Looks like Black is the only colour for Rogers

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
stop and think for a moment every now and then and things tend to be a bit more clear.

1 - New device launching world wide sooo so supply will probably hard to meet demand.
2 - black (like it or not) is the most common bought device.

- lumia 900 was exactly the same situations on rogers.. and I know 100% because I worked for rogers during that time.

tomatoes11

Sep 21, 2012
Visit site
Will an unlocked AT&T phone work on Rogers?

I am reasonable close to the border and would be willing to drive.

Moreover if the Microsoft store has them I will just get a friend to pick one up and mail it. Anything to give Rogers less money after this very poor decision.

Not a surprise at all, though :(

As long as the 3g/4G bands are the same and the Rogers APN works on it. Why would you though? Black without the ugly AT&T logo >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Any colour with the AT&T logo.

thedumbkid

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
stop and think for a moment every now and then and things tend to be a bit more clear.

1 - New device launching world wide sooo so supply will probably hard to meet demand.
2 - black (like it or not) is the most common bought device.

- lumia 900 was exactly the same situations on rogers.. and I know 100% because I worked for rogers during that time.
In my opinion Rogers have no valid reason not to offer colour. If online sites like negri electronics can offer the phone in colour, there's no reason Rogers cannot. Rogers is a much bigger company and has leverage when negotiating with Nokia. This is absolutely a decision on Rogers part to limit customers' choice or that they don't care about WP.

My problem is that there is absolutely no option, not even a limited online-only, or limited quantities at select stores, or announcement that it'll be available. It's that there is absolutely none.

Black will be the most commonly bought device as long as it is the only option being sold.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Yeah, I doubt they changed manufacturing lines just to make a Canadian specific version. It is not economical for them to change hardware specs for different countries. The added cost of having separate lines doesn't make sense. It just simply isn't listed. I used my Rogers L900 on Vodafone in Italy with no problems back in May.

I dunno...the situation in Canada makes no sense. Why is it that no company has come forward to sell unsubsidized, unbranded phones in this damn country?? Is there some sort of CRTC red tape that prevents it? Anyone here have any insight on why this might be?

Bell, which is one of the big 3 carriers, runs the CRTC.

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
Will an unlocked AT&T phone work on Rogers?

I am reasonable close to the border and would be willing to drive.

Moreover if the Microsoft store has them I will just get a friend to pick one up and mail it. Anything to give Rogers less money after this very poor decision.

Not a surprise at all, though :(

ATT has the right bands, even for LTE, but many people bought the 900 off-contract with the intent to unlock but couldn't get the codes. ATT wouldn't release them and sites like cellunlocker.net couldn't get them. Even those who managed to get the phone unlocked couldn't get many features to work due to no network setup app in the Canadian marketplace. Your best bet is to buy direct from Nokia. That's what I plan to do. If you want to take the ATT gamble, at least download the network setup app on the store's WiFi with a prepaid SIM, while still on the US side of the border.

ImmortalWarrior

Apr 30, 2011
Visit site
ATT has the right bands, even for LTE, but many people bought the 900 off-contract with the intent to unlock but couldn't get the codes. ATT wouldn't release them and sites like cellunlocker.net couldn't get them. Even those who managed to get the phone unlocked couldn't get many features to work due to no network setup app in the Canadian marketplace. Your best bet is to buy direct from Nokia. That's what I plan to do. If you want to take the ATT gamble, at least download the network setup app on the store's WiFi with a prepaid SIM, while still on the US side of the border.

I wonder if you can order an unlocked device from them in Canada? I'd be willing to wait for it in the mail.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
In my opinion Rogers have no valid reason not to offer colour. If online sites like negri electronics can offer the phone in colour, there's no reason Rogers cannot. Rogers is a much bigger company and has leverage when negotiating with Nokia. This is absolutely a decision on Rogers part to limit customers' choice or that they don't care about WP.

My problem is that there is absolutely no option, not even a limited online-only, or limited quantities at select stores, or announcement that it'll be available. It's that there is absolutely none.

Black will be the most commonly bought device as long as it is the only option being sold.

so if Nokia can't produce enough colored device in such a short period of time it rogers fault? (and trust me I am not defending rogers... I hate Rogers.)

Maybe delay the release of the 920 until they build up a huge stock.

thedumbkid

Nov 14, 2009
Visit site
so if Nokia can't produce enough colored device in such a short period of time it rogers fault? (and trust me I am not defending rogers... I hate Rogers.)

Maybe delay the release of the 920 until they build up a huge stock.
No worries, I'm just saying that I don't think Rogers has any reason to stand on. At this point I'm just ranting :p

Personally I don't think that short supply is a valid excuse for Rogers to make. The Buying unlocked Lumia 920 in US thread already mentioned several online shops that will sell this phone in colour. Rogers can throw some weight around to get the stock instead of these smaller shops getting them. Also, there is such thing called "sold out". They can offer colours and if demand exceeds supply, things become sold out. Then that's a very clear indication to them to get Nokia to ramp up production of colour units.

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site

Agreed. The color options are considered by Nokia and others to be one of their major selling points for the Lumia line. You can almost consider it a feature and a major one at that. It's also what's attracted most people to these phones.

What if Apple promoted their iPhone 5's 4" screen as one of their selling points then a specific carrier decided to remove that screen and put on a 3.5" one?

gfunk84

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
For anyone saying the lack of colour choice is due to supply constraints, there's no excuse for Rogers not confirming that they will get more colours in a few weeks or months.

The release of the cyan 900 without any prior announcement was BS as many who would have preferred that colour had already settled for the black version because there was absolutely no indication that cyan would ever arrive.

eortizr

Jun 7, 2012
Visit site
So, since the Rogers version does comes unbranded (no carrier logo), it will be possible to buy it unlocked and use it on AT&T and have all the AT&T features?

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99