Why do I have very bad feeing about the whole Nokia situation?

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Although once WP8 becomes Active Nokia will release more and more high end devices. But your dream device will cannabailize the sales of their own Lumia 920
Which is why an announcement on such device would not be before March/April next year, maybe MWC 2013 at the earliest. As said, at that time I can always choose to go with the 920 anyway, so the 820 would be a good start for now. Nokia has been clear that the 820/920 are not all there is to come either up or down.

Last edited:

anon(5335899)

Jan 28, 2012
Visit site
Here is a good article on the possible sale of the real estate.

Quote from above article;
“As we said during Q2 results, Nokia is re-evaluating all non-core operations, including its real estate. However, we do not have any plans to move our headquarters,” a spokesperson said in an email (emphasis Nokia’s). “As with most companies whose core business is not in owning real estate, it makes common business sense not to tie assets in real estate property but rather invest and focus in its core operations.

“Divesting real estate is an entirely different thing compared to the location of the headquarters. As we have said many times before, we have no plans to move our headquarters.”

He points out that selling and re-leasing property is “not unusual” in Finland, with Kone doing the same in Keilaniemi in 2007. Similarly, UPM sold their headquarters in 2006 and Stora Enso did the same in 2008.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
Nokia has a lot of operating cash. They're fine for at least the next few years.

Things LOOK bad because they are in a transition. They're not only changing their mobile OS, but they're changing their entire structure and focus as a company.

Nokia used to go a ton of different things. They are streamlining now and focusing on just a few businesses now, like mobile phones and location services. So they're cutting out a lot of divisions they no longer need, and they're writing them all off as losses tight away instead of spacing those losses out on paper over a few years.

Also, devices like the 920 are nice, but that isn't where their main growth will come from. It WI be from worldwide sales of the 520,620,720,etc...

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
I will buy the 920 when it comes out, but here are my 2 cents:

Remember how excited you were the day Nokia announced the 920/820?! Imagine you could have bought the phone 3 days after that compared to your excitement now while awaiting.

Apple has the marketing aspect of things nailed down, they announce a phone, and tell you when you can pre-order it and when it will launch and to which carriers. Nice and simple. People get very excited (over tin maybe too) and rush into stores to pre-order/buy.

Nokia on the other hand is not on top of things pertaining to announcing pricing and carrier availability which is eating away from that excitement. One proof to this is some people starting to shift towards the 8X for example which was announced to be coming to AT&T in November.

dogfish54

Jan 31, 2012
Visit site
'But all the negative news/rumors make me wonder if I should jump onto a sinking ship, maybe I should get a 8x instead?'

Just because a company is around to support a device doesn't mean they will. I think you'll still get support from Nokia even in 'death'. Just look at Symbian, they have released multiple updates to multiple devices since their announcement with MS.

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
I expect Nokia to bring a device to the top end which will use all of the WP8 hardware options to the max. That would include a 20Mpix PureView camera, quadcore CPU, more memory and RAM and possibly a 5inch screen.

For now the 820 will suite me just fine and I can always jump to the 920 if I'm wrong later.

All this could have been done already if they also used android which gives some legitimacy to the opinion that they should have gone with both platforms, which I now believe would have been best for the company. And it may not have rocketed them to the top overnight but I think we can agree that they would compete very well with a Pureview device running with high specs and would have got them some sales to bolster their bottom line and put them in a better financial position than they are in today with WP still not guaranteed to take off.

The_Vermonster

Jan 10, 2012
Visit site
'But all the negative news/rumors make me wonder if I should jump onto a sinking ship, maybe I should get a 8x instead?'

Just because a company is around to support a device doesn't mean they will. I think you'll still get support from Nokia even in 'death'. Just look at Symbian, they have released multiple updates to multiple devices since their announcement with MS.

Good point. Maybe we should ask Titan users how well HTC supported them.

In the end Nokia is no different from any other company. Apple is really the only company that continually announces a product, then lets you buy it at the end of the week. Nokia is doing their own thing, and they're doing it better than anyone here could. We only get to know what they want us to know. Let's give them a bit more credit.

Besides if Nokia does go under a year from now, does that change how awesome the 920 is now?

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site

Remember how excited you were the day Nokia announced the 920/820?! Imagine you could have bought the phone 3 days after that compared to your excitement now while awaiting.

Apple has the marketing aspect of things nailed down, they announce a phone, and tell you when you can pre-order it and when it will launch and to which carriers. Nice and simple. People get very excited (over tin maybe too) and rush into stores to pre-order/buy.

Nokia on the other hand is not on top of things pertaining to announcing pricing and carrier availability which is eating away from that excitement. One proof to this is some people starting to shift towards the 8X for example which was announced to be coming to AT&T in November.

The OS was not ready, hardly their fault. And Samsung also has no availability or pricing even though they announced their device first so are they also not on top of things? Not forgetting also that European carriers have started announcing availability so in reality Nokia is probably still on track and just announcing deals when they are ready.

SnailUK

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site

Let me counter that.

Microsoft has always had the delivery of WP8 set for late oct/early nov.

So, imagine Microsoft had just announced the death of WP7 in July, and said absolutely nothing about WP8.

Imagine 2 weeks time, would be the first time we heard any of the features of WP8, or devices, or prices or availability. We have an Apple-esque huge WP8 reveal, after 6 months of abstract silence.

How many people would have migrated to iOS or Android in that time? 6 months of absolutely nothing.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
Guys, the OS being announced and revealed is one thing and devices being announced and revealed and a time given as to when they can be bought is another thing.

I understand Microsoft is the late runner here, but as far as a process is concerned, announcing a phone (given its OS is ready) and delivering pricing and availability right away DEFINITELY creates a huge momentum and this results in high sales number (a la Apple method.)

We all knew that WP8 will be out late October early November since their Sneek Peek event. Better planning should have been done between MS and its OEMs in order to announce devices along with pricing and dates.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site

I agree with this, but we don't know that the delay is down to nokia and not Microsoft??

Having said that, it would have been nice if nokia had said this is the phone, you can pre-order it on 21/10 and it will be delivered 02/11 - cuts out all the speculation, everyone knows where they stand...

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
it's also because we like the underdog especially if the underdog used to be good and loyal to you. A market with Nokia is way better than a market with only Samsung and Apple

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 2

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
True, but that money is not enough to save Nokia from the mess. Lumia 800/900 will be a much bigger success if they are on Android as well. Look at how much GS II and GS III are sold by Samsung.
Microsoft gave/giving a huge chunk of money AND also pay Nokia for other features to be included into WP's OS. also look at android market... no one is really making money besides samsung.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
True, but that money is not enough to save Nokia from the mess. Lumia 800/900 will be a much bigger success if they are on Android as well. Look at how much GS II and GS III are sold by Samsung.

OK and now go look at how many units the other Android OEMs are selling. Samsung is the only one making any kind of REAL money off of the little green robot. HTC, Sony Mobile, LG, are all circling the drain.

Reflexx

Dec 30, 2010
Visit site
People act like Nokia is broke.

They're not broke by a long shot. They have a lot of operating liquid cash.

Their stock is low. And people seem to think that means they're struggling to stay afloat.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
that's because those players don't have impressive devices. I think with 800/900, story will be different.

diaspar

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
People act like Nokia is broke.

They're not broke by a long shot. They have a lot of operating liquid cash.

Their stock is low. And people seem to think that means they're struggling to stay afloat.

A company looking for selling their HQ building doesn't look like they have a load of cash to me.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
A company looking for selling their HQ building doesn't look like they have a load of cash to me.

You still don't understand that renting your HQ is standard for most companies in big parts of the world? And it is not uncommon for the older companies that already own their real estate to sell it and rent it back instead.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb