Why are you guys calling the Lumia 820 "mid-grade"?

snowmutt

Jul 4, 2011
Visit site
When helping people decide what is best for them (which in my circle of friends is surprisingly often), I never use "top end" or "mid-grade" to describe a device. To me there are 2 levels of Smart phones: Premium, and everything else. Either you are a top tier device and are worth a top tier price, or you are not and you had better be priced accordingly. Some premium devices are a stinking steal at their price point. I am betting the 820 will be a stinking steal. It has the making of a premium device, but will obviously be cheaper then the 920 or the premium Androids. That makes it a steal.

Again, we need to see. We need to see what the entire feature set of WP8 is, the performance of each device, and the prices. But it does look like you could argue for the 820 to be the best overall device with all things considered so long as it is less expensive than other WP8 phones.

Mitlov

Mar 16, 2012
Visit site
When helping people decide what is best for them (which in my circle of friends is surprisingly often), I never use "top end" or "mid-grade" to describe a device. To me there are 2 levels of Smart phones: Premium, and everything else. Either you are a top tier device and are worth a top tier price, or you are not and you had better be priced accordingly. Some premium devices are a stinking steal at their price point. I am betting the 820 will be a stinking steal. It has the making of a premium device, but will obviously be cheaper then the 920 or the premium Androids. That makes it a steal.

Again, we need to see. We need to see what the entire feature set of WP8 is, the performance of each device, and the prices. But it does look like you could argue for the 820 to be the best overall device with all things considered so long as it is less expensive than other WP8 phones.

I use "high end" for $199+ with a two-year plan; "mid-range" for $99 with a two-year plan, and "entry-level" for free with a two-year plan. I suspect the Lumia 920 will be priced at $200-$250 with a two-year plan and the 820 will be $99 with a two-year plan.

maycontainuts

Jun 13, 2012
Visit site
What I always find interesting for the 'high-end' classification is how specs and hardware are the only thing factored into this way of thinking, we need to see build quality and the design in front of our eyes first before we can judge ey?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
What I always find interesting for the 'high-end' classification is how specs and hardware are the only thing factored into this way of thinking, we need to see build quality and the design in front of our eyes first before we can judge ey?

The reason for this is specification and hardware are cold hard facts. Build quality is highly opinionated. Like most people said the TITAN was poor build quality, whereas mine has been solid.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Eh, no HD screen still irks me. I love watching video's on my phone.

Also love that curved back is nice.

Surprisingly, I could care less about purview.

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
800x480 resolution on a 4.3" screen at this point is decidedly mid-grade. So is 8 GB of memory.

That said, I'd probably still be more likely to get an 820 over the gigantic 920. :straight:

Andrzej Janus

Jan 7, 2013
Visit site
They call it mid-grade because right now Nokia offers two models: 920 and 820. And between those two, the 920 has better specs - i know, in most vital parts they're exactly the same - but that's the reason. It doesn't make the 820 any less amazing, and for me it might be mid-grade between Lumias, but they're bot high-end devices.

Chemilinski

Jan 15, 2013
Visit site
It's mid range because it's smaller.

Come on guys, bigger IS better

So for example the Samsung Note 2 is a better phone than an S3? 'Size' is but a single factor, or indicator, of the quality of a product.
Because the new Hauwai phone has a 4" screen that makes it a better/on par with the 920? Of course not. I dare say it would even be on par with 820, more the 710 given its specs.

craigy18181

Nov 2, 2012
Visit site
At the end of the day the 920 is Nokia's flagship high-end phone. The 820 falls beneath that so is always going to be classed as their mid-range phone. It is a bloody good mid-range phone that I have been delighted with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss