Does anyone ever go over 3gigs of data?

jkrc717

Aug 14, 2012
Visit site
Thinking about switching to ATT for the Lumia 920.

450min, roll over, 3GB data, unlimited texts and unlimited mobile to mobile calling = out to be $89 a month. Plus tax should be just under $100 bucks a month.

I want to keep it at about $100 a month, but worried 3GB's isn't enough.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Personally. I have 450 min, 1000 texts, and 300mb of data for ~$76 a month, and I have never gone over any of those. Then again I have wifi at work.

lifeinhisway83

May 14, 2012
Visit site
It really depends on what you do. I have that exact same plan and the closest I've come is just over 2 gb's the first month on att (because of downloading apps/Google music). After that, I've been around 1 - 1.5 gb's a month. If that's all you are planning on doing, you should be fine.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
Just for the record, with my current mobile browsing habits with the phone switching to wifi in pretty much all "known locations", my average traffic on 3G is 1,5gb a month or so.

That said, I have unlimited amount of traffic, but the speed is capped to 0,5mbit (we dont really have much connections with limited traffic around here), so I dont really care much to fe. watch videos and I just dont care to stream music either, I just listen to what I've transferred to my phone. So perhaps if I had a data plan with unlimited speed and limited traffic, i might have more traffic used due to watching more videos for example.

I could still squeeze that much lower, I dont use the wifi at university due to not bothering to log in when 3G works fine there. I also travel in a train a total of 3h every weekday and the train has wifi, but it's 3G based connection too and my carrier has better coverage in the area the train goes than the one the train company actually uses, but I could probably squeeze off at least that 500mb (maybe even 1gb..) more by using wifi always when possible.

But anyways, thought it might count for something, so average 1,5gb a month for me.

Scout_313

May 26, 2011
Visit site
I've used Android LTE devices on Verizon and while I used them every day for web browsing, e-mail, app downloads, etc, I never used it for streaming video or music. That said, I believe my highest amount of data used was around 1.5 GB. I know others will chime in and say that they use a heck of a lot more on a regular basis.

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
Holy moly! you have some expensive data in the States. Here it's unlimited. I've got 100 min, 25 sms (use whatsapp a lot) and a 2Mbit/s connection that goes down to 1Mbit/s once I've reached 1GB of data, still the data is unlimited, the speed just goes down to 1Mbit/s. It's 11,90?/month and I can quit any time I like. :)

P.S I buy all my phones unlocked from retailers, I'll never let a carrier get a choke-hold on me.:cool:

andrelamont

Jul 27, 2012
Visit site
I rarely do, I have been averaging around 350MB for about 3+ years now.

Of course it does help to have a secondary iPod for listening to music ( and watching Simpson episodes ) ( doubt if I could get a signal anyway at my location) This is why for my use case an SD card is useful as I want to ditch the dual device approach.

At the end of the month, I try to go nuts with the use it or lose policy and just stream Netflix anywhere and anytime during my off work hours.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Holy moly! you have some expensive data in the States. Here it's unlimited. I've got 100 min, 25 sms (use whatsapp a lot) and a 2Mbit/s connection that goes down to 1Mbit/s once I've reached 1GB of data, still the data is unlimited, the speed just goes down to 1Mbit/s. It's 11,90€/month and I can quit any time I like. :)

P.S I buy all my phones unlocked from retailers, I'll never let a carrier get a choke-hold on me.:cool:

This is what people in the states need to see. We are being taken to the cleaners by wireless carriers.

I may use up to 750MB in a month.

Last edited:

WasteSomeTime

Sep 16, 2012
Visit site
People in the states do see it and its bs. Except when I hit 2 GB it drops to edge. I don't know what is but on WP edge doesn't let me use the internet period. And that data sharing garbage that's rolling out is also bs. Companies here just like to be cheap.

Sent from my SGH-i677 using Board Express

addman

Sep 8, 2012
Visit site
This what people in the states need to see. We are being taken to the cleaners by wireless carriers.

I may use up to 750MB in a month.

Yes, I'm not trying to bash or anything but the way -it seems to me- the carriers are working in the states does not seem to be the free market style to do things. More like an oligopoly it seems. Here the carrier competition is ferocious, which makes the consumer the big winner. It seems weird since you guys seem to have very well developed telecom infrastructure and all. Still, I guess you guys get "rewarded" for staying with a carrier and you get new phones to switch your old ones with....? lol! I'm not sure I really know these things for a fact or not.:blush:

Oh! and you get all the cool stuff first and some stuff that never even shows up here so I guess that compensates things a bit.

nrprad

Oct 4, 2011
Visit site
I average 9-10 GBs per month, but that is because I stream Netflix and YouTube and music to my phone all the time. Also, its partially because after using Verizon's 4G LTE 20 Mbps speeds I can't stand going back to the 3-5Mbps of all the wireless networks around here. All on an Android, but only till I can get my HTC 8X. :) I expect it will remain the same.

*Still use my Trophy for music, but I stream through the Droid.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
Yes, I'm not trying to bash or anything but the way -it seems to me- the carriers are working in the states does not seem to be the free market style to do things. More like an oligopoly it seems. Here the carrier competition is ferocious, which makes the consumer the big winner. It seems weird since you guys seem to have very well developed telecom infrastructure and all. Still, I guess you guys get "rewarded" for staying with a carrier and you get new phones to switch your old ones with....? lol! I'm not sure I really know these things for a fact or not.:blush:

Oh! and you get all the cool stuff first and some stuff that never even shows up here so I guess that compensates things a bit.

You're right. The carriers in the U.S. are not competing, rather they are playing follow the leader and it works like this: If they can get $70, I should be able to get $80. If they can get $80, I should be able to get $90. If they can get $90, I should be able to get $100.

I go to France and I see what they pay for internet, TV, Telephone and a mobile phone in a package. We pay over twice that here for all those services: Orange Open, internet-TV-t?l?phone + mobile par Orange

Corepc

Mar 11, 2012
Visit site
Only way I could use 3gig of data is if I downloaded podcast,games,video over cellular instead of wifi..

Else Cellular Only less than 250mb a month..

Net10 BYOD - $50 a month, 2gig data 3g speeds, Unlimited Voice & Text..

MVNO Prices and plans sometimes are better than what the Carriers offer themselves..

I could not get the same plan through at&t without paying over 90 a month..

socialcarpet

Banned
Apr 4, 2012
Visit site
I've never gone over 3 GB and I actually stream Netflix movies and TV shows over LTE at least 3-4 times a month. I don't stream a ton of music though.

Personally I think it's enough for 90% of the people out there. Worst case scenario if you go over, you pay an extra $10 for another 1GB. That isn't going to break the bank. If it is, then you probably don't want a smartphone on contract with a major provider and should go with a $50/mo no contract phone or something..

Lundon44

Sep 6, 2012
Visit site
I'm on Telus in Toronto and have a $65/mon plan which includes 6Gb data/mon. I use about 3Gb give or take a month on average. I'm even on wi-fi half the time too. I stream a lot of video and surf the net quite a bit.

sconrad308

Feb 22, 2012
Visit site
Only way I could use 3gig of data is if I downloaded podcast,games,video over cellular instead of wifi..

Else Cellular Only less than 250mb a month..

Net10 BYOD - $50 a month, 2gig data 3g speeds, Unlimited Voice & Text..

MVNO Prices and plans sometimes are better than what the Carriers offer themselves..

I could not get the same plan through at&t without paying over 90 a month..

I'm on Straight Talk unlimited everything for $45/month. I figured out last night switching to AT&T and the price of the service for 2 years was way more than I will pay with 24 months of Straight Talk + buying the device outright at $600. Hopefully I can get a new W8 phone for that. But even up to about $1000 I will still end up cheaper in the long run. Yes, the cost is high initially, but long term, it is the best deal around.

eric12341

Dec 1, 2009
Visit site
Pushing 7GB right now with 6 days left on my billing cycle, I stream Zune all the time and watch videos. Back before I got WiFi back on in my house my sis would tether off me plus with Xbox tethering I was going over 10GB every month and getting throttled but now T-mobile has a truly unlimited plan so I don't have to worry about anything like that anymore.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
janecruise