Does anyone ever go over 3gigs of data?

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I consider myself a heavy user and I never came near my 6gb plan... highest I got was 2gb's and that was also doing a lot of tethering.

I had to take a supervisor call for a customer who was mad at his bill... dude downloaded the 3 lord of the ring movies and another 10 movies via tething lol

DavidinCT

Feb 18, 2011
Visit site
I sit about 750mb a month but, if I decide to stream a lot or use tethering, I have used 6-7gb in a month. Some months 4gb, others 650mb, it's just the way it works. That is why I fight if they try to break my Unlimited data, It's not that I will use it all the time but, when I do, they can't charge me overages....

We'll see how it goes when Verizon gets the phone I want...the 920...

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
I have never hit my 2 gb cap, and I do a fair amount of streaming of zune pass, podcasts and a ton of browsing.

My average is 1.5 gb or so.

devize

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
Clearly from the above it depends on how you use it. If you're constantly streaming videos/radio etc. constantly then you'll probably get to the 3GB. Otherwise I find it very hard to get near that. I use 300-400mb a month out of my 1.5GB and I'm constantly on the internet. The only time I've come close is when I went on holiday and tethered my phone to my laptop.

And geez do US have expensive plans. I thought Australia was bad.

jimski

Dec 11, 2010
Visit site
As long as you have WiFi somewhere (home or office) to offset your usage, 3GB should be fine. Before I turned WiFi on 24/7 I was just around 2GB/m, and that was with good amount of use (but not streaming Netflix). With WiFi always on, more like 325GB/m. This is on my unlimited AT&T plan. WiFi uses less juice than LTE so I use it whenever I can.

Sent from my Lumia 900 using Board Express Pro

freestaterocker

Nov 19, 2011
Visit site
I only have internet on my phone. I download music on Zune and do lots of YouTube and a few podcasts as well as general surfing and some VOIP, and my worst month was 2.5gb. I'm sitting at about 1.5 this month with 5 days left. Never got near my 5gb cap.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I've never used more than 3GB, despite heavy use of Twitter, YouTube, and streaming audio. I also use Netflix, but I usually only watch around 2 hr/week.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I use 3-5 GB/Month. My biggest concern now is im switching carrier and I can choose to pay the equivalent of 70 usd for 3G speeds of up to 30 Mbit (with possible LTE later on) with unlimited data or 80 usd for LTE speeds of up to 80 Mbit but only 10 GB of data both plans got close to unlimited minutes and texts/MMS. I really think you gotta plan for using more data if you got LTE speeds than you would otherwise.

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I think you got to plan for using more data with LTE than on 3G though.

I am now deciding if I wanna pay around 70 for unlimited data but only up to 30 Mbit speeds via 3G or pay around 80 for 10 GB data via LTE with up to 80 Mbit speeds. Both plans got close to unlimited minutes, texts/mms.

I usually don't go over 5 GB with my 3G today, but with LTE, who knows?

Wpmeistef

Oct 12, 2012
Visit site
I use arround 10 gb,and would never get by on 3.

Must agree those US prices are scary....
I pay arround 55$ a month. That is unlimited talk and sms. 15 gb of data with 3 extra sims for other devices.

Coreldan

Oct 2, 2012
Visit site
I think you got to plan for using more data with LTE than on 3G though.

I am now deciding if I wanna pay around 70 for unlimited data but only up to 30 Mbit speeds via 3G or pay around 80 for 10 GB data via LTE with up to 80 Mbit speeds. Both plans got close to unlimited minutes, texts/mms.

I usually don't go over 5 GB with my 3G today, but with LTE, who knows?

I dont even think if cellular provides around here will offer data speeds that would even cap 3Gs maximum not to mention that the cases when you can take use of LTE-level speeds on a mobile phone sound extremely rare to me and I can only come up with streaming very very high quality video or just downloading bigger files.

I guess the HD video is a viable argument, personally I cant be bothered watching from a mobile phone though, but meh..?

EDIT: Nevermind, I mixed up "MB" and "Mb" as units :p

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site
I dont even think if cellular provides around here will offer data speeds that would even cap 3Gs maximum not to mention that the cases when you can take use of LTE-level speeds on a mobile phone sound extremely rare to me and I can only come up with streaming very very high quality video or just downloading bigger files.

I guess the HD video is a viable argument, personally I cant be bothered watching from a mobile phone though, but meh..?

Yeah, I am talking Mbit, so 30 Mbit is around 3.75 megabytes per second and 80 Mbit around 10 megabytes per second

Davidkoh

Oct 3, 2012
Visit site

Yeah, in Sweden some carriers are pretty nice. Too bad the carrier over here that offers the unlimited data plan is keeping its LTE network for mobile broadband customers only.

And yeah, I was talking Mbit, so 30 Mbit is transfering around 3.75 megabytes per second and 80 Mbit about 10 megabytes per second.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb