LTE roaming with at&t 920

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I was looking a couple things up and I was disappointed to find out the while the international version of the 920 supports 9 bands of LTE, the at&t version only supports 5. None of the supported bands on the at&t version are compatible with the existing and forthcoming UK networks (800/1800). I'm curious if this makes any difference to other potential 920 buyers. I would totally fork over the money for the intl version, but I'm hesitant of the reliability it would have working on at&t LTE. Has anyone had any experience with using an unlocked LTE device on at&t?

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I was looking a couple things up and I was disappointed to find out the while the international version of the 920 supports 9 bands of LTE, the at&t version only supports 5. None of the supported bands on the at&t version are compatible with the existing and forthcoming UK networks (800/1800). I'm curious if this makes any difference to other potential 920 buyers. I would totally fork over the money for the intl version, but I'm hesitant of the reliability it would have working on at&t LTE. Has anyone had any experience with using an unlocked LTE device on at&t?

I use unbranded/unlocked 3G phones on AT&T and they work fine.

I wouldn't worry about the LTE bands at this point because you have 3G bands as a backup if LTE isn't available

Chicago at Jacksonville 3:05PM - Go Bears!

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I use unbranded/unlocked 3G phones on AT&T and they work fine.

I wouldn't worry about the LTE bands at this point because you have 3G bands as a backup if LTE isn't available

Chicago at Jacksonville 3:05PM - Go Bears!

I guess you're right @palandri, you got your eye on a new phone?

Also GO BEARS!

Sent from my Radar 4G using Board Express

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I guess you're right @palandri, you got your eye on a new phone?

Also GO BEARS!

I like the 920, but I'll wait to see how it is when it hits the market.

I am currently using my Nokia N8 as my personal phone and my HTC 7 Trophy as my work phone. I have a Samsung Galaxy S2 that I am holding on to, just so I can see what Jelly Bean is like. The longer I hold on to it, the more price drops. I will ultimately put it on eBay and use that money towards my new primary phone.

My wife has a Nokia 808 and the camera is unbelievable, that's what has me leaning towards the 920.

Go Bears

Xtian.Castro

Nov 22, 2011
Visit site
I love my 900, but thing that's closing the deal for me is the super sensitive screen in the 920. I am fantasizing about smugly using my phone with gloves on this winter while the rest of the city is suffering with near-frostbitten fingers just to check their Facebook feed. Muahaha

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site
Me too. Just like the OP. I'm currently on ATT with a Samsung Focus (awesome phone), and my contract is up in late February so i'll be holding out until then (Plenty of reviews to read etc). I'm very much interested in buying my next phone - naturally a windows phone 8 device - unlocked. My current career path will have me traveling quite a bit in the future, so i am looking at the international version.

I just hope that we can get a serious answer to whether the international version will work without issue on ATT's 4G-LTE network here stateside. I wonder if the whole issue with the bands is a software restriction on the radios, or if it's actually lacking those bands entirely. :dry Point is, Nokia and this game that US carriers play is screwing us over.

txaggies07

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
Me too. Just like the OP. I'm currently on ATT with a Samsung Focus (awesome phone), and my contract is up in late February so i'll be holding out until then (Plenty of reviews to read etc). I'm very much interested in buying my next phone - naturally a windows phone 8 device - unlocked. My current career path will have me traveling quite a bit in the future, so i am looking at the international version.

I just hope that we can get a serious answer to whether the international version will work without issue on ATT's 4G-LTE network here stateside. I wonder if the whole issue with the bands is a software restriction on the radios, or if it's actually lacking those bands entirely. :dry Point is, Nokia and this game that US carriers play is screwing us over.

I travel internationally a lot and always turn data off. The last thing I want is lte overseas. The charges for international roaming are like $20 per megabyte.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I travel internationally a lot and always turn data off. The last thing I want is lte overseas. The charges for international roaming are like $20 per megabyte.

They have International data packages you can buy through AT&T.

I always pickup a local SIM card when I go overseas, and get a small voice and data package. This Spring the wife and I were in France for two weeks and got unlimited monthly data for 9 euros.

WPenvy

Jun 5, 2012
Visit site

I don't think you understand what the other member was getting at. Smh. The point of having an INTERNATIONAL UNLOCKED device, is so that wherever you travel you can simply pop in a local SIM card and not get charges up the wall from your home carrier.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
I don't think you understand what the other member was getting at. Smh. The point of having an INTERNATIONAL UNLOCKED device, is so that wherever you travel you can simply pop in a local SIM card and not get charges up the wall from your home carrier.

Correct. It saves you a lot of money.

Plus, something else I do is I have email notification of voicemail (It's like $3.99 from AT&T). So when I am overseas and someone leaves me a voicemail on my AT&T number, I get immediate email notification of the voicemail. It works real well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb