Windows Phone 8X by HTC

independentvolume

Sep 28, 2011
Visit site
All the bashing from Nokia-land is telling. I'll ignore it other than to note that HTC has announced a price, a shipping date and availability on my carrier -- all things Nokia has yet to do.

I'm sure the experimental phones shown in the debut are hand-built without the level of fit and finish that a production device would have. Though I'd rather have an ugly power supply cutout and availability today than a pretty one on a demo device with no pricing and availability "in the coming months." ;)

I'm excited.
I have nothing against Nokia, except for the phone of theirs I want doesn't have gorilla glass. I like the 820 way more than the 920.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
Beats looks interesting, especially with the internal amp on the 8X.

What they havnt said, is if there is a decent DAC in there (like the 24bit DAC in the galaxy S3).

No point amping average sound.

Blackwood504

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
GSMarena says 8X has got micro SD slot. Is this site trustworthy. I feel microSD card slot is a messy specification. By GSMarena only 920 lacks microSD slot.

HTC Windows Phone 8X - Full phone specifications

According to HTC's site: "Total storage: 16 GB, available capacity varies
RAM: 1GB" They don't mention SD for the 8x, it is mentioned on the 8s "Total storage: 16 GB, available capacity varies
Expansion SD card slot supports micro? SD memory card for additional storage (card not included)
RAM 512 MB"

anon(5335877)

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site
Same with antenna's for cell, but titan still works. They put the antenna in the plastic chin. Put the NFC chip right behind a plastic logo or something similar. Nokia's polycarbonate looks much higher quality than HTC. HTC says they have a curved glass, but I do not see it in any pictures.

I prefer antennas on the top of the phone, not on the bottom.

I guess them meant only the edges are curved.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
Well I have to say I am pleasantly surprised by HTC and I may need to wait and see how they do in reviews...I was not expecting this level of phones for their Windows devices. I especially like how thin it is compared to the 920...

v10type-r

Mar 27, 2012
Visit site
Reading this thread really puts a smile on my face.

iPhone users get 1 choice.

Windows Phone 8 users get 3 top end phones and a bunch of mid-low range phones to choose from.

The consumers win big today in my opinion. That is as long as you're not tied to a carrier, but still. We have options.

I love it.

LeiChat

Jul 6, 2012
Visit site
I especially like how thin it is compared to the 920...

According to the specs the 8X is 10.12mm, the 920 is 10.7mm so hardly anything in it.

The design is brilliant though as the curved back fooled us both into thinking it was slimmer. :confused:

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Only complaint is not having 32gb's or SD slot.... would have been fine with one or the other.

they should bundle some beats buds

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
All the bashing from Nokia-land is telling. I'll ignore it other than to note that HTC has announced a price, a shipping date and availability on my carrier -- all things Nokia has yet to do.

I'm sure the experimental phones shown in the debut are hand-built without the level of fit and finish that a production device would have. Though I'd rather have an ugly power supply cutout and availability today than a pretty one on a demo device with no pricing and availability "in the coming months." ;)

I'm excited.

So of course it was time for you to counter bash, right? Only logical

Flan Tamarind

Nov 17, 2011
Visit site
While I like the direction HTC is going here, I don't know about jumping in on the 8X. If you're going to throw down you should go all in and I feel like we are revisiting last fall with Mango. We all know that 3 or 4 months from launch there will be an 8XL waiting in the wings just like the Titan/Titan2 and the Focus S/Focus 2.

Some of the choices here scream Early Adopters ONLY. BT2.1, 720p 4.3in screen, No microSD slot, 16gb memory are all indicative of a do over in a few months.

I experienced a similar situation when I bought the mytouch3g when, two months later, they launched the mytouch4g out of the blue with better specs all around for the same price. But since I was on T-Mobile and the choices at the time were limited, I went for it thinking it was the best deal and was ultimately disappointed.

Just sayin...

PS: Don't get me wrong, it's a very attractive device. As a T-Mobile customer who has fallen for the trap before, I think I'm going to wait this round out considering the lack of a certain numbered Lumia not making it to my carrier. I'll be happier than a pig in **** when the 8XL drops, HOPEFULY, on T-Mo.

fiveodano

Aug 28, 2012
Visit site
I think Nokia has the best offering, but I do like this phone. If Tmo doesn't carry the 920, I would be very happy with the 8X. As for specs, other than the 2.1 BT (will not affect me) and 16mg (still haven't used up the 8mg in my Nokia 710), this really looks like a flagship phone to me. Also, I would like to try the Beats Audio with my full size headphones, I understand they use a more powerful amplifier section.

Kredrian

Feb 20, 2012
Visit site
I guess that's why they make so many different phones.
4-4.3 max is my screen preference
I won't notice the 60hz difference
I don't take many pics
X has expandable memory, 920 doesn't
I'm usually using my phone while it charges. Wireless charging, do not want.

Also, the 920 is a BRICK.

As they say, to each their own. Bottom line is we will both be happy.

Exactly, I wish more people understood that. I love my L900, and will probably be getting the L920, but I was really impressed with HTC today. I thought for sure they would just be recycling some old design they had lying around, but from what I can see, it seems they are taking WP8 very seriously. It also seems like MS and HTC are getting seriously cozy which I thought was interesting. Both the Nokia and HTC designs I think are great, I like them much better than the Ativ S.

swimmer160

Oct 30, 2011
Visit site
Totally agree that HTC did a pretty bang up job with these phones. The 8x looks fantastic. I'm just worried about picking this up, I'm thinking it might be wiser to wait until the 8x2 comes out a few months later...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte