So... I sold my unlimited data plan to AT&T...

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I am quite pleased, but do not like that this is how it had to end, as far as the position att has mate the unlimited data users... We are almost like enemies to them, but I went to the negotiating table... A lot of people question my solution, but I just had little reason to keep it... Seriously.

I purchased my Lumia900 when it launched earlier in the year and was extremely happy that I would be able to use the mobile hotspot feature with my unlimited data plan. I was wrong when I found out that you could not do so... Upset with AT&T that they are limiting what you can do with an unlimited data plan is just wrong... So, up until now I had a grandfathered unlimited plan from a few years back.

Thing is I have never come close to using a gig of data on my phone... I do use the Zune pass and Netflix, but I am almost always surrounded by managed wifi access. (I rarely use public). I also have an ipad2 which has 3G service through Verizon. I pay Verizon $20 a month for 1GB of access. So, even though I have not been using but at the most 1GB of my unlimited plan with AT&T ($30) and way less than a 1GB with Verizon ($20), I have been paying the $50 and not using it to its full advantage.

Seeing as how the grandfathered plans are valuable, especially to heavy users, I could have sold it... Thing is I did not want to give up my number. So, my question was what would be the incentive to give up my unlimited data plan? Well out of the box would be that I could cancel my Verizon plan for my iPad and use my lumia 900 as a mobile hotspot for the iPad, laptops, and other devices I use daily. But that is about it... I felt AT&T was bullying me to have to give up my lunch money just to go to school... So, I made a plan.

I called AT&T and told them what I had and asked them why would I give up my unlimited data plan and pay more? Long story short, we made a deal. They gave me $100 credit that comes to 5 months $20 for the extra on the data plan... I said, that's ok... But I also want to be open for early upgrade when the lumia 920 comes... They also agreed to this.

To make it even better, I go the lumia 900 free earlier in the year due to a billing/service error and then Nokia turned around and gave me another $100. Now I get $100 credit and can get the Nokia 900 at launch. I canceled my Verizon ipad plan, but i can now use the mobile hotspot feature with all of my devices. Shoot, I just purchased a fūl power bag a month back and can charge my phone up if I am out in the field using the mobile wifi. Dang, I think I have a great deal... Considering I never used close to 5GB of data in the first place nor am I paying anymore than I did before. AT&T got what they want by killing off an unlimited data plan and I came out just as good or better becAuse I now have even more functionality.

Also, considering what Verizon is going with unlimited data plans and subsidizing prices, it is only a matter of time before AT&T forces people on the corner with little to bargain with.

:cool::cool: I know it was a lot to read, so thank you. I'm just passing on my story. Maybe there are others who would benefit. Is there anyone else In a similar situation or would have accepted a similar solution?

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Nice work!! I don't have any access to WiFi but I've never used more than ? of the 5gb allotment on my plan. It's amazing how many people cling to plans they don't really need even when they could save money going another route. They would've had me at the early upgrade but my carrier (Bell Mobility; Canada) has already publicly announced they're not planning to carry the 920 so I'll be buying it outright from another carrier and unlocking it, then dumping them when my contract expires and one of the other carriers comes up with a better promotional plan. TELUS regularly has great plans, so they'll likely get my money after that point. I should point out that all the major Canadian carriers utilize the same spectrum; 850/1900 for HSPA, 1700 for LTE.

scottcraft

Aug 1, 2011
Visit site
I want to see if Verizon will move my March upgrade to November if I go ahead and switch to a shared data plan. I don't know if it will work since my wife's line is eligible to upgrade in November and I'll have to switch plans if she gets a subsidized phone, but all I can do is try.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
Did you get that early upgrade in writing, btw: an early upgrade is only $200 off or something like that not the new 2 year pricing. I have seen CS reps say anything and then it never was approved or even have any knowledge of anything. They do it so that they get a nice commission.

cluberti

Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat - I've had an unlimited plan for years, and I have a Verizon MiFi device I use for wifi when I'm on the road. My employer provides the MiFi device, and it gets used pretty much exclusively for work. I get close to 5GB a month (the cap on the MiFi), so dropping the MiFi and going with my phone only would probably put me over with a 5GB LTE plan. I have this option, but I've not taken it yet due to not wanting to give up unlimited data on my phone - I find I don't use more than 2GB or so a month on my phone itself, but couple that with about 5GB or so data on top of that and I'd be in the overages with the published plans. It just seems like there's very few good reasons to give it up if you don't absolutely need tethering, and since I don't absolutely need it right now (and they don't offer a plan with more than 5GB a month access anyway), it seems like a decision that makes little sense at the moment.

I don't envy anyone in this boat, and I hope to stay out of it for as long as possible.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Did you get that early upgrade in writing, btw: an early upgrade is only $200 off or something like that not the new 2 year pricing. I have seen CS reps say anything and then it never was approved or even have any knowledge of anything. They do it so that they get a nice commission.
Yeah, it was notated and I got an email confirming it. I have a had a good experience with customer service since I have been with AT&T so I am not worried.

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I'm in the same boat - I've had an unlimited plan for years, and I have a Verizon MiFi device I use for wifi when I'm on the road. My employer provides the MiFi device, and it gets used pretty much exclusively for work. I get close to 5GB a month (the cap on the MiFi), so dropping the MiFi and going with my phone only would probably put me over with a 5GB LTE plan. I have this option, but I've not taken it yet due to not wanting to give up unlimited data on my phone - I find I don't use more than 2GB or so a month on my phone itself, but couple that with about 5GB or so data on top of that and I'd be in the overages with the published plans. It just seems like there's very few good reasons to give it up if you don't absolutely need tethering, and since I don't absolutely need it right now (and they don't offer a plan with more than 5GB a month access anyway), it seems like a decision that makes little sense at the moment.

I don't envy anyone in this boat, and I hope to stay out of it for as long as possible.
I actually have a sprint mifi device I could have activated again but the thing is I do t want to Cary extra devices... Then keep them charged. I am trying reduce and increase efficiency. I personally have not had data trouble and just dot see it happening in the future.

Jeff Smith2

Nov 21, 2012
Visit site
Verizon Share Plan is the worse. It give you 300MB of Data and Unlimted Text +voice for $79.99. You can upgrade for $15 more to get the 2GB of Data. I tested my jailbroken iphone4 to tether with my laptop and see how much MB it will take for me to use up 300MB. In 30 minutes, I already used 400MB. That all it take, 30 minutes of movie streaming.
If you have a smart phone, Unlimited Data is the only way to have with Verizon. The 4G LTE Verizon speed is super faster. Sprit, T-Mobile, At&T, MetroPC doesn’t even come near to the Verizon 4GLTE.
And if any Verizon customer is grandfathered for unlimited data, who thinking to sale. You should ask for no less than $800 for a single unlimited data plan. And for a family unlimited, you should get a higher selling price.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon