To those worried about 32GB of storage

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Obviously in Skydrive you can pay $50 for 100GB for the year, but I always use "File Factory".. its a free program with tons of options for mobile phones.

It shrinks down the file and the quality remains the same.

At least I haven't noticed a difference.

Just a tip.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I've had my N8 since the first day it was commercially available, 2 years and 10 days of every day use, it came with 16gb memory, I still have 9gb left. Never deleted any pictures or videos I've taken or anything infact.

Yeah.. not worried with 32gb and Skydrive :D

vizagdude

Dec 29, 2009
Visit site
Any one who has used a Windows Phone before will not be complaining about the 32 GB storage. For heavens sake, it twice the current storage. Also, with the Sky Drive option and Zune sync.. how much storage would one need.

I always have over 300 songs, at least 4 to 6 videos (movies, tv episodes) averaging 0.75GB each and still have a lot of space left. This is the max I need between Zune pass, Netflix with LTE speeds.

pvcleave

Dec 17, 2011
Visit site
I always have over 300 songs, at least 4 to 6 videos (movies, tv episodes) averaging 0.75GB each and still have a lot of space left. This is the max I need between Zune pass, Netflix with LTE speeds.

I currently have 24GB on my Samsung Focus. I have one with an SD card in it. My computer I have over 350GBs of music. Granted I have started ripping my music in lossless WMAs because my car plays that format. I do reduce the quality for my 120GB Zune and phone. I do not like listening to the same music over and over, I like choice and do not get rid of any of my CDs. I have about 25 years worth and do have a Zune pass. I would like to not need to carry the Zune anymore and use my phone as a music player.

I currently have 45GB on SkyDrive and am willing to get more. However, with data caps and restrictions on using 3G/LTE on planes it is sometimes hard to use the cloud. I use the cloud to backup photos and sync documents between my computer, phone and wife's phone and it works great.

It will be interesting to see how WP8 does with streaming media from Skydrive.

Yakkaimono

Sep 19, 2012
Visit site
I personally don't get why someone needs that much space. 32GB is more than i actually need but there should be an option for those who want it even if it's a small percentage of the general customers. Options are always good.

And can we stop with the cloud thing already? It's only helpful if one has unlimited data plans at a reasonable price and with a decent download speed for media streaming. Here in germany that means at least 10-15? additionally to the normal plan per month and that's not even hsdpa+ or lte. And after a certain amount of data like 500mb or 1gb your speed gets limited to gprs.
I can't imagine that germany is the only country with something like that.
So in the end a sd card or paying 50? more for a 64gb version would still be a much much cheaper option.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
Obviously in Skydrive you can pay $50 for 100GB for the year, but I always use "File Factory".. its a free program with tons of options for mobile phones.

It shrinks down the file and the quality remains the same.

At least I haven't noticed a difference.

Just a tip.

Do they have an app for windows phone?

jhoff80

Apr 27, 2003
Visit site
Audible takes about 1GB per book. Maps take 2GB for the US. An HD video generally takes around 2GB per hour. HD games are also much larger because they need higher resolution textures. It's not all about music.

smoledman

Banned
Apr 17, 2012
Visit site
Audible takes about 1GB per book. Maps take 2GB for the US. An HD video generally takes around 2GB per hour. HD games are also much larger because they need higher resolution textures. It's not all about music.

Exactly, which is why Apple sells huge amounts of 64GB iPhones.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
You'd be surprised how fast pics, videos and apps can fill up your memory. With Nokia touting Pureview there's going to be tons of people using their Lumias instead of a point and shoot to take pics and videos more than ever. There's a reason why 64GB exists on the iphone, because people can and will use that much space.

I usually go months at a time before I connect my phone to Zune so I keep about 150 songs, majority of my pics and vids, and a few apps for myself and some for my kids. I had to delete apps and some vids while vacationing in Cali last month to make space.

Currently using Focus+ 8gb microsd. I wish I could find a 16-32gb card that was reliable then I wouldn't have this issue :\

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
You'd be surprised how fast pics, videos and apps can fill up your memory. With Nokia touting Pureview there's going to be tons of people using their Lumias instead of a point and shoot to take pics and videos more than ever. There's a reason why 64GB exists on the iphone, because people can and will use that much space.

I usually go months at a time before I connect my phone to Zune so I keep about 150 songs, majority of my pics and vids, and a few apps for myself and some for my kids. I had to delete apps and some vids while vacationing in Cali last month to make space.

Currently using Focus+ 8gb microsd. I wish I could find a 16-32gb card that was reliable then I wouldn't have this issue :\

50GB SkyDrive is $25/year. That's far cheaper then paying $399 for 64GB iPhone 5 and all your stuff is in the cloud shareable among your devices.

RumpRoast

Jun 21, 2011
Visit site
I still have 19GB left on the Skydrive but being capped at 2GB a month wouldn't it eat data uploading and downloading from Skydrive? I already get throttled a few days before the end of the billing cycle for the past 3-4months, and that's from using wifi at home whenever possible.

KingCrimson

Jul 11, 2011
Visit site
I still have 19GB left on the Skydrive but being capped at 2GB a month wouldn't it eat data uploading and downloading from Skydrive? I already get throttled a few days before the end of the billing cycle for the past 3-4months, and that's from using wifi at home whenever possible.

You're doing it wrong!

Xplode22

May 10, 2011
Visit site
You're doing it wrong!

So how should he be doing it? I am also concerned with trying to stream all my music from SkyDrive (or where ever) once I lose my unlimited data. How is one supposed to not worry about either data caps or local storage amounts if they want to listen to lots of different music?

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I will say that it's a bit surprising that Nokia is not offering 64GB model. I mean they offered N9 with 64GB since it's launch in early 2011, and that phone has the exact same shell as Lumia 800.

That said i'm personally more than fine with 32GB. I'm not a gamer and pretty much never take videos with my phone.
Music is what uses most of my space on phone but after putting that 13GB of music there's still plenty of space for my use.

I keep my books, PDF files, music, some videos, some games on

And can we stop with the cloud thing already? It's only helpful if one has unlimited data plans at a reasonable price and with a decent download speed for media streaming. Here in germany that means at least 10-15€ additionally to the normal plan per month and that's not even hsdpa+ or lte. And after a certain amount of data like 500mb or 1gb your speed gets limited to gprs.

... wow is it that bad in Germany? I always thought your mid Europeans where also covered from silly contracts.
Here in Sweden or Finland data caps don't exists, the whole concept hasn't never been there. You only pay for the speed. I'm paying ~11 euros a month for 21 Mb.
With Lumia 920 i'm ending my LTE dongle and updating my phone contract to LTE.

That said i agree that cloud isn't really the solution for those who want more space. Especially recently skydrive has become what i have wanted cloud services always to be, it should only be cooler when i get my Windows 8 pro tablet and Lumia 920. That said i consider it more of a sync, PDF, picture etc type of thing rather than saving my 13GB of music or one 1GB video.

Last edited:

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I had 24 GB of storage on my Focus, which to be was nearly infinite. I could store as much as I wanted on my phone. Then the microSD card recently tanked on me. I am close enough to seeing the end of the line for this phone that I didn't bother trying to find another card. I am running the phone with the 8 GB of onboard storage. I definitely feel the sting of that amount of storage. I don't think I'll have a problem with 32 gb of storage on a WP8 device.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs