Samsung be overly quiet

Garrett92C

Aug 21, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't think Samsung cares about it's Windows Phone.

I don't know about that, but it's obvious that Nokia and HTC are putting MUCH more effort into WP8. The Ativ S doesn't look much different than Samsung's Android devices (namely the GSIII)...

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I think the whole ATIV line up looks nice... the ATIV S looks super sharp BUT they haven't really talked about anything at all.

mrkalel

Apr 11, 2012
Visit site
I am wondering if HTC just dropped a gem in the lap of Samsung by mimicking the Nokia look/design and will market against those two by being completely different w/ the ATIV S...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I think Samsung is resting on their laurels. They figure that a phone that is good enough to be the flagship on android will be a hit for the WP crowd. And on paper, the Ativ is attractive. Samsung amoled technology is awful nice on a phobe that is all screen...

Sent from my SGH-i917 using Board Express

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
They figure that a phone that is good enough to be the flagship on android will be a hit for the WP crowd.

I'm sure that's what they're thinking...and you know what? They might be on to something. The Galaxy S3 has utterly dominated the Android dialogue since its release. It's popularity is something that the HTC One X and the Motorola Droix Maxx haven't come close to touching. They may be taking a "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" approach to the hardware. And it's good hardware. The GS3 owner I know absolutely adores his phone.

jwinch2

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
I think the whole ATIV line up looks nice... the ATIV S looks super sharp BUT they haven't really talked about anything at all.
Agreed. They could talk it up a bit more. Perhaps they were waiting until the contenders from Nokia and HTC were released. Or, Samsung might just not want to fight battles on too many fronts. They are going after the new iPhone pretty hard right now and may not wish to start another one.

travisel

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Im hoping that Samsung talk about the new North American model of the ATIV S with LTE support and put on all networks just like the GS3?

Last edited:

inteller

Banned
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
with the exception of the camera, the ATIV S is the phone to have. Sadly it is with an OEM who could care less what happens to Windows Phone. They released the ATIV S because it was easy, and probably Microsoft did some arm twisting cause they are a Windows 8 licensee.

blehblehbleh

Dec 14, 2011
Visit site
I honestly don't think Samsung cares about it's Windows Phone.

This is what I think too. This isn't to say they don't think about the hardware they offer. I mean we can tell with the Focus and Focus S, but it's nowhere near the same as Nokia or what HTC has recently shown.

If it were up to Samsung I think they'd rather be pushing their own OS platform, and so right now they're just waiting in the wings and doing just enough.

Neofire

Oct 17, 2010
Visit site
I think that Samsung definitely cares about windows phone, I'm sure they wanna make money. And so far they have released what 4 windows phones making the ATIV S their 5th. Sounds like a decent level of commitment to me. Yes their GS 3 chassie may seeem easy but they gave it a nice metalic and polished look unlike its shiny plastic android twin.

I think the ATIV is nice, hopefully when the OS is released they reveal more features of this device.

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
I think that Samsung definitely cares about windows phone, I'm sure they wanna make money. And so far they have released what 4 windows phones making the ATIV S their 5th. Sounds like a decent level of commitment to me. Yes their GS 3 chassie may seeem easy but they gave it a nice metalic and polished look unlike its shiny plastic android twin.

I think the ATIV is nice, hopefully when the OS is released they reveal more features of this device.
I completely agree. With Android making so much green for them, they did not have to release 2 Mango devices, much less a third with LTE. I think Samsung has a ton of pokers in the fire (lawsuits, the GS3 release, Tizen development, Bada support, world wide distribution, they are a parts supplier to other device makers), and when you are that much of a monstrously large company, something falls through the cracks. For them, I would say it was WP7 promotion. But my Focus S did get tango and a couple of software updates, so at least Samsung owners haven't been completely ignored like HTC owners have been.

I am excited to see how they handle the launch of the ATIV S and their whole Windows line. What GS3 exclusives are coming, the specifics, the carriers, ECT. That will go a long, long way to showing if they are serious about WP8 or not. And whether or not I stick with them or go Nokia.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
Samsung also said they plan on being on the top of the throne for wp8 just like they are on android... prety big words to speak

dazza9075

Jun 10, 2012
Visit site
I wonder when these OEMs will realise that less lockdown is more, I mean I have the focus S because of that, id have rather had a Lumia 900 but it isn't unlockable.

The HTC HD2 an old WM6 device, is still selling new for as much as a brand new Lumia or Focus S, why? because it is still immense and there is demand for it, whys that? because it works very well, very solid device, and more importantly its unlockable

leventc

Sep 28, 2012
Visit site
Ativ S is a great phone but samsung is not advertising it as good as s3. If they would advertise ativ s like they did on s3. I'm sure ativ s would get more interest.

GoodThings2Life

Dec 1, 2011
Visit site
my HTC titan
has had all these on time without forcing. I'm pretty sure most HTC owners have had them except for those on at&t and some other carriers. Stop blaming the company for the failure of your carrier or better yet be smart and buy unlocked and unbranded.

Maybe that's how it works in Scotland, but here in the states, it's not so simple. Buying unlocked is an expensive path to take, and most people don't bother. I'm a tech guy, and I won't even bother.

Is it AT&T's fault that they wouldn't release the updates? Yeah, partly... but where was HTC pushing them for it? AT&T was perfectly willing to release it for Nokia and Samsung, so why not HTC?

Also, I've manually downloaded and installed all the Windows Phone updates available, but I don't have that option for the HTC radio firmware, so I'm still stuck with all the buggy Wi-Fi and audio/video glitches it has.

Don't get me wrong, I mostly like the Titan, but I've been buying HTC for 7 years now, and it's not just the Titan that has had bad support. Every HTC I've had is buggy and slow to get updates (if it gets any at all). The EVO on Sprint was particularly bad about the updates causing more problems than they fixed.

In other words, it's my last HTC for a while... and I'm not saying it's just their fault, but they aren't doing much to help their own cause either.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077