Anyone know when T-Mobiles reframing will be complete?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
Where are you going to in the states?

I'll be in the Minnesota area, got a lass there I want to visit. This is a girlfriend to be, who unfortunately is a mega Sony fan, has a PSP, wants PS Vita, will probably want PS3 too, so we can consider her lost to Android if she ever gets a smartphone. As for me, I help pay the wages of Microsoft employees :D Although wouldn't mind also visiting some of the Six Flags parks. And Florida is where my grandparents go, so would probably be based there then just adventure out to those other places.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Well, now the question is.. do I switch to ATT?

Not like the 810 isn't a great phone. I just want a high end device with all the perks. Never had one.

If you've never had a high end device with all the perks, it's about time you get one! :D

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
Well, now the question is.. do I switch to ATT?

Not like the 810 isn't a great phone. I just want a high end device with all the perks. Never had one.

I guess it depends on what your priorities are. If you have the money to spend and don't mind possibly having subpar service (depending on where you are, of course) because you're that set on getting the 920, then go for it. Or you can wait it out a bit and see if something might change soon. In any case, you definitely have some thinking to do.

I do understand your feeling of wanting a high end device, though. That's exactly why I got an iPhone 4. I really would love a 920 as well, but I don't want to deal with EDGE speeds again whenever I'm out of the house and away from Wi-Fi.

yodies

Mar 4, 2011
Visit site
I asked on the TMo article linked in this thread, but didn't really get a response. After some research I only have more questions. If/when I buy the 920, I plan on sticking with TMobile. ATT is way too expensive for what they provide.

1. The article says current 1700MHz HSPA+ won't be supported. Does that mean I get normal 3G, or ONLY EDGE speed?

2. Has the Denver area of CO been refarmed yet?

3. Is it fair to assume that the total refarming will be complete by 1Q 2013 as previously promised by TMo?

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I asked on the TMo article linked in this thread, but didn't really get a response. After some research I only have more questions. If/when I buy the 920, I plan on sticking with TMobile. ATT is way too expensive for what they provide.

1. The article says current 1700MHz HSPA+ won't be supported. Does that mean I get normal 3G, or ONLY EDGE speed?

3. Is it fair to assume that the total refarming will be complete by 1Q 2013 as previously promised by TMo?

You need all bands supported for a particular generation to work. As we're missing one of the T-Mo 3G bands, 3G won't work full stop unless on the reframed part of their spectrum. So yes unless reframed you're looking at EDGE only. As for 2 & 3, that I will leave to someone better advised.

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site

3. They promised by end of year. Now I read only in major city. Then I read in mid 2013.

MAERSK

Mar 18, 2012
Visit site
In case you guys don't know about this update-able map

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

If there's a place on there not already marked, mark it on the map!

Although the AT&T version of the 920 doesn't support 1700 and will only work on EDGE, I'm still gonna buy the 920 (hoping the international version will have pentaband support). I live near Los Angeles so I hope they'll expand on that refarming. T-mo's $30 montly 4G plan is pretty unbeatable in my opinion.

Ploogle

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
You need all bands supported for a particular generation to work. As we're missing one of the T-Mo 3G bands, 3G won't work full stop unless on the reframed part of their spectrum. So yes unless reframed you're looking at EDGE only. As for 2 & 3, that I will leave to someone better advised.

I was under the impression that the 1700 AWS band was the “4G” HSPA+ the article mentioned. I was hoping to get the unlocked Lumia 920 on the StraightTalk plan that uses AT&T/T-Mobile towers. Are you saying that the Lumia 920 will only get EDGE on that?

Last edited:

Daniel Ratcliffe

Dec 5, 2011
Visit site
I was under the impression that the 1700 AWS band was the ?4G? HSPA+ the article mentioned. I was hoping to get the unlocked Lumia 920 on the StraightTalk plan that uses AT&T/T-Mobile towers. Are you saying that the Lumia 920 will only get EDGE on that?

The advantage is, is that under Straight Talk, you will defect to reframed T-Mo towers and AT&T towers ONLY, such that you can still get your HSDPA/3G. Of course, if there's none of them around, only a non-reframed T-Mo tower, then you're stuck with EDGE. If you use T-Mo directly, as I plan to, you will have to hope the towers in range are reframed.

HeyCori

Mod Emeritus
Mar 1, 2011
Visit site
In case you guys don't know about this update-able map

Sightings of T-Mobile 3G/4G/HSPA+ coverage on 1900MHz (PCS/UMTS band II)

If there's a place on there not already marked, mark it on the map!

Although the AT&T version of the 920 doesn't support 1700 and will only work on EDGE, I'm still gonna buy the 920 (hoping the international version will have pentaband support). I live near Los Angeles so I hope they'll expand on that refarming. T-mo's $30 montly 4G plan is pretty unbeatable in my opinion.

Thanks for the link. I didn't realize how far behind T-Mobile was in re-farming those towers.

Ploogle

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
The advantage is, is that under Straight Talk, you will defect to reframed T-Mo towers and AT&T towers ONLY, such that you can still get your HSDPA/3G. Of course, if there's none of them around, only a non-reframed T-Mo tower, then you're stuck with EDGE. If you use T-Mo directly, as I plan to, you will have to hope the towers in range are reframed.

I'm currently on AT&T right now, actually! Just to clarify:
  • I would be able to use 3G on AT&T/T-Mobile
  • I would not be able to use 4G on T-Mobile
But would I be able to use 4G on AT&T? Sorry, I'm totally ignorant about this stuff.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99