AT&T page updated

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
This is what concerns me about the Lumia 920 launch. For Nokia to have gone exclusive again is one thing, but for the success of both this phone and WP8 I really hope At&T is gonna market the **** out of this device and their entire WP8/Windows 8 range. Carrier support is going to biggest factor in whether or not WP8 makes it. Definitely going to be paying attention to this over the next few months.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
It's downright ridiculous that the 920 was announced a month and a half ago and will not have pricing/release or even be available before a product that is announced today (iPads/all other products announced today except the iMac).

Ebaneeezor

Jun 14, 2012
Visit site
It's downright ridiculous that the 920 was announced a month and a half ago and will not have pricing/release or even be available before a product that is announced today (iPads/all other products announced today except the iMac).

Ya, I agree.. I have heard nothing on the Note II, yet there it is, on the press page as pre-order starts 10/25/12 and a delivery date as well...boooo Nokia, but yes, I am still getting a Cyan one......

PappesHartley

Sep 20, 2012
Visit site
The way it's been handled has been awful to be honest. I've never given WP much thought until the 920 but now I want something from one of the three parties to explain the BB issue.
Still getting the cyan 920 though

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
I agree. At this point, might as well just call it a ghost phone. Don't announce a phone and make people wait so long just to get a confirmed release/pre-order date. MS just has a terrible track record for phone releases. I want WP8 to succeed. But they need to get their calendar cleaned up pronto.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I agree. At this point, might as well just call it a ghost phone. Don't announce a phone and make people wait so long just to get a confirmed release/pre-order date. MS just has a terrible track record for phone releases. I want WP8 to succeed. But they need to get their calendar cleaned up pronto.

Is anyone thinking about how carrierers launch these things? Apple is the only dominant figure that can dictate timing (disagree if you want, the proof is in the pudding). Most phones for carrierers (not OEMS) get some sort of true announcement a few days before release/pre order. Seeing is how the 920 is NOT supposed to hit shelves until Nov, we have at least a week to go.

Why don't we all hold tight for a bit before we hang MS out to dry? Especially since their major W8 (everything) has yet to happen...

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Is anyone thinking about how carrierers launch these things? Apple is the only dominant figure that can dictate timing (disagree if you want, the proof is in the pudding). Most phones for carrierers (not OEMS) get some sort of true announcement a few days before release/pre order. Seeing is how the 920 is NOT supposed to hit shelves until Nov, we have at least a week to go.

Why don't we all hold tight for a bit before we hang MS out to dry? Especially since their major W8 (everything) has yet to happen...

Because MS and Nokia thought it was a good idea to announce the product in the beginning of September but not allow people to actually use the phone because the OS wasn't ready. It doesn't look good when a product is nearing 2 months of public knowledge and still hasn't been handled fully or given a release date/price. And it isn't just carriers, they did the same thing with Surface.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Because MS and Nokia thought it was a good idea to announce the product in the beginning of September but not allow people to actually use the phone because the OS wasn't ready. It doesn't look good when a product is nearing 2 months of public knowledge and still hasn't been handled fully or given a release date/price. And it isn't just carriers, they did the same thing with Surface.
Meh... I see your point, but don't necessarily agree with it...

Everyone knew that the MS event was going to be held in late Oct. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to expect devices running the WP8/W8 OS' wouldn't be available until then.

Having said that, what would we have done IF Nokia/HTC/Samsung (yeah, lets not forget they all did the same thing) announced the price 2 months ago? Sat here and over analyzed "is it worth that?" "I can get this much memory for this much money." "The camera tech isn't that valuable." Blah blah blah.

The internet is always going to have something to complain about.

And besides, we all should have a pretty good idea of pricing after the whole BB debacle. :confused:

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
Meh... I see your point, but don't necessarily agree with it...

Everyone knew that the MS event was going to be held in late Oct. Therefore, it is not unreasonable to expect devices running the WP8/W8 OS' wouldn't be available until then.

Having said that, what would we have done IF Nokia/HTC/Samsung (yeah, lets not forget they all did the same thing) announced the price 2 months ago? Sat here and over analyzed "is it worth that?" "I can get this much memory for this much money." "The camera tech isn't that valuable." Blah blah blah.

The internet is always going to have something to complain about.

And besides, we all should have a pretty good idea of pricing after the whole BB debacle. :confused:

I agree with your points, it just seemed like a wasted opportunity to get great PR with the Lumias and then not have anything for 7 weeks. Either that event should have been later or there should have been a stream of info or leaks to keep it relevant.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think the point is...."Stop. Start. Silence" isn't a very good launch strategy for any product you want to build and SUSTAIN buzz on. We've already had "announcements" or "preview events" for both Windows Phone 8 AND the Lumia 920. But then, all parties involved went silent on both for several weeks. Now, we're due to have a final (?) announcement event on Monday, but that's just going to reassure people who were already interested and provide them with details.

All of the tech journalism oxygen will be taken up by the Surface launch a few days prior, the iPad Mini launch a few days after, the new Nexus devices onsale and the latest version of Android, etc., etc.

These things (except for Surface) are relatively new. No Windows Phone 8 handset, including the Lumia 920, can say the same. They seem more familiar and older with each passing week.

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
Either that event should have been later or there should have been a stream of info or leaks to keep it relevant.

100% on this - it could have been done with a little more "bait."

Edit - This is in reference to the "stream of info" bit.

Last edited:

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site
I disagree entirely. It staved people from jumping on the iPhone 5.

You're saying dropping more hints along the way would have enticed people to go with iPhone 5? How would knowing more about a superior product drive people to a lesser product???

I work in marketing, and last time I checked, it didn't work that way.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb