen and plastic unibody instead of aluminum is a downgrade as well. I am not impressed with the 8x, I am surprised so many are actually. Its thicker than the TITAN. Screen is obviously higher res but not even the maximum 768 version for WP8. 16gb is not enough for me as I am out of space on my 16gb TITAN.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I would say smaller screen and plastic unibody instead of aluminum is a downgrade as well. I am not impressed with the 8x, I am surprised so many are actually. Its thicker than the TITAN. Screen is obviously higher res but not even the maximum 768 version for WP8. 16gb is not enough for me as I am out of space on my 16gb TITAN.

I understand where you are coming from but I think more makers are going away from aluminum and more to some sort of plastic. Now, unlike Samsung Nokia and HTC are going for unibody polycarbonate which is largely better than what samsung, lg, etc. are using. To me metal and glass does not = high end, there is more to the total package of a device than just materials. Another thing is that there are somethings like NFC that you can not have if the back of your phone is metal.

Gaichuke

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Build quality does seem a bit rushed for some parts:

fld09c.jpg

power5

Oct 10, 2011
Visit site
I understand where you are coming from but I think more makers are going away from aluminum and more to some sort of plastic. Now, unlike Samsung Nokia and HTC are going for unibody polycarbonate which is largely better than what samsung, lg, etc. are using. To me metal and glass does not = high end, there is more to the total package of a device than just materials. Another thing is that there are somethings like NFC that you can not have if the back of your phone is metal.

Same with antenna's for cell, but titan still works. They put the antenna in the plastic chin. Put the NFC chip right behind a plastic logo or something similar. Nokia's polycarbonate looks much higher quality than HTC. HTC says they have a curved glass, but I do not see it in any pictures.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
Same with antenna's for cell, but titan still works. They put the antenna in the plastic chin. Put the NFC chip right behind a plastic logo or something similar. Nokia's polycarbonate looks much higher quality than HTC. HTC says they have a curved glass, but I do not see it in any pictures.

That's a good point. I don't know how large nfc chips are but you have a good point. Maybe they didn't want to have two different materials this time...I do remember reading a statment from htc where they stated they were going away from metal.

brmiller1976

Aug 5, 2011
Visit site
All the bashing from Nokia-land is telling. I'll ignore it other than to note that HTC has announced a price, a shipping date and availability on my carrier -- all things Nokia has yet to do.

I'm sure the experimental phones shown in the debut are hand-built without the level of fit and finish that a production device would have. Though I'd rather have an ugly power supply cutout and availability today than a pretty one on a demo device with no pricing and availability "in the coming months." ;)

I'm excited.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
Wow... they got most of the things right that I did not like about the 920. Higher res without making the phone/screen bigger than the 900, matte finish.

I won't be replacing my L900 for a while, but you have my attention HTC. :cool:

EDIT: Ah looks like the 8x is even TALLER than the 920 :straight: with a smaller screen, which is pretty lame. At least it's narrower and lighter though.

So far I've seen nothing from Nokia, HTC or Samsung that makes me want to trade my 900 in early though.

I'll wait.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb