What the deuce....STILL NO US DATE OR PRICE?

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
Not that hard to figure out, about a billion different sources say Nov 11-12 and price is probably going to be $199 and $599 off contract.

If those numbers aren't accurate, I promise you they are very, very close.

Now relax.

I'm not only relaxed, but I find myself laughing at this all.

There's an art to launching a device, and it's not coincidental that the two companies who execute launches the best - Samsung and Apple - are running the mobile industry right now. Apple excels at "...And you can get ________ right now (or next week)". Samsung excels at "Here are these awesome specs and you can get them on every carrier".

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
It is easy for Apple to provide launch date and pricing information for their devices, since they control the software, the hardware, and the distribution themselves.

Same with Google, and their Nexus products, to a certain extent.

Reeves

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
It is easy for Apple to provide launch date and pricing information for their devices, since they control the software, the hardware, and the distribution themselves.

Same with Google, and their Nexus products, to a certain extent.

Again, I get that Microsoft only does the software (for now).

But the OS was released to their partners Sept. 14. They didn't send the invite for this event out until Oct. 4.

Why schedule an event if you haven't already coordinated with your partners to provide FINAL info? Especially when you've already had THREE prior events.

In case you haven't noticed, Apple has partners as well. They are the very same carriers who are dribbling vague info out about Windows Phone 8 devices. This never happens with an iPhone.

If Microsoft truly wants to be one of the big boys, getting details like this right are crucial. Now, all people who watched that event have to take away from it are a bunch of 7-7.9/10 reviews and some vague release windows for several of the devices.

What happened to the plan to have pre-orders start on the same day (e.g. Oct. 21)? Were pre-orders even mentioned?

mlm1950

Aug 6, 2012
Visit site
Again, I get that Microsoft only does the software (for now).

But the OS was released to their partners Sept. 14. They didn't send the invite for this event out until Oct. 4.

Why schedule an event if you haven't already coordinated with your partners to provide FINAL info? Especially when you've already had THREE prior events.

In case you haven't noticed, Apple has partners as well. They are the very same carriers who are dribbling vague info out about Windows Phone 8 devices. This never happens with an iPhone.

If Microsoft truly wants to be one of the big boys, getting details like this right are crucial. Now, all people who watched that event have to take away from it are a bunch of 7-7.9/10 reviews and some vague release windows for several of the devices.

What happened to the plan to have pre-orders start on the same day (e.g. Oct. 21)? Were pre-orders even mentioned?

I agree that it is silly to have an event to just launch WP8, and not have firm commitments on the the release dates for the products your software is going on.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of the delay is due to sales training. MS and their manufacturers want to make sure that the sales people are at least somewhat familiar with the OS and its features. They couldn't train them because they wanted to keep the features a secret (even though nothing new was announced today). Therefore, even though the OS has been available to manufacturers and is released today the training won't actually start for a few days which means a launch this week is not probable.

I think that is why it is launching internationally first where it appears (from my limited perspective) that less focus is put on the carriers' sales people. I think it would have made sense for it to be 'available immediately' online, and then in stores a week later when people have been trained.

jmajid

Oct 5, 2012
Visit site
I think a lot of the delay is due to sales training. MS and their manufacturers want to make sure that the sales people are at least somewhat familiar with the OS and its features. They couldn't train them because they wanted to keep the features a secret (even though nothing new was announced today). Therefore, even though the OS has been available to manufacturers and is released today the training won't actually start for a few days which means a launch this week is not probable.

I think that is why it is launching internationally first where it appears (from my limited perspective) that less focus is put on the carriers' sales people. I think it would have made sense for it to be 'available immediately' online, and then in stores a week later when people have been trained.

How was Verizon able to train their personnel then?
and...
Why didnt ATT announce before the event also...like the other carriers who both are offering Nokia devices?

EDIT: i get it - be patient - but come on... they want it exclusive, so give it to people already.

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
How was Verizon able to train their personnel then?
and...
Why didnt ATT announce before the event also...like the other carriers who both are offering Nokia devices?

EDIT: i get it - be patient - but come on... they want it exclusive, so give it to people already.

From what I read on the Verge is that the release dates are still mid/late November. I would view that as Verizon and AT&T having different strategies, announce early and make people wait versus make people wait for an announcement but say 'available next week.'

lennyk1313

Oct 21, 2012
Visit site
We can sit here and analyse everything and try to defend why there are delays and so on, but the point here is that if you want your product to be successful, you have to make sure not only to have a good software/hardware you have to have a great marketing strategy. So far between Microsoft, Nokia, and AT&T it has been a big pile of mess once again. I would thing that companies learn from their past failures. No matter who is the OEM, and who is the re-seller here, they all need to properly coordinate such big and important events. All the training needs to take place prior to the announcement. They need to coordinate the release date, the pricing and so on before the big event. This is the only way you can hope for a successful product sales!

Landsharkk

Oct 6, 2012
Visit site
ROGERS in Canada releases the Lumia 920 tomorrow. Isn't that the same/sister company of AT&T? I think this is a good sign that it's coming very very soon to the U.S. (as in this week).

chevans920

Sep 24, 2012
Visit site

I stopped in my AT&T store on Sunday just to ask around and they sales guy there told me they had been through some videos "last week, but we haven't gotten a device in here to play around with yet." He then proceeded to ask me if I had seen the new Galaxy... after I explained to him my distaste for Android, he did agree (willingly) that WP8 was going to have some "really cool features" that he was excited about and that the "whole MS integration is fantastic."

No info on a date/price, though...

The day's not getting any younger ;)

I second this!!!

theefman

Nov 14, 2008
Visit site
Verizon Release date and Pricing announced.
T-mobile Release date and Pricing announced.
AT&T Nothing!

I mean come on AT&T really? Not to mention all these separate events for Nokia, Windows 8 mobile, and AT&T separate announcement. When will they learn. Question is who should learn from all of this, Microsoft, Nokia or AT&T?

Maybe its been cancelled? :D

pavvento

Jan 6, 2012
Visit site
As per the Microsoft Press Release it doesn't look like anything is extremely imminent:

AT&T will carry the Nokia Lumia 920, the Lumia 820 and the Windows Phone 8X by HTC, all going on sale in November. AT&T will have more to share on prices in the coming weeks.

Microsoft Unveils Windows Phone 8

km99

Oct 15, 2012
Visit site
Getting sick of it. And I don't want to hear from anyone any more to wait!
I understand the MS is a software company and have no control on when AT&T will be able to start selling the phones, but come on!! Are you telling me that MS has absolutely no influence on the carriers? After all that waiting and anticipation for today and still no concrete dates on the one freaking phone that everyone is talking about and the one phone they are holding in their hands and demoing???? Don't tell me "thats" the phone everybody wants!!! If not then don't put it in my face anymore!
Sorry I am frustrated. I have been with Apple for 5 years and can't wait to make the switch and I am truly excited about MS Windows Phone. I just hate the teasing and waiting which I think is absolutely unnecessary and uncalled for.
Get on with it!!!

GivenToFly55

Oct 29, 2012
Visit site
Can't wait to get my Lumia 920 and I'm sure I'll be happy with it.

It's just a shame to watch a company that could of potentially made a comeback fail so bad by today's tech standards.

jbwpcentral

Sep 27, 2012
Visit site
Nokia - Lumia 920 4G with 32GB Mobile Phone - Black (AT&T) - 920

I just used the cached version of the best buy link. it showed the phone as in stock, with a few clicks it went through.
You can do this with any color just search:

Nokia Lumia 920 (whatever color you want), then choose the cached copy.

Also make sure you check out as guest. for some reason when i signed in, it disappeared from my cart every time i tried to order it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720