Looks like Black is the only colour for Rogers

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
That's bull****. Under no circumstance does it make sense for bands to be unavailable on the device in Canada. I want to be able to unlock it and travel.

And why the **** wouldn't they at least get red? It's not like Rogers' color isn't red.

Winterfang

Apr 20, 2011
Visit site
aren't you tired of black slobs of a Phone? Don't be a sheep get some color in your life with the new Lumia 920. Unless you happen to live in Canada, in this case sucks to be you.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
I think the bands are still there, but they probably don't want people unlocking the phone and using it on another carrier. I bet it has to do with Rogers' exclusivity deal.

Other posters have pointed out that the Nokia global site is listing other bands not mentioned on the North American sites.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/upcoming-rumored-devices/198451.htm

I have a feeling it will be a similar situation to when the 710 came out on Rogers. It initially did not list some of the bands, but when unlocked people got the phone to work with other carriers.

unity04

Jan 9, 2011
Visit site
The Canadian NOKIA Lumia 920 site doesn't mention anything about wireless charging under Wireless, and also doesn't have the S4 Processor section.... is the Canadian version stripped down? :/

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
It does mention wireless charging on the overview page, but the processor isn't listed. I think they just left it off their page because they wouldn't make a separate version just for the Canadian market.

ThreeLeggedRace

Aug 1, 2012
Visit site
In any case this is fairly depressing news all round. Even if they will be releasing other colour options in a few months what's the point, especially if the HTC offerings make their way up here in all their glory. I still really want the Lumia 920, red or yellow would be nice, and unfortunately I'm stuck using Bell, not just on contract but because of better coverage in my location.

It looks like I may have to ship it from elsewhere. Does anyone have any links they would like to provide for buying a phone outright that will work on Bell Mobility's bands?

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I doubt they changed manufacturing lines just to make a Canadian specific version. It is not economical for them to change hardware specs for different countries. The added cost of having separate lines doesn't make sense. It just simply isn't listed. I used my Rogers L900 on Vodafone in Italy with no problems back in May.

I dunno...the situation in Canada makes no sense. Why is it that no company has come forward to sell unsubsidized, unbranded phones in this damn country?? Is there some sort of CRTC red tape that prevents it? Anyone here have any insight on why this might be?

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
Very disappointed that the Lumia 920 is exclusive to Rogers again. And even more disappointing is that it's annouced to be available only in black. I have never been more let down about a release for a phone. Nokia's has been hyping up this phone since it was announced all over the internet and media, showing off it's unique selection of beautiful colours and features all over Nokia Canada's Facebook page only to release it in the most conservative colour. Rogers or Nokia might want to know that a poll was done here and out 8,789 votes (so far) the #1 voted colour choice was cyan at 26% of votes followed by black at 18% and yellow at 17%.

I was waiting to buy this phone. I was even considering switching to Rogers from Telus just to be able to use tethering and MMS finally (because Nokia refuses to release the network setup app in Canada) and then hearing that black is the only option is a big let down. Almost as much as restricting this phone to one carrier.

So my choices are pray AT&T allow unlocking of their branded L920 (which I doubt), find another version that has compatible bands and more colour choices or buy the Ativ S or 8X. Neither of which I really care to buy as much as the 920.

Very disappointed with today's announcements.

Xsever

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
This color restriction BS is getting on my nerves. I do not know who's responsibility it is, Nokia or Rogers, but the variety of bold colors is one of the main signatures for the Lumia line.

Offer the phone in all colors for every carrier so people have a broader choice and happy. Restricting colors does absolutely nothing positive but ruins the Lumia's lively trait! I don't get companies sometimes at all!

NOKIA makes fun of Apple for only offering only black and white phones, and then only offers black with Rogers. I will be buying my 920 unlocked from overseas I guess.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
This color restriction BS is getting on my nerves. I do not know who's responsibility it is, Nokia or Rogers, but the variety of bold colors is one of the main signatures for the Lumia line.

Offer the phone in all colors for every carrier so people have a broader choice and happy. Restricting colors does absolutely nothing positive but ruins the Lumia's lively trait! I don't get companies sometimes at all!

NOKIA makes fun of Apple for only offering only black and white phones, and then only offers black with Rogers. I will be buying my 920 unlocked from overseas I guess.

I have a feeling the colour decision is actually from Rogers. I've been trying to find a way to formally complain to them by email but sadly you're forced to call into customer care, then escalate to a manager, the "office of the president". This likely will get us no where.

Rogers should have at least offered one more colour choice or have the option to order another colour online only.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The choice to stock a particular colour is most likely on Rogers and not Nokia. Nokia would supply whatever colours that Rogers would order from them.

I dunno...the situation in Canada makes no sense. Why is it that no company has come forward to sell unsubsidized, unbranded phones in this damn country?? Is there some sort of CRTC red tape that prevents it? Anyone here have any insight on why this might be?

I think it's just a symptom of the Canadian wireless industry. The big 3 have been selling phones under 2 and 3 year contracts for so long that many average consumers would be unwilling to buy unsubsidized phones thinking that they would be too expensive.

There is a Microsoft store opening in Toronto sometime in the future so I'm hoping they will sell unlocked phones.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
The choice to stock a particular colour is most likely on Rogers and not Nokia. Nokia would supply whatever colours that Rogers would order from them.

I think it's just a symptom of the Canadian wireless industry. The big 3 have been selling phones under 2 and 3 year contracts for so long that many average consumers would be unwilling to buy unsubsidized phones thinking that they would be too expensive.

There is a Microsoft store opening in Toronto sometime in the future so I'm hoping they will sell unlocked phones.
I really do hope that the TO Microsoft store sells unlocked phones. I know that store is going to be in the Eaton center, any idea of when it opens? If it's before the 920 release, I'll be there to buy one.

squire777

Feb 21, 2012
Visit site
The Microsoft store will actually be in Yorkdale Mall, not The Eaton Centre. I haven't been that way in a while so I'm not sure what the progress is, but last I heard November 16 will be the opening date.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I really do hope that the TO Microsoft store sells unlocked phones. I know that store is going to be in the Eaton center, any idea of when it opens? If it's before the 920 release, I'll be there to buy one.

I've heard 2 stores in TO will be opening. One in Eaton Centre and one in Yorkdale. And to my knowledge they are targetting getting these open in time for the Surface release. However I'd be shocked if they sold the 920 unlocked in various colours. Of course I would love to see this but can't see it happening.

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site
Black will be the only colour in Canada according to Nokia's specs at:
Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - Canada

Also, a lot of features are not mentioned and bands are lacking compared to the US specs:
Nokia Lumia 920 Specifications - Nokia - USA

I was really hoping they'd offer Cyan at launch. The 900 launched in Black, but they did eventually offer Cyan months later, so maybe they will with the 920 3-4 months months later.

Yeah I live in Montreal and it was absolutely ridiculous to have to wait literally MONTHS just to have the cyan Lumia 900. I hope this time Rogers will stop playing and get at least the RED, CYAN and BLACK Lumia 920.

phatboy66

May 25, 2012
Visit site

Yup same thing for me. No way I'm giving my money to Rogers again and get lock with a 3 yr contract

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786