AT&T grandfathered Unlimited Data Plan

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
I know nobody can probably answer this with 100% certainty but I'm hoping someone could ease my worries.

I bought an iPhone in 2007 and upgraded to a 3GS 2 years later so I have the "unlimited" data plan with AT&T. I got sick of the iPhone last year and bought a Samsung Infuse on Craigslist and popped out my sim from the 3GS and put it in the infuse with no problems. I do get an occasional text from AT&T saying I need an eligible 4g plan but it's worked fine for almost a year now.

My question is, will I be able to "officially" switch to the Lumia 920 and keep my unlimited data? I'm really hoping it will be the same as if I purchased an iPhone 5 (5gb of LTE and then throttled), I don't see why it shouldn't.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!

pandalove1027

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Has your contract ended? If not, then you should be still grandfathered in unless they change the rules. I remember a friend let her contract lapse and she was month-to-month then when she went to buy a new phone at the 2-yr contract price she no longer could keep unlimited data. But don't quote me on this :)

Guitarpik

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Hoping you're wrong cuz my contract was up over a year ago. I thought it has to be up to get the full upgrade price. Guessing there's probably at least a 2 week window though.

Really hope that doesn't cause me to lose the data since I've been paying my bill every month anyway.

pandalove1027

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Hoping you're wrong cuz my contract was up over a year ago. I thought it has to be up to get the full upgrade price. Guessing there's probably at least a 2 week window though.

Really hope that doesn't cause me to lose the data since I've been paying my bill every month anyway.
Usually you can upgrade after 18 months. Just depends. Give ATT a call, they'll be able to tell you definitively.

rdubmu

May 25, 2011
Visit site
If you upgrade with Amazon or Best Buy or any other 3rd party retailer you will lose your grandfather status. If you upgrade with At&t you should be good. They will upgrade you to the 4g unlimited.

firewall2302

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I can say unless things have changed since a year ago that rdubmu is correct.

I upgraded last year from my iPhone 4 (which itself was upgraded from an iPhone 3G w/unlimited data) and I've kept the same data plan the entire time and didn't have to add anything on to it for 4G LTE unlimited.

Now, I did it directly through AT&T so I would go that route rather than any 3rd party retailer.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I had been out of contract for 11 months in April 2012 when I upgraded to the L900, and I was able to keep the unlimited data plan. I went to a corporate AT&T store, not another retailer.

Shawnanigans

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I'm in national retail and sell cell phones. YES you can keep your unlimited data. You can do it at an AT&T store, Walmart, Bestbuy, or AT&T online. Do not do amazon online without calling it in. They have special lockin requirements and you most likely lose it and won't be able to get it back. Just be firm and make sure they just change the socket code for Internet, NOT the rate plan. Doesn't matter if you haven't renewed in a while. I'm in same boat. Have an iPhone 4, could've renewed and got 4s when it came out. Waiting for 920 to drop!

captainkirkw

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
I went through Best Buy when I upgraded to the iPhone 4 and asked to keep my unlimited data without any problems. I did call AT&T before that to let them know that I was upgrading soon and wanted to keep it and Best Buy confirmed that. So it is probably best to call AT&T first to confirm as they will note that in your records.

pjs37

Apr 24, 2012
Visit site
When I got my Lumia 900 I was able to keep my unlimited plan. I don't see any change in that policy in the near future anyways but who knows Verizon was pretty aggressive in killing theirs off.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
When I got my Lumia 900 I was able to keep my unlimited plan. I don't see any change in that policy in the near future anyways but who knows Verizon was pretty aggressive in killing theirs off.

AT&T allowed folks who had the grandfathered unlimited data plans keep those plans when they got new subsidized iPhone 5.

kahibbi

Jun 30, 2011
Visit site
I've upgraded a couple of times after my contract lapsed and continued to get 'grand-fathered' unlimited data each time. I did it at an AT&T store.

But know that you will NOT be able to use your phone for 'internet sharing' on that unlimited plan. You have to switch to a 5GB plan to use your phone as a hot spot.

FuzzyHat

Oct 1, 2012
Visit site
I know nobody can probably answer this with 100% certainty but I'm hoping someone could ease my worries.

I bought an iPhone in 2007 and upgraded to a 3GS 2 years later so I have the "unlimited" data plan with AT&T. I got sick of the iPhone last year and bought a Samsung Infuse on Craigslist and popped out my sim from the 3GS and put it in the infuse with no problems. I do get an occasional text from AT&T saying I need an eligible 4g plan but it's worked fine for almost a year now.

My question is, will I be able to "officially" switch to the Lumia 920 and keep my unlimited data? I'm really hoping it will be the same as if I purchased an iPhone 5 (5gb of LTE and then throttled), I don't see why it shouldn't.

Does anyone have an idea?

Thanks!
I actually stopped by a store today to ask the same thing and play with the Lumia 900 to get a feel for Windows Phone. I have been an iPhone user from the 3G. They said unlimited LTE and throttled after 5GB.

So good news for us!

jfa1

Dec 15, 2007
Visit site
I kept my truly unlimited data plan when I got my L 900. I dont use more than 2.5 gb so I dont know about throttling.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss