Why do I have very bad feeing about the whole Nokia situation?

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
A series of events about Nokia indicating that this company may be in serious trouble and I am picturing myself one day in not so far future bragging about how great the Lumia 920 was and how sad it was still not enough to save the company.

Think about the recent Nokia related news, none of them pretty.

-- 920/820 were released but so long they still can't announce the pricing and availability and can't seem to line up the major carriers in major countries. Even if this is their last battle worth fighting but they don't show the eagerness and energy. With Iphone 5 releasing and sold 5M in 3 days and a big success for the GS3, I would price my best devices competitive and push them to every single carrier I can find in every country on this planet.
-- latest study shows that Windows Phone is hold a pathetic 3.5% market share.
-- As soon as HTC announce 8x and 8s, they become "THE" windows phone 8 on MS WP page.
-- rumor says that MS is building their own windows phone and I suspect it is very likely. Look at the interview with Elop he sounds bitter (May I quote what Elop's response? "even if it is true, we have contractual rights to unique technology", what technology you are talking about?)
-- latest rumor is that Nokia is going to sell their HQ building...

I like Nokia, my first dummy phone is Nokia and it was very nice and cool. But all the negative news/rumors make me wonder if I should jump onto a sinking ship, maybe I should get a 8x instead?

Last edited:

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
Im the other way to you, as I went and bought some Nokia shares as I think the 920/820 will be a success, well I think that they will shift more of them than the previous generation.
You only have to look at the online polls that are running, far more people want a 920 than a 8X

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I bought some Nokia stock myself as well a while ago and I was hoping that they can do a great turnaround.

No doubt that 820/920 are good devices but good device may not be good enough to save the whole mess. Lack of execution can still ruin it. Do you think Elop is a good leader, no, I don't thinks so... The bet on WP is a mistake in my opinion. They will be in a much better position if they support both WP and Android. They get nothing from MS being exclusively on WP.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
I can't believe any of this comes as a supprise.

Nokia has been in trouble for ages, the non-upgrading of WP7 devices to WP8 $%^&ed them right over, at a point where they were starting to gain traction in the mobile sales market.

The first month or 2 of WP8 sales will really dictate the future of Nokia. If sales are epic, things look good. If not, either Microsoft will buy Nokia, or Nokia will move to Android, and probably become an also-ran there too.

The HTC move was clever on Microsofts part. It will hopefully show the Microsoft isn't just dedicated to WP8 & Nokia. If they didn't do something like that soon, Microsoft & Nokia would be pushed too close together, and WP8 will just become a one make race.

Personally, i think the initial device line up is good, 3 very good OEMs, the WP8 feature set looks like it cures a lot of the issues with WP7, so really its down to the next few weeks. I expect Microsoft to go mad marketing WP8, same for Nokia. It'll be interesting to see just how commited HTC & Samsung are. HTC seem commited, not seen much from Samsung yet.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
  • 920/820 were announced, not released.
  • While WP share is low, it's grown significantly and Nokia holds well over half of that.
  • iPhone will sell millions even if it's a tin of spam
  • Rumours are just that, I highly doubt this to be true, at least in any direct competitive way and even if true it's more than likely MSFT will sell these through their stores only (like surface) which would mean US only for now.
  • Selling a building is a rather normal practice for huge companies like Nokia, it costs a lot of money to maintain and manage and it's cheaper to rent.

I do not see Nokia go anywhere any time soon. They have a healthy technology, services and patent portfolio, WP is still a minor part of heir revenue and they still sell devices like hotcakes on a daily basis which cost hem peanuts to make and bring in a decent margin.

If you feel you should go with HTC be my guest, but be prepared to be disappointed. HTC is nowhere near as dedicated to either the WP platform or their user base and you'll miss out on a lot of Nokia goodies in he mean time. I'll happily get myself an 820 next month, skip the 920 and then switch to the Lumia monster phone which I expect will come next year.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I believe they did, which was a large sum of money for going exclusively WP.

True, but that money is not enough to save Nokia from the mess. Lumia 800/900 will be a much bigger success if they are on Android as well. Look at how much GS II and GS III are sold by Samsung.

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
Why are people so concerned about saving Nokia? There are other companies out there.
Just about every thread has someone concerned about how Nokia is going to survive.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
The bet on WP is a mistake in my opinion. They will be in a much better position if they support both WP and Android. They get nothing from MS being exclusively on WP.

Nothing? They've already (alledgedly) had more than a billion dollars from Microsoft, and they are the premier WP8 OEM, with access to the WP source which HTC, Samsung, etc al don't have.

Nokia have already started plugging holes in WP7 (Bluetooth, contact sharing, Backup, etc), in a way no other OEM could. I can't imagine WP8 will be any different.

Put Nokia on Android, and whats soo special about them? Other than pureview nothing, they'll be another HTC, struggling to find a niche.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
A series of events about Nokia indicating that this company may be in serious trouble and I am picturing myself one day in not so far future bragging about how great the Lumia 920 was and how sad it was still not enough to save the company.

Think about the recent Nokia related news, none of them pretty.

-- 920/820 were released but so long they still can't announce the pricing and availability and can't seem to line up the major carriers in major countries. Even if this is their last battle worth fighting but they don't show the eagerness and energy. With Iphone 5 releasing and sold 5M in 3 days and a big success for the GS3, I would price my best devices competitive and push them to every single carrier I can find in every country on this planet.
-- latest study shows that Windows Phone is hold a pathetic 3.5% market share.
-- As soon as HTC announce 8x and 8s, they become "THE" windows phone 8 on MS WP page.
-- rumor says that MS is building their own windows phone and I suspect it is very likely. Look at the interview with Elop he sounds bitter (May I quote what Elop's response? "even if it is true, we have contractual rights to unique technology", what technology you are talking about?)
-- latest rumor is that Nokia is going to sell their HQ building...

I like Nokia, my first dummy phone is Nokia and it was very nice and cool. But all the negative news/rumors make me wonder if I should jump onto a sinking ship, maybe I should get a 8x instead?

You have a bad feeling because you read too many rumor sites where 80% of the stuff is bull****. HTC announced their devices the week after Nokia. I have yet to hear any pricing or release date for the US. They gave a month. An obvious month.

Nokia will dominate HTC in the WP8 realm. Anyone with half a brain realizes this. If some rumor about them selling their HQ building for reasons not even given has swayed you, then I have a hard time believing you aren't just some HTC troll.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I don't think HTC is the concern here. NoKia needs to aim big to ios and android here. If they can't grab substaintial market share with their 920/820, they are done

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
  • 920/820 were announced, not released.
  • While WP share is low, it's grown significantly and Nokia holds well over half of that.
  • iPhone will sell millions even if it's a tin of spam
  • Rumours are just that, I highly doubt this to be true, at least in any direct competitive way and even if true it's more than likely MSFT will sell these through their stores only (like surface) which would mean US only for now.
  • Selling a building is a rather normal practice for huge companies like Nokia, it costs a lot of money to maintain and manage and it's cheaper to rent.

I do not see Nokia go anywhere any time soon. They have a healthy technology, services and patent portfolio, WP is still a minor part of heir revenue and they still sell devices like hotcakes on a daily basis which cost hem peanuts to make and bring in a decent margin.

If you feel you should go with HTC be my guest, but be prepared to be disappointed. HTC is nowhere near as dedicated to either the WP platform or their user base and you'll miss out on a lot of Nokia goodies in he mean time. I'll happily get myself an 820 next month, skip the 920 and then switch to the Lumia monster phone which I expect will come next year.

What is that Nokia monstor you are talking about?

cgk

Nov 25, 2011
Visit site
The big concern is actually Samsung, if the wp8 market expands significantly, they will ramp up their activities and use their size and economies of scale to steamroll both companies.

Sent from my Lumia 800 using Board Express

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think HTC is the concern here. NoKia needs to aim big to ios and android here. If they can't grab substaintial market share with their 920/820, they are done

Define substantial. Because if they do a bit better than they do now, they aren't going anywhere. They are big overseas.

jabtano

Nov 25, 2010
Visit site
First off , it does not take nor will it take a few months for Nokia to get it's legs back. The New lumia line has done very well with the new devices coming out as well. Now the Lumia line alone is not going to save Nokia. it's going to be a whole number of things how well the devices sell. how well they can offer there other products and Nokia getting rid of dead cash suckers such as taxes and insurance on a mammoth building so selling it and then renting is an option that I would look at if it was my Company. Nokia will be fine long term yes, and if MS does there own phone so what? it's not going to hurt Nokia you turn around and make something better =)

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
Define substantial. Because if they do a bit better than they do now, they aren't going anywhere. They are big overseas.

Exactly, they are big, and I can't imagine how desperate they are right now if they have to sell their HQ building (I would understand if it's some random building, but hey, HQ ...) BTW, the story about Nokia is selling their HQ building is on the front page of wpcentral, and if it's pure bull****, I guess we could all pack up and go somewhere else.

I don't know how big the market share they have to grab, but beating HTC is not even close.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
What is that Nokia monstor you are talking about?

I expect Nokia to bring a device to the top end which will use all of the WP8 hardware options to the max. That would include a 20Mpix PureView camera, quadcore CPU, more memory and RAM and possibly a 5inch screen.

For now the 820 will suite me just fine and I can always jump to the 920 if I'm wrong later.

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Exactly, they are big, and I can't imagine how desperate they are right now if they have to sell their HQ building (I would understand if it's some random building, but hey, HQ ...)

The option to sell HQ was in the Q2 report, it's not news, nor is it an unexpected move for them. From your comments you show you do not really have an understanding of how these big companies operate in this respect.

They will sell and then lease back as that will be much more cost effective. This is actually good news as it frees up a large amount of cash to be put to good use.

Nokia is still the #1 phone seller shipping more devices than anyone else. That said they need to cut cost and this is an obvious and logical choice.

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
dont forget that Nokia just broke into the China market on the biggest carrier that has 650 Million customers and that WP dominates in China.

maverick786us

Sep 17, 2012
Visit site
I expect Nokia to bring a device to the top end which will use all of the WP8 hardware options to the max. That would include a 20Mpix PureView camera, quadcore CPU, more memory and RAM and possibly a 5inch screen.

For now the 820 will suite me just fine and I can always jump to the 920 if I'm wrong later.

Well that is a dream specs for everyone. But I don't hear any rumor on such device and I am not sure if Nokia will make any announcement about such device before Feb 2013. Although once WP8 becomes Active Nokia will release more and more high end devices. But your dream device will cannabailize the sales of their own Lumia 920

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss