BGR: 920 Launching November 11th

Beltelmel

Oct 24, 2012
Visit site
That's a Sunday and we know AT&T likes to launch on Sundays. Also some European sites are saying they are launching on Monday November 12 so it sounds like it could be accurate.

razorguy

Aug 21, 2012
Visit site
That seems like a solid release date given the rumor it got pushed back a week. I'm waiting to pick mine up until black Friday since I've waited months already..might as well wait a little longer. Hopefully if the $150 price holds up for it, I'll be able to snatch it up for even cheaper. I'll feel dumb if there aren't any deals on it though :p

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
They seem pretty confident, but it wouldn't be the first time they were wrong:

Nokia Lumia 920 release date: AT&T to launch Lumia 920 on November 11 | BGR

I think that the date is about right.

Those European press releases have all been pointing out for mid November release as have some stores for some weeks already.
There has just sometimes been misinformation that has raised hope on some people about earlier release date, just to be later on proven not to be real or moved to that mid November as well.
That red line has for some times already been ~November 11-15 for Lumia 920.

My Lumia's will hold on that and it gives me more time to save for X86 W8 tablet+Lumia 920+charging stand so i'm more than fine with this. :)

mcphersc

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
I was still hoping that somehow they'd get it out by Nov 4th. This is getting somewhat annoying. What is the point of launching Windows Phone 8 next Monday (29th) and bringing the first phones to market two weeks later. Actually surprise us for once and don't keep your customers waiting. They've already been testing people's patience since all the hardware launches happened in September and we're all still waiting around to get concrete details on pricing and availability :mad:

nokiafan99

Oct 9, 2012
Visit site
I think Microsoft and Nokia are missing a point here.... its better to release the phone and generate positive feedback among consumers who have no clue about what is a windows phone and Nokia Lumia 920 before Google comes out with its Nexus army next week. At least start pre-orders and marketing blitz

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I think Microsoft and Nokia are missing a point here.... its better to release the phone and generate positive feedback among consumers who have no clue about what is a windows phone and Nokia Lumia 920 before Google comes out with its Nexus army next week. At least start pre-orders and marketing blitz

Unfortunately, Microsoft just didn't get their ducks in a row. The whole point of branding Windows Phone 8 was to go all-out ALONGSIDE Windows 8 and Surface. A huge high-visibility launch would reboot the platform and the get the customers in stores excited about using one OS and its variants for computer/tablet/phone.

They got Surface and Windows 8 fine. Windows Phone 8 is unfortunately lagging as stores are still scrambling to get preorders and training down. The only handset launching across multiple carriers in the US is the HTC 8X, and in case you haven't seen their financials from this morning, they're not exactly the most lusted after brand right now. Sharing almost identical specs to the One X doesn't help either (gorgeous screen excepted). I hope the colors will make something of a difference, but I dunno.....

Fact is, a lot of discretionary holiday cash is already spoken for. People have already plunked down for Surfaces, new Windows 8 laptop/tablet hybrids, iPad Minis, iPad 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Note II, the usual video game consoles, etc.....

That's a lot of casual purchases that Microsoft didn't give themselves or their partners a chance to grab. They (just) made Black Friday, but it's going to take time for advertising to (hopefully) ramp-up and penetrate. Neither Nokia nor HTC have the cash to do huge ad buys, so it's all on Microsoft.

We'll see how serious they are come Monday.

NinaNachthexen

Oct 17, 2012
Visit site
Launch

I agree. I'm getting sick of playing Cat and Mouse with MS/Nokia and their pre-order/release dates. For Heaven's sake atleast let me pre-order already. Losing what little patience I have :excl:

tissotti

Oct 26, 2011
Visit site
I agree. I'm getting sick of playing Cat and Mouse with MS/Nokia and their pre-order/release dates. For Heaven's sake atleast let me pre-order already. Losing what little patience I have :excl:

Myself pre-ordered 2 weeks after Lumia 920 announcement.
Loving the fact i don't need to follow these operators and just pick the phone wherever i want.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I just called Best Buy and they told me my preorder will ship anywhere between 11/01 and 11/09.....wtf?

They are probably just piecing together rumors and other information. Until there is an official announcement (and even after that...) the chances of anyone giving reliable information is below 50%.

erasure25

Jan 24, 2011
Visit site
Well, at least we have a date. Although its a bit embarrassing that Apple can come in, announce a new product (iPad mini) and have it released all within a few weeks while the Lumia 920 was announced months ago and will be released well after the iPad mini......

VagrantWade

Aug 27, 2012
Visit site
Well, at least we have a date. Although its a bit embarrassing that Apple can come in, announce a new product (iPad mini) and have it released all within a few weeks while the Lumia 920 was announced months ago and will be released well after the iPad mini......

I hate this mentality. You say this as if we didn't basically know everything about the iPad mini months before it actually released. Just because Apple didn't FORMALLY announce it until the day it could be bought, doesn't mean people weren't waiting for it.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
I hate this mentality. You say this as if we didn't basically know everything about the iPad mini months before it actually released. Just because Apple didn't FORMALLY announce it until the day it could be bought, doesn't mean people weren't waiting for it.

Again, knowing that an iPad mini is coming is not the same as knowing that THE iPad mini is imminent.

Using this logic, we should feel even angrier about Nokia because we knew a WP8 Nokia was coming from the moment WP8 was announced.

The start point is the official announcement because that's when you have a GUARANTEED product that actually exists. Nokia got everybody excited, killed a lot of it by having no details due to the software being unfinished, and have watch the rest drip away as iPad Mini, iPad 4, iPhone 5, Galaxy Note II, Kindle Fire HD, etc., etc. all made it to market before the 920 or ANY Windows Phone 8 handset for that matter made it to market.

Almost all of those devices had a shorter announcement-to-retail-shelves time than the Lumia 920. Actually, thanks to the Lumia being pushed back a week, they actually DID all have a shorter time!

Even the Galaxy Note II (announced August 29th, onsale in the UK 30 days later, onsale in the US 55 days later).

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99