UK preorders

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
When I spoke to them yesterday the sales guy said that the yellow would be sold sim free and unlocked, the red would be sold sim free, but locked to t-mobile/EE/Orange..

Either way, that is no good for me as I want black or grey if cyan is not available so Im trying to wait until next week to see if availability gets any better as there is nothing around at the moment.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
From Handtech

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 UK Release Update

1 Nov

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 UK Release Update:

Nokia UK SIM Free stock will not be available for now.

Nokia have decided to give the Nokia Lumia 920 exclusivity to a network.

The the Nokia Lumia 820 will be available on a network and available to certain B2B channels only.

However these decisions can change and we will be looking at other channels will update as soon as we get further info.

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I went into Gloucester Phones4u on Tuesday. They seemed certain they were going to be selling the 920 sim free unlocked. Had the sim free price on display.

No dates. I'm hoping they will have them in tomorrow. They usually know a day in advance what stock they are getting. If anyone could check today?

Camden P4U told me they would sell them sim-free but it was all blank stares and shrugged shoulders about WHEN they would have stock - one guy was particularly patronising with "it's not out yet. duh". I'm tempted to call another store and see what they say.

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is that with the exclusivity deal, in the UK we are stuffed and that will not change before Xmas, so we will have to wait for sources from abroad before we can buy SIM free...

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
I think the issue is that with the exclusivity deal, in the UK we are stuffed and that will not change before Xmas, so we will have to wait for sources from abroad before we can buy SIM free...

As much as I want a Lumia, it's really tough to consider putting off a purchase til the new year - I want a phone to tether my Surface to as soon as possible, ARGH! The size of the dummy Lumia 920 looks perfect too :confused:

rOIVAz

Jan 17, 2012
Visit site
Hey peeps. First post here, just registered.

Just read an article on Neowin regarding all this exclusivity with the Lumia 920 and the SIM free handset. Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed.

Neowin - Where unprofessional journalism looks better - Neowin

Totally sucks :( I can't justify moving to EE for less than unlimited data, on top of buying out my current one with 3UK. All the reviews for the 8X so far seem to favour the Lumia....ATIV S anyone?

Last edited:

TrentTech

May 15, 2011
Visit site
Phones4U twitter support have been telling me that only the White 4G Lumia 920 will be locked to EE, while the Black, Red and Yellow will support T-Mobile and Orange sims on 3G tariffs.

They also told me that they should start to have stock in on Monday, though I assume that will vary from store to store.

I am inclined to believe them over any of the news sites as they're actually selling the devices.

Then again, CNET did update their article about the EE exclusivity with this:
EE has confirmed the Lumia 920 will also be available on Orange and T-Mobile (which, rather confusingly, are part of EE), which means you'll probably be able to get hold of the Lumia 920 without paying the high prices that 4G demands. Vodafone, O2 and Three customers are still out of luck for now though.

anon(5354452)

Nov 1, 2012
Visit site
I am inclined to believe them over any of the news sites as they're actually selling the devices.
The article on Neowin was written with information from Nokia and EE. Pretty definitive for me.
Neowin said:
Rather than keep playing Chinese whispers, we've gone straight to the source, contacting both Nokia and EE directly to get some definitive details on these issues, to answer some of the most important questions for those hoping to get their hands on the new device.

BellaRed

Sep 15, 2012
Visit site
From Handtech

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 UK Release Update

1 Nov

Nokia Lumia 920 and 820 UK Release Update:

Nokia UK SIM Free stock will not be available for now.

Nokia have decided to give the Nokia Lumia 920 exclusivity to a network.

The the Nokia Lumia 820 will be available on a network and available to certain B2B channels only.

However these decisions can change and we will be looking at other channels will update as soon as we get further info.

So the 820 is an exclusive too?

It is on o2's coming soon page but no mention of an O2 exlclusivity deal.

So much differing information..argh!

BTW here is a good 820 deal by CPW at Selfridges - Selfridges launches exclusive Nokia Lumia package and Christmas window | Selfridges.com

But is it only available to those who #switch networks?

Bourbs

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
So whats the possibility of getting the lumia 920 unlocked to work on O2/three etc. is there a general method to get it unlocked or would one have to purchase the phone then contact ee/tmob/orange to get it unlocked at a fee?

edit: could someone already on orange/ee/tmob contact them and say I want it unlocked?

mmacleodbrown

Sep 7, 2012
Visit site
At the moment it is hard to tell, in the UK, then the answer is probably yes. The 920 isn't really available yet, but as it comes online in various markets, Im guessing that we will be able to import them before the end of the year...

Muessig

Moderator Team Leader
Sep 30, 2012
Visit site
According to the Neowin article mentioned above, Amazon should be stocking the new WP8 handsets at some point. I asked the customer support live chat people if they knew when but they're clueless at this point.

It seems we either have to settle for an 820, be bound to a locked phone until January or try to find a sneaky way to get an unlocked phone.

Well played, EE.

Edit: Rereading that article I can't find the bit where it mentions Amazon. Wishful thinking, eh?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo