Did Best Buy undercut AT&T's pricing?

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
Is it possible that AT&T is furious with Best Buy's windows phone 8 pricing and maybe that's why the pre-orders have been halted. I know their website says "sold out" but that was awfully quick for a product that was never advertised by BB until the actual pre-order date itself. Interestingly enough it is now stated on several other sites that the Verizon Lumia 822 (inferior to both the 920 and HTC 8X) and HTC Windows Phone 8X will be selling for $99 and $199 respectively in Verizon stores on November 12. Best Buy's AT&T HTC 8X $99 pricing is a full $100 less than the Verizon model. Could it be that maybe AT&T's pricing was to be more inline with Verizon's, and Best Buy inadvertantly lowballed AT&T? The HTC 8X remains on the BB site at $99. Is it possible that when AT&T launches their WP8 phones the Lumia 920 will cost more than the Best Buy pre-order prices?

Last edited:

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site
The last thing you said doesn't make sense. I thought the 822 was selling for $99? But anyhow, if Best Buy made a mistake and sold the 920 for less than it was supposed to be, oh well. The customers who got the cheaper price don't have to pay extra because if it was an error, it was THEIR screwup. I'm not even an AT&T customer, but I'm curious as to why they pulled the pre-orders. I don't know, the first thing that pops into my mind is that they underestimated how many phones they had and the orders exceeded that amount.

danferan

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
I don't think AT&T cares

AT&T is after the contract, which they'll still get. If Best Buy wants to lower their handset prices to get people in the store, I don't think it affects AT&T. They probably subsidize for whatever their standard amount is, and anything on top of that is up to the retailer. Maybe Best Buy thought they could make up for it with protection plans, accessories, and other supplementary purchases.

palandri

Retired Moderator
Jul 25, 2009
Visit site
The last thing you said doesn't make sense. I thought the 822 was selling for $99? But anyhow, if Best Buy made a mistake and sold the 920 for less than it was supposed to be, oh well. The customers who got the cheaper price don't have to pay extra because if it was an error, it was THEIR screwup. I'm not even an AT&T customer, but I'm curious as to why they pulled the pre-orders. I don't know, the first thing that pops into my mind is that they underestimated how many phones they had and the orders exceeded that amount.

Best Buy can easily cancel all the pre-orders if it comes down to a mistake in pricing.

I think what TenTwelve is correct. I think Best Buy just has to post a disclaimer.

Yangstax

Sep 1, 2012
Visit site
Best Buy can easily cancel all the pre-orders if it comes down to a mistake in pricing.
Just visited the local BB store, the rep told me that they would accept pre-order at the store and they would also honor the $149 price shown on the web earlier. She mentioned that AT&T price was supposed to be at $199. I suggest that you go visit your local store and see if they will tell you the same story I heard. Place you pre-order right away if they accept the web quoted price ($149). That's a super deal.

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
AT&T pushed back the preorder date but Best Buy didn't realize this somehow and went ahead and opened them up. So any preorder that went through is legit, they just closed them with "sold out" until the new date is reached.

maj71303

May 11, 2012
Visit site

Just visited the local BB store, the rep told me that they would accept pre-order at the store and they would also honor the $149 price shown on the web earlier. She mentioned that AT&T price was supposed to be at $199. I suggest that you go visit your local store and see if they will tell you the same story I heard. Place you pre-order right away if they accept the web quoted price ($149). That's a super deal.

So what you saying is that BestBuy cut of the spigot to make sure this won't turn into a PR nightmare and it's a manageable number of phones for them to eat the $50. That BB screwed up(which isn't a surprise) and goat ***ked the process with AT&T and they both have to think of a way to manage this without having a bad PR for both of them. And you also saying that if you didn't get in the preorders you made a $50 mistake.;) Got it

But don't be surprised if BB has disclaimers like all businesses do that get them out of this or you get an email asking for that remaining $50.

Last edited:

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
I've already explained what actually happened multiple times on this forum. And I got this information from a friend who is a regional sales manager for AT&T in Arizona.

So ***** and moan all you want people, but the best buy orders are sticking and AT&T will have theirs next week along with Best Buy resuming theirs.

Villain

Mar 6, 2011
Visit site
I've already explained what actually happened multiple times on this forum. And I got this information from a friend who is a regional sales manager for AT&T in Arizona.

So ***** and moan all you want people, but the best buy orders are sticking and AT&T will have theirs next week along with Best Buy resuming theirs.
getting a lil hostile ain't ya? lol relax

you also said you knew Verizon was going to announce the 920 the day after AT&T did.

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Success-Kid-INTERNET-SERIOUS-BUSINESS-300x300.jpg

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb