Things don't quite add up about the exclusivity...

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty upset that the 920 is listed as being exclusive to AT&T, mainly because I live in a rural area where the CDMA network is FAR superior to what AT&T has available, and probably will be for some time.

However...looking at some clues from all these announcements, a few things stood out to me.

one, there was no mention in the AT&T announcement about a grey 920, even though several photos have emerged here lately showing that one is at least out there in the works. it is not mentioned, and it is not shown on the 920 web page.

going back to the report that came out that showed a "Lumia 822" in Verizon's system, it showed it being available in gray and white. now, while the 820 IS available in gray, white is not a color that is shown on the product page. there IS a white 920, however.

so...i have no idea what any of this means...just putting it out there to say that i don't think we've seen all there is to see from Nokia, especially in regards to who is getting what phone...and i fully expect that there is going to be some variant of the 920 AND the 820 that shows up for Verizon at some point, hopefully before the end of the year.

if so, i'll be jumping ship from my regional carrier (Appalachian Wireless) and joining the ranks of Verizon, as the reps from my carrier have said they have NO interest in carrying windows phones.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I am pretty upset that the 920 is listed as being exclusive to AT&T, mainly because I live in a rural area where the CDMA network is FAR superior to what AT&T has available, and probably will be for some time.

However...looking at some clues from all these announcements, a few things stood out to me.

one, there was no mention in the AT&T announcement about a grey 920, even though several photos have emerged here lately showing that one is at least out there in the works. it is not mentioned, and it is not shown on the 920 web page.

going back to the report that came out that showed a "Lumia 822" in Verizon's system, it showed it being available in gray and white. now, while the 820 IS available in gray, white is not a color that is shown on the product page. there IS a white 920, however.

so...i have no idea what any of this means...just putting it out there to say that i don't think we've seen all there is to see from Nokia, especially in regards to who is getting what phone...and i fully expect that there is going to be some variant of the 920 AND the 820 that shows up for Verizon at some point, hopefully before the end of the year.

if so, i'll be jumping ship from my regional carrier (Appalachian Wireless) and joining the ranks of Verizon, as the reps from my carrier have said they have NO interest in carrying windows phones.

Maybe the painted all of the grey ones blue!

ALpHa.Q.RoUgH

Jan 21, 2012
Visit site
Timed exclusive. You will eventually get the phone, just don't expect it first day with everybody else if your on any carrier besides AT&T in the US.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Timed exclusive. You will eventually get the phone, just don't expect it first day with everybody else if your on any carrier besides AT&T in the US.

i do hope this is the case. i really favor the 920 over the HTC phones, although they look pretty slick, themselves.

Steakman33

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Here's my prediction: Verizon and T-Mobil will both get the "822", while Verizon will get the "922". Based on the comments made by AT&T about holiday sales, “Exclusive to our customers and featuring unique innovations…the Lumia 920 will be one of the hottest phones for the holidays”, Im guessing They will have a 60-90 day exclusive term...

I said this before and I'll say it again, Nokia and Verizon are part of the same wireless charging consortium. What reason would Verizon have to be a part of that if they weren't interested in being apart of the "next big thing", with Nokia being the front runner in it right now...

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
I'm inclined to agree that Verizon will likely get a variant or something, but it still seems odd that they would go exclusive for 60-90 days right at the holiday season unless AT&T gave them a TON of money to do so. We'll see by the end of the month if Verizon announces anything.

stmav

Retired Moderator
Sep 18, 2012
Visit site
A response from Nokia on their facebook page on comments after the att announcement

Nokia US Hi everyone and thanks for being so active on our page! North America is a key market for Nokia and we’re really excited by AT&T’s announcement. Right now we’re not talking about other possible announcements by other carriers. When we have new info to share, our fans here on Facebook will be among the first to know

Vallos

Mar 15, 2011
Visit site
A response from Nokia on their facebook page on comments after the att announcement

Nokia US Hi everyone and thanks for being so active on our page! North America is a key market for Nokia and we?re really excited by AT&T?s announcement. Right now we?re not talking about other possible announcements by other carriers. When we have new info to share, our fans here on Facebook will be among the first to know
"Possible announcements by other carriers." Sound very much like it will happen, but down the road.

davec53

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
yep...that posting on their Facebook page seems like a company trying to ease consumer fears over the phone being exclusive to AT&T...they probably are not happy that they cannot announce any plans for other carriers, due to the backlash it is causing...but i would not be surprised if some strategic leaks don't start showing up over the next week or so pointing towards phones that may be headed to Verizon.

fwaits

Mar 9, 2008
Visit site
Yeah a tweet by Joe Belfiore earlier as well:

joebelfiore ‏@joebelfiore

Folks asking about other carriers-- I can't say. It's their news to disclose, not MS. We just rebroadcast when they announce.

Jaybotics

Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
Everyone should email Stephen Elop himself, I received a response from him earlier today expressing my disappointment with the news.

stephen.elop@nokia.com

his response:

"Thanks for the note.

We are pleased with the focus that we will receive from AT&T. As they did with the 900, we will see a tremendous amount of advertising and in-store support for the sales of our devices.

Regards,

Stephen"

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb