From Galaxy Nexus to Lumia 920, **** of an upgrade?

cckgz4

Aug 30, 2011
Visit site
Does it really? From what I read, WP7 is a long way from becoming a mature OS and things aren't going to change much with WP8. Even something as simple as notification is a problem for WP.

One selling point of WP being the OS is smooth as butter but most apps are laggy and due to the restrictions from the OS they don't have as much features as the same app on other platforms. So what is the point?

I'm not a WP user and I have to admit what I know about WP is from reading on the net. So am I wrong with the above? Have I fallen into the propaganda trap of the anti-WPs? I'm desperate to get 920. It's an excellent phone but for all its features the OS it's using looks to be its downfall.

Currently I'm a symbian user (N8). I'm worried I will struggle to make the transition from symbian to WP and that I will miss a lot of simple things I'm able to do with symbian. Will that be the case?
Yes for the most part, you are wrong

Gken

Sep 17, 2011
Visit site
Does it really? From what I read, WP7 is a long way from becoming a mature OS and things aren't going to change much with WP8. Even something as simple as notification is a problem for WP.

One selling point of WP being the OS is smooth as butter but most apps are laggy and due to the restrictions from the OS they don't have as much features as the same app on other platforms. So what is the point?

I'm not a WP user and I have to admit what I know about WP is from reading on the net. So am I wrong with the above? Have I fallen into the propaganda trap of the anti-WPs? I'm desperate to get 920. It's an excellent phone but for all its features the OS it's using looks to be its downfall.

Currently I'm a symbian user (N8). I'm worried I will struggle to make the transition from symbian to WP and that I will miss a lot of simple things I'm able to do with symbian. Will that be the case?
I'd like to consider myself knowledgeable and there is a lot of "misconceptions" about the Windows Phone. I have used android and iOS extensively and will always use WP over those two after I picked it up at launch. For what I use it for, which is most likely a lot more than other people use it for, I have never ever had trouble with it crashing constantly. Most of the issues I have had with the Windows Phone are being addressed in W8 so I am super happy.

luckyhillkop

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
Yes for the most part, you are wrong
Well I was hoping so.

I'd like to consider myself knowledgeable and there is a lot of "misconceptions" about the Windows Phone. I have used android and iOS extensively and will always use WP over those two after I picked it up at launch. For what I use it for, which is most likely a lot more than other people use it for, I have never ever had trouble with it crashing constantly. Most of the issues I have had with the Windows Phone are being addressed in W8 so I am super happy.
I hope they are. I've come across a few "XX reasons why you shouldn't get a WP" and I hope the reasons will be struck off one by one with WP8. Wifi goes to sleep on lock screen for example, that's just so silly.

I guess no other way for me to go except to wait patiently for the full hands on. The wait is killing me.

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
Yeah well sorry I'm not......... going to be though IF Nokia releases the 920 on Verizon.

so you posted that link without knowing if its true? well, it's ok... internet stuff are often misleading anyways, but it would be nice if you also post a link that has positive things to say

you know, one positive plus one negative makes you neutral, specifically going out to looks for negative reviews just make a dark picture on life and makes ppl depressed ;)

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
so you posted that link without knowing if its true? well, it's ok... internet stuff are often misleading anyways, but it would be nice if you also post a link that has positive things to say

you know, one positive plus one negative makes you neutral, specifically going out to looks for negative reviews just make a dark picture on life and makes ppl depressed ;)
What isn't true in the post though? Just curious...

Nataku4ca

Jun 7, 2011
Visit site
What isn't true in the post though? Just curious...

i wasn't saying that the article wasn't true (since i didn't read it)

it just sounded like you weren't sure if that site was correct on all points, i just had a quick read, but it quickly occurs to me that they are making some thing sound worse then it is and from reading it seems to be pointed more towards the symbian crowd (since alot of the feature are really on symbian and meego, not iOS or android)

a few things i can point out though
27. Cannot silence ringtone or alarm by flipping the phone.
----> this one is an OEM thing, Nokia phones can do this now (i think all models, at least my 800 can)

33. Lockscreen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
----> (EDITED: just realized i read it wrong please see why i don't want this function section)

34. No way to close an app except pressing back button all the way to the first screen.
----> technically you can keep opening apps until it hits the limit and just drops off the list, not ideal but it's why tomb stoning apps is so great, speaking of which, i believe WP's multitasking is pretty much the same as iOS

36. Cannot create and save playlists on the phone.
----> you can, it's just not very easy right now, it looks like WP8 fixes this (i tried this by playing a song, then goto the ones you want to add then long press on those to click on add to now playing, once done just go to history and click on the one that has a timer, then in the menu there is a save as playlist) so you can do it, its just alittle confusing at first (hope WP8 fix this for the better)

42. Online and phone contacts are mixed together with no ability to filter.
----> ya there is... just go into setting and click filter...

45. Call history only show phone number type. If a contact has multiple phone nos. for a type the number used is unknown.
----> this one im alittle confused, but if i understand it correctly you can just click on the name of the person to go to their profile if you want to dial by a different number... or did he mean something else?

46. Cannot recognize phone numbers in sms or email to save or use as calling number.
----> you can for sms, not sure about email, for sms just go into the message then click the number again to save it [EDIT: ok i think i read this wrong too, im not sure if you can so just ignore my comments on this one]

47. Text messages can only be deleted one by one or the whole thread.
----> arg? all message are threaded... just long press the thread to delete it, not sure what he was doing wrong...

53. If both wi-fi and data connection are available which one it chooses to use is unpredictable. User experiences don’t agree with Microsoft that it “typically” choose wi-fi over 3G.
----> this one i hope someone can chime in... because i don't have data, but this sounds more like a rumor? i could be wrong...

64. No equalizer for Zune music player.
----> some phones have this, like htc

68. Volume up/down buttons cannot be used to zoom in camera (sign of an immature os)
----> im only pasting this one because of that bracketed sentence, its a stupid comment...

72. No native Google maps and Bing maps is useless for most countries outside U.S.
----> there is Nokia Drive now, and lets face it this is an on-going upgrade, Bing is using Nokia stuff now and all future update(phone?) will have Nokia Drive with it

79. Can only enter one mobile phone no. for each contact. Mobile nos. entered in other fields will not accept sms.
----> you can technically still do it, just add a new user then link them together, i've never had to add two mobile numbers so i guess this is overlooked

83. Oversized fonts for headings waste screen space and result in low information density
----> another stupid comment, this is by design, its called Metro, other apps don't have to use large font if they don't want to (i just hate these kind of comments, it's entirely personal preference)

85. Phone can be rebooted without entering security code.
----> so? you still can't get in with out the password...

92. Call history does not group calls by contact.
----> just going to say how to do it so i don't become snarky... click on the guy's name and swipe left...

93. Call history does not show the time of call for calls older than current day.
----> it does show the time of the call, and older calls just refer to my answer on 92 [EDIT: ok fine, it shows the "date" not the time, guess some ppl are really specific...]

100. Cannot change alarm ring tone or use a MP3 file.
----> you can, heck i have it right now (well ill give him points for MP3 file comment, but just set it as ringtone then you can use it)

104. Zune can only be installed if you have an internet connection
----> huh?

105. Alarm does not revert to speaker if headphones are plugged in.
----> this is personal preference, but isn't it worse if it does come out of the speaker when ur headphone is plugged in...?

108. All photos automatically upload to Skydrive have resolution reduced (no option) and lose their EXIF information
----> don't know about resolution part (last i heard someone you can, but i can't confirm) but there is an option for keeping location data on uploads (at least im seeing that option in my phone)

110. Internet Explorer has no Forward/Backward button for page views.
----> no forward, yes, but the back button is the backward button...

------->Thing I Know is Fixed in WP8<------- (how do you change font color on the forums?)
4. No micro-SD card support.
5. Only support up to 16GB storage .
9. Limited to 800x480 resolution.
13. No VPN support for this “corporate enterprise” phone.
16. System font size cannot be changed.
25. No support for full on-device encryption required for secure applications like mobile banking and online payment.
28. Very limited customization option. (if this is even a problem...)
35. Tiny fonts in messages is very hard to read for those over 45.
36. Cannot create and save playlists on the phone. (they said they are fixing it, i just don't know how yet...)
37. Playlist can only be edited when you are playing it. (they said they are fixing it,i just don't know how yet...)
39. Cannot close music player, can only pause. Music player on lockscreen will stay until you reboot. Be careful not to touch it in a meeting.
48. Cannot select multiple pictures for deleting, sending or uploading. They must be done one at a time.
61. No screenshots or app to do it.
86. No bluetooth file transfer. (iirc)
98. Cannot backup sms to PC. (iirc)
110. Internet Explorer has no Forward/Backward button for page views. (i think you can put forward button on screen now, though i prefer tab button)

All things said, the things i didn't list are just stuff im not sure about and didn't want to misinform people, do confirm the ones i did say though, my memory isn't all that great sometimes

now some things i would actually hate to have on the phone that he apparently wants
^^^^^^^^^^^
20. Alarm clock cannot work when phone is turned off. All Nokia Symbian and Meego phones can do this.
---> if i turn it off i want it to go away... not ring and annoy me...
21. The idle screen is completely blank and cannot display time or notifications.
---> not neccessary bad, but it seems like its wasting battery however little it may be
33. Lockscreen need to be activated to show missed call/sms notification.
---> same reason as 21, i actually prefer htc's method (LED)
57. No flashplayer support.
---> like flash is dead... and it kills battery, i might want it for desktop (or tablet for that matter) but it isn't that important on a phone, and MS isn't the only one that made the choice to get rid of it
63. Totally locked down os means apps which interact directly with hardware not allowed. This excludes a whole range of useful apps
---> side loading apps can be good, MS embraced it for awhile, but this is also how malware pops in... besides as a noob developer, id hate to see xap getting ripped off for other devs that put hardwork into it (mine aren't all that great so i don't really care)
99. Cannot save contact to SIM card.
---> let me explain this, i know it may be useful for some, but for me it's annoying in that when ppl such as my parent/inlaw decide to save contacts to sim, there are far less options u can save to the profile, then they look all confused and say why so few options(btw that was back in android days) it create more support nightmare for me... if i remember correctly, sim cards won't take pictures as well...
105. Alarm does not revert to speaker if headphones are plugged in.
---> this would annoy me if im on public transit

Last edited:

aventador779

Sep 9, 2012
Visit site
Well. Hes I think you should get a 920. Becuase you get so much from the 920 then you have on your gnex.
Wireless charging
Sensitive screen
Pureview camera
Puremotion HD+ display
Better resolution
Good exclusive apps.
Better battery life
Can use in direct sunlight
NFC
And more.
you get tones of stuff. On a nokia lumia
Btw the Galaxy Nexus does have NFC...

dannejanne

Jan 27, 2012
Visit site

This is what disturbed me from my time with WP. The OS itself is uber smooth. Some apps though are laggy/stuttery as ****. Worse than on Android. If a WP app ain't propper coded it will stutter and believe me many apps do. Not very many apps are as smooth as the OS itself unfortunately. Apps generally have much less options/features than the Android counterparts also.

And if a notification center is important for you WP might not be a good choice.

I have gone through a few phones now last year to see what suits me best. In my personal opinion Android is powerful and open but boring and you're never pleased with it. WP just works but missing some key apps for me so far and it is so locked down you can't change a thing which is the exact opposite of Android. A bit too locked down and I got bored of it eventually. MeeGo is what I'm running now (Nokia N9) and while it is a "dead" system it's the phone that is the most fun to use. I always come back to it after trying another OS. It's in between WP and Android when it comes to "openess" which suits me perfect.

Last edited:

sherwin892

Jun 11, 2011
Visit site
User of both. And could careless about the OS for both as both Android (on Jelly Bean) and WP7.5 fulfill all my needs and have been pleasant to use overall. While Android does slow down when you download or update tons of your apps, it rarely force closes or crashes at least in my own experience. Downloading or updating takes a few min or happen every now and then so it doesn't' hold much weight in terms of knocking it down.

I am due for an upgrade and as a current user of the Galaxy Nexus am conflicted as to whether I'll be upgrading to the new Nexus or Lumia 920. New Nexus points to LG 4, with so so specs according to leaked documents and rumors so right now the Lumia 920 is looking really attractive.

The Nokia apps, colors, form factor and camera has me ready for this phone. I could go either way.

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
MeeGo is what I'm running now (Nokia N9) and while it is a "dead" system it's the phone that is the most fun to use. I always come back to it after trying another OS. It's in between WP and Android when it comes to "openess" which suits me perfect.

*high five*

MeeGo/Harmattan on N9 to this day is the best combination of simple and open UI i have experienced on any phone.

I have felt a bit claustrophobic at times using my Lumia 800 but really loved the smoothness and the UI. I think with the kernel change Windows Phone 8 for me seems to be finally getting there where i want it to be. Also i used to be all about smartphones, but these days it's tool to connect most of all rather than full media platform. I'm more centered towards tablet these days for my media consumption.

I also really need hardware update so it's Lumia 920 for me the day it's available.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss